The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  NEW Paul Franklin Instructional Course Launching Soon!
John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2018 7:29 pm    

By popular demand, Paul Franklin has created a 1-year Course in the basics of playing the E9 pedal steel guitar, Foundations: E9 Pedal Steel Basics.

Taken from select lessons in the popular Paul Franklin Method, this knowledge you need to get playing the right way...right away!

Your $99 subscription gets you 24/7 12-months access to all of the videos, practice tracks and TABs.

This is the perfect Course for absolute beginners, guitarists looking to add pedal steel to their skill set, and anyone who wants to master the essential skills needed to truly learn the guitar and improve their musicianship.

At any time in that 12-month period you can apply the full price towards enrolling in The Paul Franklin Method.

More details will be coming soon!

Franklin

Post  Posted 26 Nov 2018 7:17 am    

Hi Everyone,

Launching the Paul Franklin Method over this past year has evolved into one of the most eye opening research and development insights into all things steel guitar....People wrote us expressing their frustrations for why isn't this? or why doesn't that? in questions hoping my course was their answer.....We discovered that there is a huge void out there for our newest members of pedal steel guitarists. I became concerned that we are eventually losing too many of them due to a lack of education suiting their musical desires. So here is where I need and solicit your help to spread the news about a course aimed at this specific group of players......So if you don't mind I would like to state my case for why we may be losing them and why I believe a streaming yearly course had to be aimed at a modern generation of 30 somethings who think steel is cool but have no interest in the 60's....I can relate because I was 17 in 1972, when I moved to Nashville, and if you mentioned music from the late 50's my eyes glazed over....I have grandkids so I see this firsthand.

Who I am talking about is a class of new player that has actually purchased, or is thinking of purchasing, a pedal steel guitar. Not all, but most are also a very accomplished musician on another instrument or instruments. This course is about filling their desires with the hope of moving them into the fold and onto their future as pedal steel musicians.

Much to my surprise some questions I received actually came from working musicians in major and famous Non-Country touring bands....The common thread was this statement....."I just want to be able to take this steel out of the case and onto the stage ASAP. I don't care about being a Country pro, that's too hard and its not my thing, I just want to play a couple of pedal steel songs with the rock/pop/top 40 band for the sound". Will I learn that with your PFM?....The answer was and is yes, and then some.

This new Foundations course is being released with the goal of teaching those potential steel guitarists.....Anyone who knows me, knows I am determined to see this instrument move forward into modern settings, and as I do my part to provide top notch shortcut methods to all players, I am also committed and want to preserve all of the great ideas (As in the Lloyd videos we presented) so I house the complete instruments history of how this instrument was and is to be played providing the shortest paths to get there...I want the legends knowledge preserved for all time...The PFM has all of this info archived and then some. But a new generation doesn't necessarily care about that upfront...They just want to play something on stage with their cool band that is no way Country. I understand that desire!

Being a realist..There really was no inexpensive course that I could find available to them considering their musical desires...The point is to get them started on the right path playing a very hip sounding instrument...The void was the need for an inexpensive way to get that specific young crowd started....

My dream is to see this instrument on stages for "ALL" genres..Imagine the impact of "ColdPlay, Beyonce, Derek Trucks, or any of the hip hop crowd with a steel guitar on their stage....

So the Foundations course is an inexpensive course (I believe its $99.00 for a year) with very focused videos showing every technical and musical skill needed to get them on stage, asap. It is an abbreviated version of the beginners
lessons content from the PFM which is where I wish everyone would start because that entire beginners section heads players from the start towards the creative and individual mindsets needed to play anything on the instrument....The Foundations course gets them on stage fast with the hope they really fall in love with playing the instrument and will go on to either a skype teacher or join the PFM or hopefully both....We can't change their minds about the deeper ways this guitar can be played, we can only gently guide them to where we hope they will go by exciting them with what they can do in the shortest amount of time.

The 30 somethings unlike me are among the very skilled technical generation, they desire a modern delivery system for steel instruction that travels with them 24/7 on their Kindle, Smart Phone, lap top etc, Because those social media tools are used for every facet of their young lives I believe so should their steel instruction exist there for their easy access...This Foundations goes wherever their busy life takes them...On the tour bus, in their recording studios, so now they will have instruction wherever their idle times happen for study.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2018 12:30 pm    

Paul, this is a great option - looking forward to it.