The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Laney Hicks - Bill Ferguson
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2018 7:11 am    

I have posted some individual clips from this before, but I wanted to document the entire show.
This was a Sunday afternoon in Bristol, VA. Laney Hicks had worked the Midnight Jamboree in Nashville, the night before. She drove all night long to get to Bristol for part of the show.
Since she had not sung, I asked her to sing on my closing set and boy did she sing.

Now the funny part was that Russ Hicks wanted to make a joke of this, so he got my wife's cell phone and called me on stage to tell me to "get Laney up to sing", so she could sell some CD's.

Well, you will just have to watch to find out the rest.

Jim Unger - Fiddle
Jack Mollette - Guitar
Wayne Smith - Bass
Jim Hartley - Drums.

This was right after I received my newest Carter Steel that Bud Carter had Hand Picked the wood for.
At the close of my set, John Hughey, Herby Wallace, Randy Beavers and Doug Jernigan were all standing right up next to the front of my steel (Talk about nerves of steel). John Hughey laid his hands on my strings and said "This is a KEEPER". All you steel players will know what that means.

Enjoy

https://youtu.be/HF2FPtvvNUk
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2018 9:01 am    

Hi Bill, I haven't heard much about Russ and Laney lately. Are they still performing?

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2018 11:10 am    

They divorced several years ago. Russ still plays some gigs. Haven't heard from Laney in a few years
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2018 11:17 am    

Sorry to hear that... Thanks Bill.

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2018 4:13 pm    

Hi Bill

Another good post of steel playing - and this this time an opportunity to see and hear you play traditional country music.

"Well played"

Best Regards
Ron

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2018 10:17 am    

Bill Ferguson wrote:
They divorced several years ago. Russ still plays some gigs. Haven't heard from Laney in a few years

I think that was Laney on Country's Family Reunion on RFDTV last night. I believe the last name she used was Smallwood, which I think is her maiden name.

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2018 1:04 pm    

That Carter did sound good Bill. Nice job sir by all of you.