The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Would like to try a FET amp for Steel
Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2018 4:52 pm    

Back in the late 70’s/early 80’s I had an orange striped Randall model RG-300 amp with a single 15” speaker that I really liked. I thought it sounded very close to my Fender tube amp. I think I was told it had FET technology in it.

Does anyone offer a 1x12 FET combo for Steel ? I’m prone to think that something similar to a NV112 would be sufficient.

I’ve read some about the Evans offerings but I’m still lacking in any real knowledge about what’s available.

Thank you,

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2018 6:33 am    

Old Evans FET amps are out there for sale but they’re all 15”, I think. They sound great, but every old Evans I’ve had sounded great. I have an Evans 80 single 12, over 20 yrs old. I think its 100 watts,not 80. Not FET but I love it.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2018 7:21 am    

Randall made an 80 watt amp with a single 12" speaker...not sure if it was FET or not. You can find them cheap!

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/msg/d/randall-combo-amp/6752215550.html

I also love the FET technology. I believe that's what my ShoBud Christmas Tree amp has and why it sounds so good.

Last edited by Dave Zirbel on 20 Nov 2018 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2018 7:27 am    

Quote:
Randall made an 80 watt amp with a single 12" speaker.

Looks like they are making them again.
https://www.instrumentalley.com/Randall-RG-Series-RG80-80-Watt-Solid-State-Amp-p/rg80.htm

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2018 9:00 am    

Thanks guys.

Dave, at the time I purchased my RG-300 Randall made a Commander ll amp that was lesser wattage and had (2) 12”’s. Our fiddler had one and it sounded great.

I saw where they made a 1x12 80 watt? Combo but it appeared to be for guitar. I wonder if it could be “voiced” for Steel. ??

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2018 4:25 am    

Not sure but think Webb amps were FET........surely very tube sounding and feeling......Not sure if they made a 12” amp....Jim

Bob Lawrence

Beaver Bank, Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2018 3:21 pm    

Check out the Evans Amp's,

https://www.evansamps.com/je300-touring-amp

https://www.evansamps.com/
Franklin D10, Telonics (E9)True Tone(C6) pickups, Fender Steel King , Evans (FET 500LV), Nashville 400, Quilter MicroBlock 45 amp's, Telonics FP100 volume pedal, PodXT(effects only), Boss RV3(delay & reverb),Steel Guitar Black Box,Bill Lawrence cables, Walker Seat,Peterson Flip Tuner, IVL Steel Rider, IK Multimedia IRig Pro DUO for recording.