The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bruce Brooks
Roger Miller

Cedar Falls, Ia.
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2005 7:34 pm    

I stopped by Bruce Brook's house the other day. He has had some set-backs in life and now lives with his parents. The question has been, "Can he still play?" Well after not picking for several years, he still had something left in the fingers. I must say the tears of joy were there. His mother said to leave the guitar set up and maybe he will practice now.With hope he will continue to work at his talent that he was so good at. Just thought I would post this just for the friends who may know him but lost contact.

Chuck Cusimano

Weatherford, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2005 6:45 pm    

What? Roger, can he actually play? That's just about the best news I've heard in a long time. I guess You know the story about Bruce coming to Lubbock Texas, and working in my band along with Billy Martin. He was so gifted, and went on to become a Steel Monster. He worked for Ronnie Milsap for 18 years or so. I have talked to him a time or two, and he asked the same questions all the time. But, when he told me had been playing, and I spoke to his parents, they said he has lost track of time, and dosen't mean to be untruthful, but he hasn't played in years. I'm so tickled to know he's playing some now. Keep me posted, and thanks for the up-lifting news.

Bob Hempker

Goodlettsville, TN.
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2005 8:20 pm    

Roger,

Thanks for the update on Bruce. I've wondered a lot about him, and how he was getting along. A fine player, and a fine person.

------------------

Roger Miller

Cedar Falls, Ia.
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2005 2:28 pm    

Hey Chuck, remember the M.M. days. I replaced you after you replaced me. That was when Bruce had the red Bud. Yep, you email me and I'll get you his address. I sent his mom several pics of us because their house burned down. Remember he hasn't played in several years but still had a knack of what to do and so on. Very pleased and tickled actually that he hasn't forgot that part of life. I love him as a brother and I was so scared to test him, but he came through. He can play.

Chuck Cusimano

Weatherford, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2005 9:19 am    

Hi Roger, Sure I remember you. You are a fine guitar player. I have talked to Bruce on and off for the last 20 years or so, and He always remembers me. His folks said he wasn't able to, or didn't want to play since the opperation, but I am very happy to hear that he still can. I told Bill Martin about your post, and he was very happy also. Bill is playing guitar for Charley Pride, and they are out for about three weeks, but it wouldn't surprise me to hear that he calls Bruce, and His Mom, and Dad. Bill was in the Band when I first hired Bruce in Lubbock. Lloyd Maines was subbing, because I was needing a Steel player, and Lynn Daniel brought Bruce (Just a kid)into the club to meet me. Bruce had had a car wreck (someone hit him from behind) and ruined his M S A since it was in the trunk. Lloyd and Bruce crossed some pedal rods, and when he sat down to play Lloyds guitar, I hired him on the spot. He stayed the entire summer with us, and I told him he had a job as long as he wanted it. He wanted to go home in September and graduate from High School with the kids he started school with, and I respected that. I needed another steel player and I called Billy Poe in Nashville, to get a lead on some names, and I told him about how awesome Bruce was, and Billy asked for his phone number, and the next thing I heard was when Bruce called me from Nashville and was excited . He was working for Little Jimmy Dickins. The rest is history. Thanks for keeping us informed, and please continue to do so. Thanks, Chuck

Roger Miller

Cedar Falls, Ia.
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2005 7:00 pm    

Yep, I was also with Tater when he was. I have some stories about that gig. I kept track of B. as much as I could when he went to Texas, and Vegas. When he got the gig with Milsap, that was great for the longest time. I guess because of the tumor, It must have been the reason for the turn of events. He worked around home for a while after he moved home. But things just took off and then the surgery cleared his memory. He can remember little tidbits now and then. I sure think alot of him, like you, been through a war with him and he's the one who got hurt. Keep in touch Chuck, I need another leather pickguard someday.

Redd V

Galax Va
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2005 7:42 am    

I was fortunate enough to get to know, and play with Bruce in 1991&2 in a Nashville band " Clinton Gregory & The Swingin' Johnsons"
He was by far, the best picker in our band and a great guy to travel 300 days a year with.
He started having memory problems in the last year with us, but he never missed a lick though.
I'm glad he's doin' OK
Redd Volkaert

[This message was edited by Redd V on 10 June 2005 at 08:43 AM.]

Joe Drivdahl

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 7:04 am    

I don’t know Bruce but I think I know the red bud. It wound up in Whitehall, Montana in the hands of Frank Hardcastle. Frank traded it to a guy in Whitehall and I bought it from him. It had a plaque on the front that said “Built especially for Bruce Brooks” or something close to that. I always wondered who Bruce was. Now 30 years later I know.

Joe