The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ry Cooder/Gabby Pahinui "Yellow Roses" intro help, please?
Kevin Swan

Medina, Ohio
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2018 7:12 am    

I just bought my very first tab/notation, of the Ry Cooder and Gabby Pahinui recording of "Yellow Roses" from Mike Neer's steel instruction site. (Thanks, Mike!)

Mike's done his transcription in C13 tuning, while the original was in B13. Now, I get that. Sort of. (I'm not that educated on music theory.) I play a universal 14 tuning and have been grinding this song out for years by ear and still have trouble with the intro.

On the ORIGINAL Chicken Skin Music recording, I believe the song is in B? But here's three chords played as an intro as I have it:

F# C D# G#
F B D# G#
D G# B E

Am I missing something? It sounds pretty close, but then I'll sit and play it and it falls apart! I sure would appreciate some help with this. I literally wake up at night with this in my head!

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2018 3:11 pm    

Yes, song is in B. I think the last chord in the intro is an F#7 with the b7 tone in the bass:

E A# C# F#

So on those first three chords in the intro, the bass note drops a half-step each chord.

Kevin Swan

Medina, Ohio
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2018 4:16 pm     That's IT!

Many thanks for that help Tucker. I was getting pretty close. I think the top note is probably an E rather than F# on the last of the three "walk-down" chords on the intro? I can't make that F# sound right.

Sure glad I have pedals and knees. I would love to be able to pull that off with bar slants. Maybe in the NEXT lifetime, huh? Are YOU playing it lap style, of pedal/knee steel?

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2018 7:35 pm    

Hi, Kevin. I play PSG... but I've never played this song. I was just helping you out.