The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Info on Buddy Emmons in Detroit
Michael Harrington

Ann Arbor
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2018 11:16 pm    

I've read that Buddy Emmons worked in Detroit in the 50's during his career. What was he up to out there? Does anyone have stories, photos, or recordings of his work during that time in his life? Being less than an hour from Detroit, I find it fascinating. I haven't found much info other than him having met Jimmy Dickens and getting asked to do that gig in 1955.

Any info would be great!
Thanks,

-Michael Harrington

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2018 4:53 am    

Buddy worked in Detroit for Casey Clark, who was a DJ on radio station WEXL. Casey did a barn dance on radio station WJR from a local hall, and it featured Nashville acts, which is how Buddy got the job with Jimmy Dickens. Walter Haynes (Jimmy's steeler, and one of Buddy's early idols) wanted to get off the road, so Jimmy hired Buddy to replace Walter, and took him back to Nashville with him. Buddy's first night playing the Opry was July 4th, 1955.

(Info from an article by Tom Bradshaw)

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2018 6:49 am    

Mike, you may be aware of this, but here is a page with some info about Buddy in Detroit. The carcitycountry.com web page is pretty interesting.
http://carcitycountry.com/2013/salute-buddy-emmons-nashville/

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2018 7:29 am    

He did a few recordings before joining Dickens, but it's unclear how many...with artists like Chuck Carroll, Casey Clark, and Jimmy Work.

As far as I know, the details were never documented in Buddy's own words. Very unfortunate.

I haven't yet found anything he might have done with Joe Taylor.

He was with Bob Reed's band in Indiana in 1952. Reed did record, but I can't find anything with Buddy.

Not sure if it's Buddy or Chuck Hatfield on The Davis Sisters "You're Gone". This was done with the Casey Clark band and is known to exist on an acetate.

You'd think he would have done a lot of recording between 1955 and 1960 with lesser known artists after he arrived in Nashville, but I haven't uncovered as many as I'd hoped. I suspect his busy touring schedule kept him out of studios quite a bit until you get into the 1960s.

Aren't there tales of Buddy playing in Calumet City, Illinois?

Tom Bradshaw

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2018 8:43 am     Buddy's background

After I reissued Buddy's Steel Guitar Jazz album (back in the '70s), I had periodic contact with Buddy, asking him various questions. For one of my questions he said that "to save time," he was enclosing a few pages that answered my question. He said it was from a book he was writing. The pages looked exactly like they had been copied from that book, being type-set and having numbers at the bottom. I remember that those pages had numbers in the 60's. I should have followed up on that revelation and made inquires of him as to what he was up to regarding his book. I'd sure like to know what happened to what he ended up writing. Maybe someone who knows his family could determine what happened to that book and other memorabilia of his

Also, back in those years, I wrote him a letter that was jokingly sarcastic. Several people who visited Buddy said that he had framed that letter and had it on his wall. He would direct friends to read it since he enjoyed what I had written. I'd sure like to have a copy of it. Again, perhaps his family has preserved that framed letter. ...Tom

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2018 9:10 am    

The book Detroit Country Music by Craig Maki is a wonderful tribute to the country music scene in the Motor City with lots of stories about Buddy (at that time "Buddie") during the time he spent working for Casey Clark. Available from Amazon and highly recommended.

Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2018 9:40 am    

Steve Fishell might have some info regarding that earlier attempt at a book. I believe Steve actually got pretty far along later in co-writing an autobiography with Buddy, that Buddy ultimately decided not to do. It would be interesting hearing from Steve as to how far he got and whether any of that can legally ever be used or chronicled.

Also of course Ernie Renn is the musical keeper of Buddy's legacy. http://www.buddyemmons.com/ And, he has some of Buddy's early recordings on the site.

Joe

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2018 4:28 pm    

I met Casey Clark back in the early 90's at a steel guitar jam in Woodville, Ohio. He was playing fiddle in the house band. Heck of a nice guy. Got to talk with him for a bit. He was good for some good stories. Casey was telling me that he locked Buddy and his steel guitar in his den for three days and would not let him out until learned to play some more. Must have been pretty young at the time.

Fish

Post  Posted 23 Nov 2018 12:19 am    

Hello Mr. Bradshaw and everyone,

Forgive me; I am away on vacation with my family for the Thanksgiving holidays. I will post a more extensive reply next week.

Briefly: Buddy and I worked together on his autobiography - based on about 70 pages of his incomplete memoirs - from March until December 2010 (Tom, you are right on the money regarding the number of pages!).

After eight months, with Buddy losing sleep over the memories that our work generated, he asked me to stop at the end of 2010. Please read this note from Buddy posted on the SGF: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=197856&highlight=buddy+steve+fishell

After that post, Buddy made a pact with me that he would bequeath his memoirs to me - to be used as the basis for a book - IF I would halt all work until after he was gone. I honored that promise and so did he.

I have been working steadily on the book ever since. I will post more about the work-in-progress next week.

thank you,

Steve Fishell

Eric Philippsen

Central Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2018 4:40 am    

Wow, a book about Buddy? Put me down for a copy as soon as it’s done!

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2018 6:16 am     buddy emmons

Eric Philippsen wrote:
Wow, a book about Buddy? Put me down for a copy as soon as it’s done!

me to put me down to can't wait Very Happy

p.w

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2018 8:11 am    

Thanks, Steve. That news has brightened up my weekend and I bet I'm not the only one!

Michael Harrington

Ann Arbor
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2018 12:22 pm    

Wow, thanks for all the replies guys.. this Forum is such an incredible source of information for both the older and younger generation of steel players (such as myself) and I'm always learning something!

I'm going to purchase that book on Detroit Country music (thanks Jack), and hope to uncover even more information on Buddie as well as others during that time. Thanks again to Donny, Bill, Mitch, Tom, Jack, Steve, and everyone else for taking the time to read my post and reply.

I'll also take a copy, Steve!!

Best-

Michael Harrington

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2018 11:25 am    

Hey, Fish, that’s wonderful news about the book. For me, like many, hearing Buddy was what propelled me to starting on steel, and he remained a steadfast influence. I know you will curate his memories into an accurate and fascinating tome!

I notice in the early photos in this thread that Buddy (Buddie!) isn’t smiling- most of us were always taken with the effervescence he shared with his happy, laughing performance demeanor. I’ve often wondered if that was something he developed and projected purposefully, those photos make me wonder. What a monster!

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2018 1:54 pm    

Fish,
Put me down for a book!!

Thanks,

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2018 5:00 am    

Here's a couple of tunes he played on while in Detroit. Note that he is playing a non pedal guitar with a special tuning to get the pedal sounds on the Jimmy Work tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsj2UVMVvO8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJrq78e49QA

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 1:09 pm    

Making Believe was maybe the song that I read somewhere that Buddy said he swapped the then 2nd and 3rd strings to get the pedal sound before he got a pedal guitar. I knew a guy in this area that did the same thing.

Kenny Foy

Lynnville, KY, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 3:17 pm    

I was fortunate to work with Mr. Jimmy Work a few years. And he told me several stories of time in Detroit with Casey Clark and the Lazy Ranch Boys w/ Buddy. Mr Chuck Carroll was also a member of this band and he came and played music with our band a couple times in his later years and ,man, let me tell you he was still awesome.He could fill a room UP with music from that ole Gibson he had. He told story one time of going get that guitar @ factory and walkin thru with it. And Mr. Carroll relayed a couple of stories to me on some of there adventures. Buddy is gone, Mr. Carroll is gone and Jimmy still lives down the road from me. His mind is still sharper than a tack.

Kenny Foy

Lynnville, KY, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 3:22 pm    

And please put me down for a book also.

Kenny Foy

Lynnville, KY, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 3:55 pm    

Needin a little help. Are the black Buddy shirts still available on the BuddyEmmons.com web site?

Fish

Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 8:05 pm    

Hey Kenny,

You're absolutely right about Jimmy Work; he's still "sharper than a tack."

Jimmy remembered his session with 17 year-old Buddy Emmons like it was yesterday. Here's part of what he told me:

"Buddy's guitar wasn’t fixed up for that [Webb Pierce “Slowly” pedal sound], but he could make it sound that way," recalled Jimmy Work. "Buddy said, ‘I can do it. I don’t have that pedal, but I can still do it.’ It was the fastest recording session I ever had. "Making Believe" was the first take.” [7/25/18, 11:45 AM Jimmy Work Telephone Interview]

Kenny Foy

Lynnville, KY, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2018 6:39 pm    

Mr. Fish, Best I remember, Jimmy, Chuck or both told me Casey Clarks was Buddy's 1st Job.