The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sierra Hull???
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2018 6:40 am    

I thought this was remarkable and the name was new to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE3SVDPx4F8&feature=youtu.be

Not steel guitar as such but close enough? Who is the resonator player?

Tom Spaulding

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2018 7:05 am    

That's her husband, Justin Moses. http://www.justinmoses.com/

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2018 11:21 am    

Very nice indeed, what brand is the Dobro capo ? Thanks !

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2018 12:15 pm    

John Sluszny wrote:

It appears to be the no longer made Scheerhorn/Flux capo.

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2018 12:26 pm    

Sierra was awarded IBMA "Mandolin Player of The Year" 2016-2017-2018.

Justin is the current IBMA "Dobro Player of The Year".

The bluegrass music is in very good hands these days.

hp

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L

Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 20 Nov 2018 12:39 pm    

Sierra is incredible - she is the reigning International Bluegrass Music Association (IBMA) Mandolin Player of the Year, three years running. The awards were announced at the end of September.

Her husband Justin picked up his first Dobro Player of the Year award that same evening.

Rob Ickes left Blue Highway a few years ago (he has 15 of these dobro trophies) to pursue his duo career with young Trey Hensley on guitar - amazing - if you haven't seen them yet check their calendar for an appearance in your area. I have managed to see them four times, but then Rob grew up here in the Bay Area just south of San Francisco so he still gets out here from Nashville quite a bit to visit family and friends.

After Rob left Blue Highway a talented young man named Gaven Largent took over on dobro, but for whatever reason it didn't "take" and he left after about a year.

Justin Moses was offered the job. He can play about anything with strings, and play it well. He wasn't out there playing a huge amount of dobro in recent years, but lo and behold, he joins Blue Highway and with less than a year in the band he is voted best dobro player for 2018.

Thanks for finding this Roger - some really tasty playing in that trio. And a high quality video as well.

Justin is playing a mid 1990's Scheerhorn. I recall it was built a couple years prior to Tim's new, larger design known as the L-Body. These earlier guitars are referred to as R or Standard body to differentiate them from the L-Body. On the used market the L-Body commands a higher price, but some of Tim's Standard body guitars are fantastic, and I have seen Justin play this guitar in person a few times. He apparently has never really felt the need to move on to something else. The guitar sounds great in his hands in it's a beauty as well.

Last edited by Mark Eaton on 20 Nov 2018 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 20 Nov 2018 12:42 pm    

No, there's not "an echo in this room." Almost uncanny, Howard and I were typing our posts about the same time. This happens quite a bit... Cool

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2018 2:16 pm    

Thanks for the info, Mark and Howard. The level of sheer accomplishment here is amazing. I find myself more and more drawn to bluegrass as it seems to have survived the onslaught of commercial success.

For goodness sake, these virtuosi look like children to me! I'm delighted that the best exponents of the genre seem intent on preserving the art form, yet improving upon it as they develop.

Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 20 Nov 2018 3:54 pm    

Roger, have you discovered Molly Tuttle yet?

IBMA Guitar Player of the Year, 2017 and 2018. First woman ever nominated and to win in that category. Along with that Molly picked up the Americana Music Association Instrumentalist of the Year award for 2018.

Like Rob Ickes, Molly also hails from the Bay Area, and now lives in Nashville. She graduated from Berklee College of Music in Boston (as did Sierra Hull).

Molly's dad Jack is a long time teacher of stringed instruments and usually operates out of the legendary Gryphon Stringed Instruments store in Palo Alto. I have some of his guitar tab and mandolin tab books.

She is all of 25, I first saw her play when she was 12. And already damn good at that age!

Cool video below, Molly on the Townes Van Zandt classic White Freightliner Blues. They mounted a cell phone video camera on her guitar for a split screen closeup. Check out her right hand!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awFeDMNiKX4

Last edited by Mark Eaton on 20 Nov 2018 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2018 3:54 pm    

Roger, it's refreshing to witness this in person. I have attended many bluegrass shows over the years and seek out the bands with Dobro. Rhonda Vincent has a terrific Dobro player in her group too. Just wonderful to watch these kids display an incredible talent on their instruments. As you said, non commercial and honest music. Just beautiful and heart warming.

Randy Beavers

Lebanon,TN 37090
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2018 4:13 pm    

Sierra Hull’s 2011 CD “Daybreak” has been one of my most played CDs since its debut. No steel guitar but her vocals and mandolin playing are captivating! Her 2016 release of “Weighted Mind” is more jazz oriented and is also on my frequent rotation. I heard her live in Nashville a couple of years ago and Justin is the real deal on banjo and Dobro. If you like the more traditional bluegrass and country that Daybreak” CD will win you over as well.

gary pierce

Rossville TN
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2018 4:59 pm    

The first time I saw Sierra was at a Sam Bush meet and greet, and her parents introduced their 8 year mandolin playing daughter to Sam. They played a few tunes together, and you knew she was going to be a star.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2018 9:12 pm    

Thanks for everyone's input. I have a lot to catch up with, it seems. It was actually a friend in England who sent me that link a few days ago asking: "Are they any good, do you think?"(!!!) Before that the name meant nothing to me.

I feel as though I've had one of those lovely moments when another door has opened and now a wealth of new music is waiting for me.

Mark - I'll check out Molly Tuttle. Randy - I must get hold of Sierra's catalogue!

This quest is never over, is it?

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2018 5:10 am    

Fantastic!

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2018 12:00 pm    

Mark Eaton wrote:
John Sluszny wrote:

It appears to be the no longer made Scheerhorn/Flux capo.

Too bad ! Thanks anyway !

Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 21 Nov 2018 1:14 pm    

Not to get off on a capo tangent, but you can't really go wrong with any of the following three: Charlie's Slide Pro Capo, Bradley, and Beard Wave. On a scale of 1 to 10 among serious dobro players the Scheerhorn/Flux would be ranked behind the three above in terms of limiting what I refer to as "tone death."

One thing I've noticed over the years about the great players when using a capo on the dobro - you don't actually really notice it unless you are seriously concentrating on hearing it. It's almost a "sleight of hand" thing. The Scheerhorn/Flux was certainly a decent enough capo, but the top players make adjustments so that the open strings that are capo'd don't really stand out as sounding very different than the barred notes.

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2018 4:44 pm    

Mark,I have a Charlie’s Slide Pro Capo and it’s fantastic soundwise.
The only thing I don’t like about it is that it’s not very easy to align it with the fret underneath.