The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Player on Pure Love Session
Ian Wilson

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2005 8:11 pm    

New to the forum and looking forward to learning and sharing. I know that Dickie Overby played a lot of live dates with Ronnie Milsap, and I am wondering if anyone can confirm if it was Dickie who played on the session where *Pure Love* was recorded, or if not Dickie, does anyone know who it was?

Thanks,
Ian

Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2005 8:21 pm    

I always thought it was Bruce Boughton, not sure tho.

------------------
Howard, 'Les Paul Recording, Zum SD12U, Carter D10 8/8, Vegas 400, Boss ME-5, Boss DM-3, DD-3, Fender Steel King, Understanding wife. http://www.Charmedmusic.com

Roger Francis

kokomo,Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2005 8:34 pm    

If memory serves me rite, i think Ronnies band did the recordings with him back then and Dikie was his steel player at the time. I can remember reading the album jacket and his name was listed in the credits as the steel player.
Ronnie did a live album that i think was called "Country Cookin" wich featured Dickie on steel, Bip Adams on drums and i can't remember the rest of the band members names, but it was a great album.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2005 9:34 pm    

Ladies and Gentlemen; may I present Lloyd Green>

quote:
Ronnie Milsap

Blind pianist/vocalist initially started his career as session musician in Memphis (he played keyboards on Elvis' "Kentucky Rain" and sand harmony on "Don't Cry Daddy"). He moved to Nashville in the early 70's and signed for RCA Victor. Stardom cam fast and he had three #1 hits in a row in 1974/1975 with "Pure Love", "Please Don't Tell me How The Story Ends" and the Don Gibson-cover "I'd Be A Legend In My Time", all with Lloyd Green on steel guitar. Throughout the 1980's he continued having huge success, scoring several more #1 hits like "Daydreams About Night Things", "What Goes On (When The Sun Goes Down)", "(I'm A) Stand By My Woman Man", "Smokey Mountain Rain" and "Still Losing You", all of them featuring Lloyd's perfectly tasty steel playing.

------------------
Ricky Davis
www.mightyfinemusic.com
Email Ricky: sshawaiian@austin.rr.com

Roger Francis

kokomo,Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2005 7:06 am    

Good job Ricky, i saw Ronnie live back in the late 70s and Dickie did a great job doing Loyds liks, sounded just like the record, but he is a great player anyway. Back in 60s&70s a few of the artist used their road band for recordings too, but just going from memory ony, one tends to forget a few things.
Is there a place on the internet you can research info like this? I have a lot of interest in it.

Alan Rudd

Ardmore, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2005 7:09 am    

Any TABs on the Milsap stuff? I didn't see any on the rebel site.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2005 8:39 am    

Roger; as for researching Lloyd Green, there is a ton of information about any and all recording history in the "Recordings" section here> http://www.lloydgreentribute.com/
As for researching anything else....well I wouldn't know...ha...as that's about the extent of all the research I need to know....>
"you like lloyd green"??
Ricky

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2005 9:23 am    

Roger,

Ricky said it - for information regarding Lloyd's recording career, the chart hits he played on, his instrumental recordings etc. please feel free to check out www.lloydgreentribute.com - I have even removed the typing errors from the Ronnie Milsap bio sketch!

You may also want to visit my other website www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf - the "Info/News" section has an extensive library of songs, artits and the steel players on that particular recording. Just click on the letter that particular song starts with - hopefully you'll find the info. I am constantly extending that list.

Kind Regards, Walter

www.lloydgreentribute.com
www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf

Duane Marrs

Madison, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2005 4:55 am    

Ian, This is one of my all time favorite Milsap songs. The steel playing is SUPERB. I especially liked the way Lloyd doubled the solo section he did. Mike Johnson told me he thought Lloyd was the best at stacking he had ever seen or heard, when he got to visit a Mel Street session, Lloyd led on.
I believe the Milsap album was called 20/20. Many of the orchestration lines were taken from the ones Lloyd played, since strings were added later. The early works of Milsap are a must for any real country lover. I recommend the "40 number ones" cd set on Virgin records, if you can find it. This compilation kept the Virgin/
Nashville label afloat before they folded.
Sincerely, Jeff Surratt

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2005 8:14 am    

PURE LOVE RCA Victor APL1-0500 1974

My Love Is Deep My Love Is Wide, Amazing Love, Pure Love, Four Walls, Streets Of Gold, Love The Second Time Around, Please Don't Tell Me How The Story Ends, All My Roads, Behind Closed Doors, Blue Ridge Mountains Turnin' Green

This was actually Ronnie's second album, "Pure Love" and "Please Don't Tell Me..." went to #1 in the charts.

Kind Regards, Walter

www.lloydgreentribute.com
www.austriansteelgitar.at.tf

Jeff Evans

Cowtown and The Bill Cox Outfit
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2018 4:33 am    

Anybody listenin'?

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2018 5:57 am    

Check out Milsap's first live album (maybe late-'70s? He's done two or three) - Dickie Overbey's playing is remarkable throughout. He is speed-picking throughout the live version of 'Pure Love' and, while it could be described as 'over-playing', it's a delight!

Then listen to the 'outro' he plays on 'Country Cooking' - I still can't get that lick, not with the attack and clarity Dickie achieves.

I hadn't know it was Lloyd on the records. The early Milsap country albums are quite superb. I've been a fan of Ronnie's ever since I first heard him (almost by accident!) when he came to London in 1974 and supported Glen Campbell at the London Palladium. Dickie was there but, at that point, I hadn't yet bought my first steel guitar and didn't fully appreciate what I was hearing. I soon found out that I'd been listening to a real master player.

Floyd Lowery

Deland, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2018 6:03 am    

I had Millsap's album with Pure Love, Country Cooking, and just a lot of his hits. It was on an 8 track and I played it and a Tony Booth album, also on an 8 track to death. Since he introduced Dicky Overby on the Country Cooking song, I thought all these years that he was the one playing on all the songs. Shows how wrong a person can be when they assume things. Rolling Eyes
I do think that album won album of the year in 1969.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2018 6:08 am    

Jeff Evans wrote:
Anybody listenin'?

Guess I fail to see the point of digging up a 13-year old thread to post that.