The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nashville
Cameron Fulp

Lindale Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2018 10:49 am    

I’m going to be in Nashville on December 13 and 14th, and was wondering if any of you knew where we could find some live music. Really would like to hear some great steel guitar while in the country music capitol !

Justin Emmert

Greensboro, NC
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2018 6:52 am    

Always at the Nashville Palace, but the music there is a little too classic for me. I was lucky to catch two steelers in a row at the Sho-bud bar on Broadway last time I was there....Tom somebody with a band doing some classics and wmestern swing and a young red headed guy I did not get to meet with another band. Both were good players.

Nicholas Scott

Norfolk, VA USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2018 1:57 pm    

Roberts Western World, Laylas, Aj's on Broadway but your best bet would be Nashville Palace or Music City Bar and Grill. Mike Sweeney, Rusty Danmyer, and Tom Killen(Who I think Justin is talking about) are all nice guys and real great players that you can find playing pretty frequently. There are steel players, you just have to search them out. The closer you get to the weekend, the harder it is to find steel on Broadway in my experience. You could also stop by Steel Guitars of Nashville, they could point you in the right direction.

Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2018 2:38 pm    

Despite a long stream of complaints otherwise, there's actually usually a ton of steel to hear in Nashville. Nicholas mentioned many the best bets. Just remember that you're more likely to hear steel players earlier in the day downtown (Robert's, AJs, Layla's, etc.) and later in the day out by Opryland (Nashville Palace, Scoreboard, Music City, etc.)

Yesterday, I played 2:00 - 6:00 at at Rippy's and I got to hear Danny Mohammed before I played and Mike Sweeney after. That was without even having to cross the street or leave the same block. The night before, I played at the Scoreboard and got to hear Steve Hinson play the show before. Tonight I'll play at the Springwater and after my show I'll get to hear Pete Finney play right next door at The Local with Chris Scruggs.

Again, I know many of us would love to hear more steel in Nashville than we get to but, really, there's a lot to hear.

BTW, it may not be your taste, but in case it is, on the evening of 13th I'll be playing non-pedal steel for a Cowboy Christmas show with The Farmer and Adele at The Old School Farm, just a little northwest of town. It's 5-6 miles from Opryland.

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2018 9:09 pm    

Justin Emmert wrote:
Always at the Nashville Palace, but the music there is a little too classic for me. I was lucky to catch two steelers in a row at the Sho-bud bar on Broadway last time I was there....Tom somebody with a band doing some classics and wmestern swing and a young red headed guy I did not get to meet with another band. Both were good players.

Tom Killen-he used to play steel with George Jones.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger