The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender Super Champ speaker Cab
Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2018 10:04 am    

1x12 Celestion speaker. Any tried this cabinet and speaker?

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2018 1:00 pm    

Greg, I would like the answer to that too. I did connect my super champ xd to a old crate 1x12 amp, hooking to the speaker only. It's a Celestion and it was a big and full sound. I am planning on building a cabinet with a single 12 Celestion to use. I liked it that much.

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2018 1:12 pm    

I, too, have a Super Champ XD, but mine's pc board preamp blew up, so I rewired it to be a power amp. I use a Zoom MS50G pedal for a preamp. Works great, but I'm looking to set it up with a 12" speaker I got from TC Furlong.

There are empty cabs available on ebay that take the XD chassis and a 12...but they're a little expensive for me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Super-Champ-XD/262718802330?epid=70299495&hash=item3d2b42c99a:g:pXwAAMXQmWdRHAWX:rk:4:pf:0

I'd love to hear about any inexpensive solution that's available.

Sent an email to Rick Johnson about his cabs, but haven't heard back yet.

I'll post back here if I find something.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2018 1:49 pm    

Mike, I just got a speaker from TC and put it in a Peavey special 130. Sound great. I'm planning to build a 1x12 cabinet and try a few speakers. I will post when I get it going.

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2018 3:07 pm    

Hey Larry, how was the weight of the 130 with that new speaker? I've got a 130, too, so I'm interested.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2018 6:38 pm    

Mike, I wish I used a scale so I will weigh it tomorrow. All I can say is it feels much lighter and to me manageable. Tone was excellent, including a try with a telecaster. Very impressed.

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2018 7:54 pm    

Well, I might just have to put the TC speaker in my 130 to try it out. Didn't plan on doing that, but you got my curiosity up. Laughing Cool

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2018 6:00 pm    

Mike, I think you will be happy with it. Let me know your results.

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2018 4:27 pm    

I just got a small ported cab I ordered...15x15x12 and immediately installed my TC speaker. WOW does this pair sound GOOD!!! And only 16 pounds!!

Pedal steel, Gretsch guitar (Chet stuff), and Strat grind, all sound terrific. Now I'm tempted to get another one...even though I don't really need it.

I'll turn the Super Champ into a head unit and have a great little practice setup. Laughing

This speaker is a real winner!

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2018 8:08 pm    

Mike, I gotta get my cabinet made and try this out. Did you use it with the special 130 yet? I want an extension cabinet for my quilter micropro mach2. Glad you like the speaker. Worked well in my special 130 on a gig yesterday. Telecaster only for this gig.

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2018 8:30 pm    

Larry, nah, I got lazy what with the holiday and all. Laughing But I'm seriously thinking about getting another for the 130. It's got a NV112 Blue Marvel in it presently, and sounds pretty good...I just have to be careful not to push it too hard.

Dang this little cab with TC's speaker sounds so good! I get lost in the sound of my Gretsch through it. And the steel is heavenly with plenty of bite if I need it.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2018 7:36 am    

I have one, it's ok, but not very well made. The speaker baffle is pressed comp board, not even MDF, two of the speaker mount lugs came out and can't be reinstalled. Additionally the baffle cracked in two places where it needed to be epoxied. The baffle board is glued in, getting it out means war.

That being said, I repaired it and made it an open back cab. I paid too much, like $130. I should have built one, which I am now doing with a 15.

The Celestion is more of a mid range guitar speaker. It's China made.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2018 10:35 am    

Tony, this cab I bought is 1/2 inch plywood all around. There were no speaker mounting screws. I had to do my own. It's got a real nice spring loaded handle, 8 black metal amp corners, and black carpet covered. The price was $88 shipped.

Maybe it'll fall apart in a few weeks, but I doubt it.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2018 6:21 pm    

Mike, is the baffle 1/2 inch plywood too? Old school thinking on the baffle is 3/4. If it sounds good with 1/2 inch im surprised. I may have to rethink my build.

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2018 7:40 pm    

Yes, Larry, it's 1/2 inch, but when you consider the small size of the baffle, 15x15 inches, a 1/2 inch baffle has plenty of strength.

Now if it were a larger cab like, say, a twin or NV112, then your concern would be warranted. 1/2 inch would not be strong enough.

This cab would likely be too light for big stage gigs. I could just see it dancing all over the stage if I pumped 200 watts into it! Ha, ha! But it'll just be used for my own enjoyment, so no worries. Very Happy

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2018 1:44 am    

if we are talking SD 112 ( super champ) it is not plywood, it's pressed bd, and it's 17 x 17 x 10. Speaker mounts from the front, closed back. The SD-112 has 4 speaker mounts for the 12" speaker in the baffle. The SD 112 is covered in Tolex with no metal corners.

here it is modified to mount the DV Mark 50 watter. I am building another cab (in process) for a 15 to house the DV, it's near completion. It's 18 x 18 x 12 and will contain an Eminence 15. The cab was designed around the dimensions of the 15 along with the DV. Its right on the edge with dimensions ! It cost about $40 in materials and $1000 in tools ! Very Happy

I'll post photos when completed.

SD112 with the DV Mark. Makes for a nice portable Steel amp with plenty of guts ! It took a very sharp pencil and straight edge to make the cuts !

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2018 4:45 am    

You're right, Tony. My cab is not like yours. Mine is a simple little cab for a 12 that I bought online...that's all. It's not big enough to hold an amp of any size...well, maybe one that's really small. Ha, ha.

Good luck with that new cab. I agree about particle board, and the $40 in parts and $1000 in tools. Been there too! Laughing

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2018 6:43 am    

Thanks for your insight on the cabinet. I too want lightweight yet it needs to handle 100 watts for my other amps. I agree on the Super Champ xd. But my quilter micropro mach2 delivers the 100 watt to the extension cab when cranked. I can't see how they built a extension cab in the HD series under 30 lbs speaker and all, that can handle the power.

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2018 3:31 pm    

A larger cab can be made with 1/2 pine, or plywood if it's braced properly. The baffle board does need to be 3/4 ply (baltic birch ply is great) especially for high power applications.

If I were you, Larry, I'd contact Rick Johnson about a cab. He can at least give you some advice on costs and if he can make one for you at a cost you could afford. It won't hurt to ask. He's a good guy, and very knowledgeable. Cool

If you ask real nice, he might even give you some tips to make your own cab. Winking

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2018 6:46 pm    

Thanks Mike. Rick builds very nice cabinet indeed. I have experience building speaker cabinets in my past and the shop to do it in. I haven't done any in years and lightweight materials was not used before. I am intrigued at the task. I will be using pine and a 3/4 baffle as my first choice. We shall see how it works out.

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2018 7:55 pm    

Very cool, Larry. I'd love to see it when you're done. Good luck.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 2:01 am    

regarding power handling, these are not meant to be half stacks driven by a 100 WATT JCM 800. These are small compact lo to medium power handling cabs. Don't confuse speaker handling wattage with what the intent is. Kinda like a Blues Jr, 15 watts, the cabs are about the same size. The Super Champ is also considered a small compact lo to moderate duty amp, doesn't matter if it has a 100 watt rated speaker. Don't expect these these things to be Nashville 400's !

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 8:46 am    

Tony, I agree on all points. I have to use mine for multiple duty so the higher wattage is necessary to handle the more powerful amp. The Super Champ xd is a loud 15 watt and more evenly clear and smooth going into a 12 inch cabinet but it will get limited use. I have accumulated a ridiculous amount of amps, most too heavy for me anymore. I am pairing down to the smaller lightweight stuff so long as it can sound good and handle the venue. The quilter puts out 200 watts. Your mileage may vary.