The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  SX 8 string lap steel from Rondo
Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2018 2:35 am    

Joe Elk wrote:
Thanks !!! Godfrey. I had not clue it was not a steel. I have a 8 and a 10 P/U and I needed some ides! I liked Vorson. Thanks!!!!!! Maybe I will have to think building a new steel.
Joe Elk Central Ohio

Joe, go to Pinterest, open a free account so you don't get the prompt to join blocking all the photos and just type in lap steel and there is a wealth of ideas from which to glean.

Bill, what is the square plate at the back of the green guitar by the head stock?

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2018 2:59 am    

It's a plate for the 3 screws to tighten up on to spread the load. Like a plate on a Tele or Strat at the neck to body attachment. I have 3 threaded inserts in the peghead and used machine screws not wood screws.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2018 3:16 am    

Bill Groner wrote:
It's a plate for the 3 screws to tighten up on to spread the load. Like a plate on a Tele or Strat at the neck to body attachment. I have 3 threaded inserts in the peghead and used machine screws not wood screws.

That's interesting. Idea

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2018 4:18 am     Peghead

The Peghead has a 3" long tang. I milled a pocket in the neck to accept the tang. It's a tight fit and has to be tapped on to get it in. I'm in the process of building another one at the moment with the same sort of arrangement. This one however has a tapered neck and there was no room for a plate. The "tang" on the new one will be glued in place. Since I had no choice on the turquoise one that was too short for a lap steel I have become fond of making the peghead separate from the body. I can do all the work with a 9" long piece of wood rather than struggling with 30 some inches of wood. The turquoise one has great sustain so I'm sure having a separate Peghead had little affect on the performance.

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2018 7:08 am    

OK...I'll "bite"...what is a Tang?

I understand the plate concept, but am not familiar with the "Tang" term.

Thank you for you info!

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2018 7:58 am    

A "tang" is a protrusion to fit in a mating pocket. Think of it as the prongs on an electrical plug going in a socket......outlet is the neck, prongs are the tang.

In the case of the new one I'm working on the "tang" is 2" X 3" x 1/2". It will have ample gluing area. The turquoise one is basically the same thing, but since the neck is straight, no taper, I had enough room to plate it. The turquoise one the head is removable.

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2018 8:00 am     Re: Peghead

Bill Groner wrote:
The Peghead has a 3" long tang. I milled a pocket in the neck to accept the tang. .

Tom Campbell wrote:
OK...I'll "bite"...what is a Tang?

I understand the plate concept, but am not familiar with the "Tang" term.

Thank you for you info!

The "tang" in this case is a projection of wood that fits in the milled pocket. I think it's a type of mortice and tenon joint.

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2018 8:47 am    

I will take some pictures today and show you where I start usually on a new build. Most times I lay out the body, peghead and neck, but I always make the peghead first. The new one has a pretty thin maple fretboard, with rosewood frets which will fit in a channel down the center and be glued in as well. (another mortise and tenon) as Dave put it.

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2018 12:06 pm    

Bill Groner wrote:
I will take some pictures today and show you where I start usually on a new build. Most times I lay out the body, peghead and neck, but I always make the peghead first. The new one has a pretty thin maple fretboard, with rosewood frets which will fit in a channel down the center and be glued in as well. (another mortise and tenon) as Dave put it.

Did I mention "really nice workmanship"?

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2018 12:17 pm     peghead pics and mock up

This typically how I start a build. I try to mock everything up first. Design, Color, Pup location, Control knobs, etc. The 1/4" thick body board is just a practice piece so I get the knack of blending/shading the sunburst. I don't need to be learning on the real McCoy.
At this point anything is easy to change. I have a picture of the fretboard with the "tang" which will be glued into a slot running down the center. I also have a picture of the "tang" on the peghead. Right now it's just a tang which will go into a pocket in the neck. Once the fretboard gets glued to the face of the guitar it will be as Dave posted earlier, a mortise and tenon. Like I previously said, it's a lot easier to work with a peghead not attached to the guitar.

Don Barnhill

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2020 8:22 pm    

That is very cool. Thanks for the photos! Would love to build a Lapsteel. I have the wood and tools on hand already. I think it would be a great project under the current conditions. Good luck all.

Carl McLaughlin

St.Stephen,New Brunswick,Can
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2020 2:02 pm     SX bridge mods

What did you end up for length? 223/4? ,what about intonation?.I have a couple of SX 6 strings that i want to modify.Please send a private message if possible.Thanks.

Carl
Now have a SX 6 string lap in G,.A Tele plus telecaster, Larrivee acoustic.Also have a Fender resonator guitar with new Quarterman cone and spider,and an Allan tailpiece.Playing through a Fender Super Champ XD,using a little delay on the amp and a Harmonix Holy Grail Echo pedal,set on Hall turned to about 1pm.Just got a Fender Dual 6 Stringmaster style. Bought a Yamaha FGX5 Recently and love it.