The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sierra Steel Guitars
Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2018 7:46 am    

Howdy Pete,

There's no show plans at this point. But that doesn't mean no....I definitely put the word out here on the forum if I decide to do so.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2018 8:17 am    

Ross Shafer wrote:
"and the hits just keep on coming!"

Just posted another "Makin' Chips" video. In this one you'll see the changer pivot block being made.

Check it out here: https://youtu.be/Og7TQMUK1EY

Thanks for using my song "Bobbin' Along" in your video, Ross. Mr. Green

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2018 11:51 am    

Thank you for the great tune b0b!

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2018 7:23 pm    

I met Ed last month at The Walnut Valley Festival in Winfield Kansas. We were both performing with our bands, and I got a chance to check out the new guitar. It is absolutely gorgeous! Too many neat features to mention (most have been covered here), but their attention to detail would be very hard to match. They have spent a great amount of time and dollars in research and development, and it won't disappoint!

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2018 6:46 am    

Thanks for your kind comments Kenny. Ed is pretty much in love with his new Sierras.

I owe Ed a ton of gratitude for choosing me to bring Sierra steels back and for the opportunity to design a dream pedal steel guitar. I'm very pleased you liked what you saw and heard. Thanks again....big time!

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2018 4:06 pm     Nice tune

b0b wrote:
Ross Shafer wrote:
"and the hits just keep on coming!"

Just posted another "Makin' Chips" video. In this one you'll see the changer pivot block being made.

Check it out here: https://youtu.be/Og7TQMUK1EY

Thanks for using my song "Bobbin' Along" in your video, Ross. Mr. Green

Nice tune, At first I thought it was from an older Western Swing band so I guess you hit the spot! Good going Bob.
Oh yes, and the video was also good, but I feel so backwards when I see that machine threading holes! All I can think of is my sore wrists doing it by hand!
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2018 8:10 am    

Happy Thanksgiving from Sierra Steel Guitars! We're very thankful for the warm welcome these new guitars have received, big thanks to all!

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2018 12:27 pm    

I did things a little different when changing strings today. Removed all strings, buffed the changer fingers, then installed all 10 strings without tuning them. After they were all on, I tuned them lowest to highest, twice (because tension changed during the first pass). Everything went so smoothly. I love this instrument. Mr. Green

Before tuning:

After tuning:

This is my D6th copedent, by the way - the second string (F#) is the highest pitch.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2018 1:29 pm    

Very cool. I had 3 Sierra keyless guitars and a double neck keyed that I think I sold to b0b?

My very first new pedal steel was a keyless Sierra and my very last pedal steel guitar will be a Sierra. The clock is ticking and the tension is building😎

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2018 5:18 pm    

Len Amaral wrote:
Very cool. I had 3 Sierra keyless guitars and a double neck keyed that I think I sold to b0b?

My very first new pedal steel was a keyless Sierra and my very last pedal steel guitar will be a Sierra. The clock is ticking and the tension is building😎

You sold a 1978 Sierra Olympic S-12 to me back in the 90's (keyed, but not a double neck). I made an album with it and also used it for several experimental copedents over a period of 20 years. Last January I sold it to a forum member in Arizona at the SWSGA show. He's currently gigging with it.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2018 5:45 pm    

I had so many steel guitars over the years I lost track where they went to. I forgot about the keyed Sierra S-12. I had another keyed Sierra S-12 with a pad I sold to a friend. That one has a Danny Shields pickup.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2018 6:34 pm     Pickup

Mine has a Telonics pickup. Same basic concept as the classic Danny Shields. You can adjust the volume of each string independently.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2018 10:23 pm    

My Sierra will have a Telonics pickup with double rows of allen set screws. The eagle lands next week👍

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2018 10:09 am    

Home from a quickie Boston trip and I want to publicly thanks my gracious hosts and friends (forum member) Dan Kelly and his wife Marian, I don't think greater hospitality is possible than what these two fine folks provided. Marian makes some wickedly good ice cream too!

While out there I delivered a new Sierra U12 to great player and all around good guy Len Amaral...jeez loueezze this guy has a bad case of Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS)....and I thought I had it bad! I feel honored that Len chose to add a new Sierra to his musical wonder world. I took a few pics before delivering the guitar, not only did they turn out bad, but my phone refuses to let them off of it for some reason. Hopefully Len can post a few pics of his new beauty.

While out there I had the good fortune to spend some time backstage with Robert Randolph. Robert spent a little while playing Len's new rig and gave it high marks. RR can move a slide around like no one I've ever seen. As you already know, he can really rock out on a steel which makes him a fantastic (and important!) ambassador for the instrument. So glad he's out there showing the world that pedal steel ain't just for country. Kudos to all the steel players out there who are broadening the instrument's use.

A very large Sierra thanks to Marian, Dan, Len and Robert for making my first visit to Boston in 20+ years such a great trip.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2018 12:44 pm    

It was a pleasure meeting Ross, Dan Kelly and his wife. My new Sierra has found its new home in my studio and the fit, finish and tone are beyond my expectations. It was cool that Robert Randolph gave it a test drive and I will have that picture framed.

I will post pics shortly of this fine instrument. My first "New" pedal steel was a Sierra so I figured my last "New" pedal steel should be a Sierra. Smile

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2018 12:49 pm    

Happy to see the new Shafer Sierra's getting some love!

I just installed a Telonics x10 pickup in mine....sounds great out of the box at home. I will be fine tuning it over the next few weeks and give it the real test on the bandstand.

Welcome to the club Len! I got to see your guitar up close! A thing of beauty it is!!

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2018 8:53 am    

Free Sierra Hat for the first person to post who this dapper dude is. Lee & Daniel I'm counting on you letting someone else win the hat.

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2018 9:33 am    

I also know who but I already have a hat! Wink

Nice Fender 800 in the background!

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 2 Dec 2018 9:46 am    

The moustache would suggest maybe Jeff Baxter?? Confused

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2018 1:18 pm    

Here are some pics of my new Sierra U-12. The attention to detail and overall playability of this guitar is impressive. Happy camper!

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2018 2:08 pm    

I recognize that famous north coast string bender, but like Dave I already have a Sierra hat.

That's a beautiful wide-body guitar, Len. Welcome to the club!

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2018 3:28 pm    

Barry Blackwood wrote:
The moustache would suggest maybe Jeff Baxter?? Confused

You know your mustaches Barry! Not the right guy though.

Glad you like your new Sierra Len!

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 2 Dec 2018 3:39 pm    

Gene Parsons! Smile

Beautiful Sierra's BTW.

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2018 5:51 pm    

We've got a winner. Russ, email or PM me with your address and I'll wing a hat your way. Thanks for the compliment.

Gene Parsons, inventor and maker of the original B-Bender found on Clarence White's iconic guitar. He continues to build beautiful B-Bender guitars including an acoustic rig that's beyond bitchin'! http://www.stringbender.com

Patrick Thornhill

Austin Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2018 9:50 pm    

Damnit! I’d have had that hat if I’d checked this thread earlier! I was just watching a thing on youtube about the invention of the b-bender the other day....
I’m gonna pretend that’s Sneaky Pete’s Fender 400 in the background....
Laughing