The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pay Pal
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2018 12:09 pm    

Wayne, from reading many PayPal threads over the years here, my impression is that most problems have been as a result of a mis-step on one side or the other of a transaction resulting in a hold on funds placed by PayPal, some from several years ago when some of the “rules” were different. There also seems to be a bit of resentment to embracing “e commerce” in our changing world.
I experienced a couple of glitches myself, but I’ve done many hundreds of smooth transactions and it’s still the preferred or only method for many sellers/ buyers.
On the selling end, instant transfer of funds worldwide would require the same percentages from credit card transactions with more hassle.

Interestingly, I’ve received two lesson orders via PayPal just while typing this with no action required from me other than shipping and acknowledgement. Pretty helpful!

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2018 2:39 am    

Roger, I'm not sure how it works as far as amounts go. I do know that I sold an old set of Harley tanks for $2000.00, and I had to wait about 2 weeks before they released it - after the guy got it and OK'd it I'm thinking. It wasn't a big problem for me at all, but I could see how it might be for some.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2018 2:41 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:
That's great Tony, I'm happy for you. Of course, it doesn't cost the merchants anything (sellers, big and small), so they love it. They can just jack up the prices to cover the additional PayPal cost, and after awhile...nobody's the wiser because it's soooo convenient, right? Everybody's doing it, right? The buyers are the ones paying, though, and that extra 3% on a $5,000 steel is, after all, another $150. That's about $148 more than we were paying before PayPal came along. And, that's as much, or more, as it costs to pack and ship the darn thing.

Some people don't care about a hundred and fifty bucks. But I do.

Have a great day!

I hear ya Donny and don't disagree. There are trade-offs which we have to consider. A $5000 Steel I wouldn't use PAYPAL either, that would be a personal transaction by mail or otherwise. I have never bought anything of that value with PAYPAL, or accepted payment for a sale of that value. I believe the most I have ever transacted with PAYPAL may be in the 12 to $1500 range. Plus that kind of money and transaction requires personal contact .

When selling lower dollar items the trade off can be how many people will actually be interested in BUYING if we don't use a service like PAYPAL. How long will it take to sell ?

welcome to the new world order !

All is good.

thx

t

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Wayne Ledbetter

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2018 7:41 am     Hmmm

My opinion is I will consider taking a chance with smaller items with out PayPal. It lets me kind of know if that person is trustworthy and I have done that. However, and regretfully, there are those that will take advantage of a buyer and not represent the item "as is" or not produce it like my daughter and her dog deal.
I can not see a reason why a seller wouldn't use PayPal. Let's say something does happen and it and takes a week to get your money. I've seen items sit here on SGF for weeks. So it's alright to sit here for weeks with no money but terrible that it you sold it and wait a few days to get money from PayPal. The 3 % fee is a no brainer. It's small compared to 5k.
IMHO...I see no "real negatives" for sellers. It opens up the market to a number of people that have the same thinking I do. If a seller doesn't want to use PayPal then he's probably concerned that the buyer will find out he's misrepresented the item. The seller typically won't send item until he gets money and check clears. So buyers at bay with " am I going to get it".

Regretfully, I have seen here on SGF some situations that didn't go well. I don't want that kind of thing happening to me.

I really don't understand why " in this world we can't perform transactions like steels, amps, etc without problems. Don't know about you guys but I'm not interested in losing 4 or 5 k on a deal. I may not be able to do business with some of you but guess that's the world nowdays. Caveat Emptor comes to mind.
Sho Bud Super Pro, Fender Twin Reissue, Martin HD-28, Gibson J-45, Gibson RB-250,Stelling Bellflower,Regal Dobro, Takamine and Alvarez Classical, Fender Telecaster, Peavey Studio Pro 112. Mainly played Gospel and some bluegrass.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2018 2:43 pm    

Quote:
So, if vendors won't take an alternative type of payment, I just take my business elsewhere.

Donny (and Tony) - Apparently you don't understand how Paypal works. Buyers are NEVER charged a fee. No matter what you purchase Paypal doesn't cost you a dime except the purchase price.

Now, a seller may want to charge you all or part of the fee. I won't do business with those sellers. They understand Paypal charges fees only to the seller and if they don't like it they can use another payment system - not try to circumvent Paypal's fee system AND use it for their convenience.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2018 12:57 am    

Jim Sliff wrote:
Quote:
So, if vendors won't take an alternative type of payment, I just take my business elsewhere.

Donny (and Tony) - Apparently you don't understand how Paypal works. Buyers are NEVER charged a fee. No matter what you purchase Paypal doesn't cost you a dime except the purchase price.

Jim, thx, yes I know ! I was referring only to selling , I think Donny was as well.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2018 7:39 am    

Jim Sliff wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, sure...I hear 'ya. "Buyers are never charged a fee". At your local car dealer, it's "No interest for 5 years!" In "The Wizard Of Oz", it was "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!" And so on, and so on. But in the real world, most of us know exactly what's going on. We know the merchant just passes on the cost of doing business to the buyer. Doesn't matter whether it's credit-card service fees, PayPal fees, "No interest" come-ons, or shoplifting that bites into his bottom line. The consumer, in the end, is the one who's forking over the money. Consumers pay for everything.

Business is business - there's no altruism in the business world.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2018 7:43 am    

Absolutely correct. Even here on the Forum a seller will calculate what he's going to have to lay out - be it PayPal or commission to b0b - and adjust his asking price accordingly.

James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2018 7:51 am    

If you would like to read up on why Paypal is not favored by sellers just google "buyer claims I sent an empty box". It’s a very common paypal scam that's been going on for a very long time. Or you can go to paypal-community.com and just look at the number of empty box claims and how the seller lost money and you will understand why so many sellers don't want to use that method of payment when dealing with people they do not know or have references on. The weight of the shipped box almost always comes into play, but on smaller items like a Rolex watch, it never makes much difference. I am member of the Rolex Watch forum and have seen this scam several times. Claiming the box was empty and claiming "item was not as described" are very common ways to scam money through paypal. On the empty box claim, the seller is typically out the money and the item as well since the claim is that there is nothing to ship back. The only one I have ever seen the seller prevail in, is where the seller actually packed the box at the UPS store desk on video and the watch could clearly be seen going into the box. That said, the Rolex Watch forum has a "who's who" section where buyers and sellers alike are rated on transaction reliability. It’s not a guarantee, but it helps to know who you are dealing with. Many of the posts in the classifieds there state "paypal accepted for buyers with good references. In a nut shell, paypal overwhelmingly decides in favor of buyers over sellers in transaction disputes.

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2018 10:45 am    

What Jim just said...Plus they have 180 days to do it in. Had a bad experience on the "bay" related to this.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2018 11:15 am    

You can Google anything, even really good products and services like "Fender guitar sucks" and get thousands of negative reviews and experiences.

PayPal is overwhelmingly well accepted and successful for both the buyer and seller. You can have just as bad an experience with personal checks, money orders, any model of car but that does not give you a perspective on the relative number of good to bad experiences.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2018 1:12 pm    

Cash, checks, and credit cards have been around forever, figuratively. Now, just because of the "internet", we're supposed to scrap those and use something else, something that's far more costly. I don't see why I (or anyone else) has to justify our preferences. What really amazes me, though, is how gullible people are; and that they would just assume that everyone else shouldn't care about the fees. Oh Well