The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Digitech RP360 and RP360xp
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2018 9:05 am    

I'm not generally a fan of entirely digital processors, but I'm having a lot of fun lately with this Digitech RP360 XP. They also make a smaller version without the expression pedal that's simply the RP360. The unit connects to your computer via USB so you can more easily program it and choose from a huge range of effects. Since it's Digitech, they have a number of Lexicon reverbs in there. They have amp modeling, but I'm not using it at the moment. Great tape and analog delays. EQ if you need a bit more tone control. Lots of dirt and modulation options. But I'm just using the tape delay and the plate reverb and a shade of EQ. You can assign the expression pedal to do just about any parameter. I even had it set up with the expression as the volume pedal - and you can assign where in the chain the expression pedal falls, so I naturally placed it before the delay and reverb. It actually worked on my single 10 placed where the volume pedal goes. I definitely prefer the sound with a black box or freeloader in front of it to really capture the pickup in the best way possible.

But overall, it's a pretty darn impressive all-in-one effects unit. And having the total control of setting it up using my laptop (mac or PC) makes it really easy and kinda fun.

Ed Pettersen

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2018 10:28 am    

They are very impressive. I keep one around. Using the software is key IMO. Allows lots of tweaking. Tons of great sounds in there.

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2018 10:41 am    

It really does go deep, really loaded with stuff, and the audio quality is impressive. For me, my main interest is simply using it as a delay/reverb unit. The smaller one without expression pedal is only $149. I haven't gigged with it yet, but I'll chime back in once I have.

B

Ed Pettersen

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2018 11:44 am    

Brad Sarno wrote:
It really does go deep, really loaded with stuff, and the audio quality is impressive. For me, my main interest is simply using it as a delay/reverb unit. The smaller one without expression pedal is only $149. I haven't gigged with it yet, but I'll chime back in once I have.

B

I have the one with expression which is great for wah and Whammy stuff.

I've gigged with it. Nobody knew the difference <g>.

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2018 5:47 pm    

The Digitech stuff is great! I've been using the RP155 for a number of years, it works really well. I'm pretty sure it has most of the same effects as the 360, just a smaller, simpler package. I think the amp models are really good. I almost always used the Bassman model and the 410 speaker model. The eq section can give you anything from a clean tone to heavy distortion. The Delays and Reverbs sound great too. Mostly I have been using Carvin Bass amps, the BX500 and MB250, which have an inherently clean sound. Adding the RP155 gives me all the effects that I'll ever need.

Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2018 10:03 pm     Rp360

Hey Brad..I have a rp360 on my pedal board..can you upload your steel patch to digitech so it can be imported to others simply?? I think you can but not totally sure. Here is a pic of a RP360 without the expression pedal and one of its little brothers a RP55 which is much smaller but does about 80% of the same thing..These are quite extensive pedals and can supply noise gates, compression, reverbs, chorus, delay, distortions, drums and much more in 1 pedal..the RP55 is less than $50 on ebay.

Music is good for the soul..playing it is even better! Gretsch6strLapSteel*PeaveyNashville400*HudsonSD-10*DigitechRP360*FenderChampion100*PeaveyKB300*Goodrich120*Behringerx1204*BehringerMini4*Mullen S10"Discovery"*Peavey Vegas400*Princeton112plus*SuperChampX2*SidekickReverb65*Rumble100*MarshallMG50DFX*Nashville112

Last edited by Derrick Unger on 4 Dec 2018 7:38 pm; edited 3 times in total

Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2018 10:05 pm     Rp360

Hey Brad..I have a rp360 on my pedal board..can you upload your steel patch to digitech so it can be imported to others simply?? I think you can but not totally sure.
Music is good for the soul..playing it is even better! Gretsch6strLapSteel*PeaveyNashville400*HudsonSD-10*DigitechRP360*FenderChampion100*PeaveyKB300*Goodrich120*Behringerx1204*BehringerMini4*Mullen S10"Discovery"*Peavey Vegas400*Princeton112plus*SuperChampX2*SidekickReverb65*Rumble100*MarshallMG50DFX*Nashville112

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2018 9:35 am    

Derrick, once I feel like I've got some good stuff dialed in, I'll figure out a way to share the presets.

I also just discovered how to to Tap-Tempo on the delay. Simply have it in "pedal" mode where each of the 3 buttons is a pedal bypass switch, hold down the corresponding delay button for 2 seconds and it begins blinking. Then it behaves as a tap tempo. Hold down for 2 seconds again and it's back to a bypass button.

B

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2018 12:10 pm    

Looks like it has the same pedal models as the Digitech iStomp, which was discontinued, probably because it didn't do what this thing does (use more than one model at a time). Sounds on the iStomp are pretty great, for the most part, so I'm guessing this unit is even better.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2018 11:17 am    

Brad, do you place this to the left of your volume pedal so you can use it as a wah and expression? Curious. I've got the Zoom MS-50G pedal which has a lot of virtual stompboxes, but setting it up is so counterintuitive to how my mind works, I barely ever use it, and keep forgetting how to properly string things together. Is the Digitech fairly easy to use and program?

Garry Simpson

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2018 3:06 pm    

I use the RP155 mainly for the reverbs and delays. I like the sounds I get from it. If you use the software and make some presets, all is good. The down side it is somewhat difficult to modify on the fly.

Ed Pettersen

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2018 6:09 pm    

John McClung wrote:
Brad, do you place this to the left of your volume pedal so you can use it as a wah and expression? Curious. I've got the Zoom MS-50G pedal which has a lot of virtual stompboxes, but setting it up is so counterintuitive to how my mind works, I barely ever use it, and keep forgetting how to properly string things together. Is the Digitech fairly easy to use and program?

I'm not Brad (obviously) but yes, it is fairly easy to program. For some presets the expression pedal is my volume, for others it's wah or Whammy (it's assignable).

BTW-There's a cool free app called Gadwin Tonelib for the MS-50G (which I love once programmed well) that makes it much easier to tweak.

Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2018 9:31 pm     Rp360

I have found a true statement regarding tech...use it or loose it..these pedals can do a lot..they are multi-effect pedals..in general these pedals can replace a whole board of single use pedals but they do have a learning curve..but once you have a 'patch' created it can be saved anywhere between a choice of 1 tru 100 or whatever and dialed up quickly..for pedal steel you would probably only use 5 or 6 at best IMO..I didn't show a pic of the available 3 button accessory footswitch that is nice to have (works with the RP360 and the digitech band trio pedal..point is if you don't use it steadily, you will forget and then everytime will be like learning over.

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2018 7:52 am    

John McClung wrote:

Hey John. At first I actually tried it using the expression pedal as my volume pedal. I don't think one can do this if they have aC6 neck as it would collide with the c6 pedals. But on my S-10 steels it fit just fine. But then I switched over to my real steel guitar volume pedals and then placed this RP360 out to the right where I could see it easily. I'm still just getting the feel for using it and haven't gigged with it.

My general plan with this thing is that for some of my gigs where I play both guitar and steel and need a very compact stage setup. In that case I think that for steel I'll disable the expression pedal but for guitar I'll use it as a master volume control. Still thinking this out.

It actually worked pretty well with the entire unit planted there as my volume pedal. The only issue I had with the RP360 XP as a volume pedal was that at the very, very bottom, right where it goes from silent to barely on, there's a tiny bump, not a perfectly smooth volume onset. But thru 95% of the range it was actually a decent taper and feel as a volume pedal, quite usable. But I'm picky and prefer the more perfect action of a real steel volume pedal.

I think that if I were to get one of these for steel guitar only, I'd probably get the cheaper/smaller RP360 without the expresson pedal and I'd consider propping it up on something to my right so I could adjust, change presets, and tap-tempo by hand, but I still haven't worked these ideas out yet.

Mainly I'm just generally impressed with the sound quality of the signal path as I generally don't care to fully digitize my dry guitar signal. It's pretty darn clean and colorless. And the delay and reverb effects are excellent and with the app it's really fun and easy to adjust and fine-tweak settings. It's got some very high quality reverb algorithms in there, but being Digitech/Lexicon, that's not a surprise.

To make a long answer longer, now you've got me thinking about trying it to the left of my vol pedal and using the expression as a controller of things, like reverb mix or decay time, or delay mix, or wah, or drive level on a dirt preset, or tremolo rate, or whatever. That may be cool, but again won't fit under a D-10 with C6 pedals in the way.

B

Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2018 11:19 am     Rp360

Hey Brad..a couple confusing things I'll make note of..I have the regular RP360 W/O the onboard expression pedal..I have used it with my Goodrich pedal but I bought a cheap Quick-lok pedal off of amazon for $25..works great..you set it up in the 360 software and I have no burps as far as bumps in volume..one cable hookup to 360 and you can put it where-ever you want since it is separate from the 360 pedal..I don't know if your 360 has this option since your pedal is built-in..next..you said something about putting unit up by you..I included a pic of the accessory footswitch which is not very big but will control all the switching from the floor.