The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Behringer TM300 Tube Amp Modeler Pedal
Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2018 1:59 pm    

Has anyone used one of these? It has a Tweed amp, Mesa Boogie and Marshall amp sampling in it. Kinda crazy that it would work, but for $25 you gotta try it? I'd like some feedback if anyone has given it a shot or opinions.
Thanks

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2018 6:50 am    

I've never had a behringer product that I've used regularly. Had a mini mixer that worked fine, but I only used it a few times.

Have one friend with an old Behringer bass amp that seems to be built like a tank. He's never had a problem with it.

However - several friends have used some of their other products, pedals, powered mixers, and some have reported that the units would just stop working one day, without any warning. So $25 can be an easy pricetag, but it comes with caveats.

Personally, I use a lot of inexpensive gear and I'd be game to try their stuff, but I wouldn't necessarily RELY ON any Behringer products for gigs, based on my friends' experiences.

Inexpensive pedals I use: Mooer, Joyo, Donner. I don't know that Behringer is any better or worse than these, just haven't had any issues as of yet. The Donner actually might be a little if-y.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2018 6:57 am    

Roy, I have no experience with that modeler but have used many others including Line 6, Boss, Johnson J Station, Digitech, and Korg. Compared to my real Fender twin reverb and Deluxe reverb they do rather poorly. Best modeler to date is the Fender Mustang 111 v2 that I recently purchased. Now thats my own personal opinion and you may be satisfied with the sound of the others. All of these do a decent overdrive and distortion sound but not the Fender clean tone I expected. You may have a different opinion of the same. They have gotten closer with the newest versions.

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2018 10:20 am    

I tried one because it was cheap. Gave it away because it was dull and generally horrid.

(For calibration, I don't hate modelers, and have a Boss GT-1 I use happily with several instruments.)

--Al Evans

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2018 1:46 pm    

there's a reason every one want to model after the classic tube amps , but they never really quite get there when compared to the original amps.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2018 7:06 am    

Greg Lambert wrote:
there's a reason every one want to model after the classic tube amps , but they never really quite get there when compared to the original amps.

That's probably because the "original amp" sound is composed of 3 things: an amplifier, a speaker, and a cabinet. Some modelers can do the amp part fairly well, but they can't do the speaker and the cabinet. You'll never get a fifteen in a big cabinet to sound like two tens in a smaller one, or vice versa.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2018 7:11 am    

I've got several software amp modelers for my recording studio and none do anything for me. I've also got some mic modeling and I hear some slight differences but I don't have the original mic's to compare so I can't say if the mic modelers are close/right on.