The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Update Dv Mark 50 - Season 2
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2018 1:46 am    

In the interest of a new thread, ( the other is getting pretty long ) I have modified a small 1x12 cab and mounted the 50 Watt head in the cab , just like DV offers. Heck, I have the tools and needed something to do and both the head and the cab were just sitting there....

I am going back to this small 50 watt DV amp/cab for my bi-monthly gig as I feel it really gives me the best fit for this particular gig. Easy , fast setup , small footprint and reasonable tones. Very portable. This gig I am probably 75% on Steel so I can manage the Guitar tones. Actually, on this gig, it's my choice for any song, Guitar or Steel. If I'm in a Push Pull state of mind, it could be 100% on Steel. Laughing

Keep in mind that all of my gigs are double duty, Steel and Guitar, maybe 50 %. For the larger rooms or stages it's one of the other tube amps, be it, 40, 50 or 60 watts. I'm still more anal about guitar tones than I am for the Steel. I take medicine for this.

I do like what Jim Cohen did in upgrading to the 250 watt version. While the 50 is excellent for the small room, or maybe a tad more than a small room, the 250 offers extended performance. I also own a GK MB200 which now becomes the gig bag backup amp, again.

The surgery for the cabinet took about two hours, the amp fits with literally no room to spare with regard to the speaker. This cab is only 10" deep, the DV factory combo is 12" deep which gives it a tad more room .

The cab is a stock closed back Fender 1x12 Super Champ SC-112 , under $150 used. Its all particle board so be aware. But the size is excellent , 17 x 17 x 10. Speaker load and unload from the front. It's not closed back anymore and required some planning ahead of time, along with a pencil , a ruler and a square !

I already had this cab just sitting around otherwise I may have just built one from scratch.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2018 3:48 am    

Last nights show reminded me just how nice this small 50 watter is, plenty of power that shows up well past 50% of the volume knob along with excellent EQ controls More lo end than we could ever need along with mids that are easily tamed. The tone of the Steel is as good as any other amp, to me, that I have ever used. Others may not agree but thats why we all have opinions. The speaker in the cab is a Fender Gold Label Eminence which is in each of my amps.

Regarding the Telecasters, I generally rotate between two, they both sound different with each amp anyway. One sounds just fine with the DV the other almost just fine. Very workable.

There really is no reason for me to not use this amp for every bi-monthly show at this location. Moderate volume,very clean along with extra punch if required. I'm parking the tube amps for this gig, they stay home. Smile

I have some clips from last night , I'll try to get them up later today.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2018 10:23 am    

Good move Tony. Looks like a nifty rig. I like it. Love to hear clips with the steel and Telecaster.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2018 8:28 pm    

Great job on the amp cabinet Tony. I really like my DV 50. Lots of punch and eq. I'm going to try the DV 112 cabinet with this { under 20 lbs cab weight. } If it sound as good as it does patched to my BW I'll be a happy camper.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2018 1:57 am    

update again:

I am in the process of building an 18 x 18 x 12 cab and installing an Eminence Legend 1518- 15' , (8 ohm) 150 watt speaker and mounting the DV 50 watter in the new cab just as pictured above.

I think the 15 will give me a bit more overall "balanced tone" . At least I think ! None the less, it will still be a very portable unit for my Bi Monthly gigs, small footprint.

8 ohms is important as it allows for the 8 ohm extension speaker to maintain the 4 ohm total load per specs. The Legend is a guitar speaker which is what I prefer. 60 hz to around 4K.

Hope to be completed in a week or so, .we'll see. I work on it in between naps.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2018 5:51 am    

Now we're talking. I really like this approach. Hope the results are what you want. Keep up the good work Tony.

George Macdonald

Vancouver Island BC Canada
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2018 2:54 pm     DV Mark 50 ll head

For steel guitar only, how does the tone compare to the MB200? I have an MB200 and a cab with an Eminence EPS-15, but I actually prefer the tone of my Nash. 112, just not the weight.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2018 2:38 am    

George, my opinion is there is no comparison. I own an MB200, remember this is a Bass amp and EQ'd for a Bass guitar. The DV is a guitar amp. While the MB200 in my eyes is workable for the Steel, it is NOT for the 6 string. The DV is a totally different beast. Plenty of Hi end, mid control and lo end, plus digital reverb.

I too like my N112 but I do not like it for the 6 string.I'm not a fan of SS amps for the 6 sting but the DV is pretty darn good, real close for my anal mind !

IF we look back at a Fender Bassman head, we have the Bass channel which is blah for guitar but then the normal channel which is excellent for guitar. I compare the MB200 to the Bass channel on the Bassman. It's a great amp but maybe not great for everyone.

Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2018 1:28 pm    

Tony, I'm getting ready to build one from scratch with an 8" for my Micro 50 Jazz (single channel). Just wondering how you hold the amp head in the cabinet - brackets, friction,....? It'll basically be a Little Jazz when I'm done.
Thanks!!

George Macdonald

Post  Posted 25 Nov 2018 2:36 pm     DV Mark 50 ll

Just ordered one from MF. Open box, "mint" condition for $219.00. I'm having them send it to a friend in Calif. and he will mail it to me after Christmas. [If he doesn't keep it, ha.]

George Macdonald

Post  Posted 25 Nov 2018 2:37 pm     DV Mark 50 ll

Just ordered one from MF. Open box, "mint" condition for $219.00. I'm having them send it to a friend in Calif. and he will mail it to me after Christmas. [If he doesn't keep it, ha.]

Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2018 3:05 pm     Re: DV Mark 50 ll

George Macdonald wrote:

That's how I got mine - same price. You'll enjoy it.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2018 2:18 am    

My 15" project is going to take a rest, I am not liking the 15" Eminence 1518. It's ok at moderate to low levels but if you push it you can tell. It's a $100 , 150 watt rated speaker new, the expectations were probably too high !

The cab is complete except for the tolex. I'll finish the cab and seek another speaker. Of course I just sold a BW 1502 ! Sad

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2018 5:53 am    

Tony, sad that didn't work out. It's hard to get that righteous tone on both counts. I tried my BW E115 cabinet with the quilter micropro mach 2 combo and didn't care for it. Too bright. The TC Furlong 12 eminence in a Peavey special 130 sounds very good for both guitar and steel to my ears. It's still a bit heavy for it's size.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2018 3:02 am    

Larry Dering wrote:
Tony, sad that didn't work out. It's hard to get that righteous tone on both counts. I tried my BW E115 cabinet with the quilter micropro mach 2 combo and didn't care for it. Too bright. The TC Furlong 12 eminence in a Peavey special 130 sounds very good for both guitar and steel to my ears. It's still a bit heavy for it's size.

Ahh it's just part of life ! I had a great time building the cab though ! I got to use an extensive amount of tools and apply some new tricks along the way ! I may just go ahead and finish it even with the Emmi 15. I'll drag it out to a real gig and see what shakes out. I have around $80 in the speaker and I'm not going to just "give it away" ! It's not the worst thing that could have happened ! Laughing

George Macdonald

Post  Posted 22 Jan 2019 2:00 pm     DV Mark 50 ll

Just got my Mark 50 ll today and I'm loving it already. Plenty of power comparing it to my GK MB200 and seams to have a warmer tone. The built in reverb is not bad but not as good as my Wet reverb pedal. The aux. input for tracks is a nice feature although I use a little Mackie mixer at home. I'm going into a Huff cab with an EPS-15 speaker. I'll be using it only for pedal steel, and maybe lap steel, but it's a great little amp.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2019 2:53 pm    

If anyone's looking for a Mark 50, I have one in the For Sale section for just $200. https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2771692#2771692

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2019 2:38 am    

someone should purchase Jims DV Mark 50 at his price, this is a bargain and even if it's just for back-up or home practice with the cans ,it's well worth it.