The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Half stop on Pedal A?
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2018 10:33 am    

Is it possible? Is there a mechanical reason why it is not a standard E9 change?

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2018 11:15 am    

Sure its possible, but it typically never feels right.. I tried it, and it just didn't work out .. Others have as well, and took it off.. You either overshoot it when trying to "half pedal", or start to dislike the feel of the half stop when pedaling into the full tone pull..
Working on half pedaling effectively is a better strategy... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2018 11:20 am    

Thanks, Bob. I was wondering if half stops on pedals were even a possibility. There seem to be as many uses for the half tone raise on 5 & 10 as the full raise, so I’ll just keep plugging away on that half pedal technique...

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2018 11:33 am    

This is why a lot of people lower their 5th string to Bb on LKV with split tuning. Pressing the A pedal gives your ankle leverage to raise your knee, and the LKV lowers the C# note to C.

The most useful result is that A+B+V turns the "pedals down" chord from major to minor (Am on the open strings, Fm at the 8th fret).

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2018 11:55 am    

Bob, as much as I lust for that vertical lever, it is not possible on my guitar. And that A+B+V change still seems like having to fly to Tulsa and Omaha just to get the cheap fare to St. Louis. I think I am turning into a C6 player in E9 clothing,. I love sliding from maj7 to m7 without changing grips, which the half-A allows with my configuration.

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2018 11:58 am    

A very common use of half-pedaling A is to get an augmented chord. It provides a nice leading tone when going from a I to IV.

But if you don't like half-pedaling for some reason, another option is this:
From the no-pedals position, drop back one fret and hit A+B+F to get the augmented chord.

From there, you can slide up one fret into the IV chord (releasing the F lever in the process while staying on AB).

Glenn Taylor

Denver, CO, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2018 12:36 pm    

I too tried the half stop on the A pedal years ago, and I found it a no-go. I do use my LKV to lower strings 5 and 10 a half step, which I use all the time with and without the A pedal.

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2018 12:56 pm    

Fred Treece wrote:
And that A+B+V change still seems like having to fly to Tulsa and Omaha just to get the cheap fare to St. Louis.

Laughing That's a good way of describing how I've always felt about splits.

I find half-pedaling for the augmented not a problem, but half-pedaling for the minor much more difficult to get right. The E lowers one fret up for the minor is my preference.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2018 12:39 am    

Consider it like bending a string on a guitar. Except we are doing it with our foot ! Laughing

The A pedal half stop feel is a very important execution on our instrument, it creates a MOOD, a feel, a Vibe , Tension, call it whatever. Don't look for an easy way out , practice it over and over until YOU are part of the touch.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2018 12:49 am    

Tony speaks the Truth!!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2018 10:06 am    

I also tried a half stop on the A pedal. Too hard to feel the stop. Not enough resistance to feel where the stop is. I tried this on a Super Pro. I tried the mechanical stop from the 2nd string and had to use a stronger spring to be able to be able to feel the stop. And with increased tension, it really screwed up the A pedal as far as using slow and smooth movements of the 5th string diminishing the effectiveness on slower, emotional type songs.

I learned to half pedal both raising and lowering . I don't use the B to Bb lower on a lever (yet). I've tried it in the past, but didn't use it enough to tie up a knee lever on a change I wouldn't use much. I will have to add a vertical on the Mullen SD12.

I also like the moving sound you get by moving the major chord with A&B moving up 1 fret while releasing A&B and lowering the E strings. This is my preferred method, although I have little trouble releasing the A pedal half way to get the minor, but that movement seems blah to me.

Forgot to mention, Tony is 150% correct. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2018 11:30 am    

Thank you all for explaining this. I have a half-stop on a lever, and I can understand how having one on the A pedal might interfere with its effectiveness when trying to fully engage it.

Acknowledging suggestions from the drill sergeants among us, including myself:
“Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory.” —-George Patton

colin mcintosh

Australia
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2018 2:05 am    

I've adjusted the A pedal so that when it is pressed to the level of the B pedal the note is a C.
I remember reading about this years ago. It requires some sensitivity to feel the B pedal but after a while it does work.

Franklin

Post  Posted 3 Dec 2018 2:23 am    

Its muscle memory...Practice half pedals throughout the copedant...Jeff Beck can take a whammy bar without any stops and lower strings to any interval movement because he spent the time memorizing the feel of the tremolo bars....Pedals are no different.. Take the time to memorize a half stop feel without stops and you will love the benefits your memory brings to the table. With groups 2 and 3 I use Pedals A&B down then I lower my E's. Now at the same time I lower the lever, I also elease pedal A to the 1/2 pedal position for one of the prettiest diminish chords on the guitar.
Paul

Jay Coover

Seattle, WA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2018 2:15 pm    

Also, you can get the iv minor by sliding up a half fret and engaging the E lever (drop E). A little different flavor in the transition to it, but the chord is right there.

That is, 3A+B+V or 3A(1/2)+B are the same as 4E. (C minor)