The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Sho-Bud 1973 D10 Pro II Round Front SOLD off forum.
Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2018 10:39 am    

For Sale, 1973 Pro II Round-Front D-10 with 8x4: Yet another price drop to SOLD!! I can not take this with me when I move half-way around the world in the next month or two, so someone will get a beautiful steel at a great price!

Total Vintage Tone Monster and Eye Candy in the model Ricky Davis and others say is the ultimate Sho-Bud to own!

(more pictures below)

I bought this guitar in rather rough shape about 6 years ago and did about 90% of a restoration on it. This included refinishing the body as the original finish was crazed and flaking off in places. All of the visible metal was polished to a nice matte sheen - pretty nice for 45 year old cast alloy! But it is not like brand new – like any instrument of this age it has a few scratches and dings in the metal. I had planned on keeping this one and putting a bit of an unusual coped on it, but time and circumstances require me to sell it. So I finished it up with a fairly standard Emmons Coped. I will cry when I ship it, but as Frank Sinatra sings, "That's Life!"

This guitar has a "born on date" of June 1973. As you can see, it is a “round-front”. Pickups are new Jerry Wallace Truetones with coil taps wound to the specs Jerry and Ricky Davis recommend to get the classic Sho-Bud tone. At the moment one of the mini-toggles for the coil taps is not working – so you will see in the photos a bit of a wiring rat’s nest. Michael Yahl is shipping me a new switch along with some other stuff I need for the next project, so will have it in a few days. If the buyer is good at soldering, I’d suggest I just include it in the case and get it on it’s way. However, I can also solder up the wires if buyer prefers (I hate soldering!)

Fretboards are new "dustcatcher" fretboards. Personally I like the dimensional look of these, and also they are known for being dead-on with their fret positions, unlike some Sho-Bud fretboards. Some of the white on a couple of frets on the E9 neck has come off. I’d experiment with some white model paint of or something if it bothered me. I will include on additional dustcatcher fretboard.

The case is a bit rough, but servicable. I will strap it in all directions so it does not come apart in transit, and block the guitar in place.

Shipping is $200. Well, it will be a bit more than that, but I will absorb anything over that. Or, you can come pick it up in St John (accommodations not included). Because of the weight of these old Sho-Buds in the case I will ship the guitar body in it’s case, and anything else separately. Paypal preferred, but open to other possibilities. Buyer pays 3% Paypal fee.

I have this guitar set up and tuned up and it is sounding great! Has that total vintage tone and vibe! However, I am not a pro at setup, and add in the shipping shakes and shimmies, and I would suggest whoever buys this be comfortable with vintage Sho-Bud setup, or has a friend who can help, or at least like tinkering.

Also - I will tell you that all photos lie - This is a beautiful guitar - but it is not "museum perfect". No major blems to show, but you can see some spots on the metal, and my bad job with the waterslide logo in the close up of that corner. Also, the shine is worn off on the changer housings from the player's hand resting there. Maybe it would come back with a small polishing wheel on a dremel but even my less-than-10 year old guitars get that.

I will throw in a Vintage Sho-Bud volume pedal - rather crusty-looking, and needs trouble-shooting - if buyer wants.

Coped is:

The rat's nest of wires is temporary just until the new switch arrives:

Contact me for additional pics or any questions.
(edited to hide my onset of senility - Thanks, Ricky!

Last edited by Douglas Schuch on 14 Nov 2018 2:38 pm; edited 6 times in total

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2018 3:50 pm    

Yes indeed Douglas; this is my favorite all time Monster sounding Sho~bud....first series Pro~II.
Oh and that is actually "Jerry" Wallace that makes the TrueTone; and we came up with the perfect winding for the Sho~bud sound many years ago...and so it will be awesome.
Ricky

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2018 5:27 pm    

35 Years with Sho Buds and that makes my mouth water!!!! Sound don't come any better than that Bud... Smile Smile Smile Smile

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2018 5:30 pm    

Looking at the bottom side, is that wire nuts on the wiring for the PUP's?? If it is, I never seen that done before. That would be great if you could do that. My vision won't allow me to solder anymore.

Steven Black

Gahanna, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2018 5:58 pm     Steel guitar question

Kevin, I thought the round fronts were the sho-bud professional, I did not know it was a pro ll?

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2018 6:34 pm    

Kevin - I put some quick-connect connections on to make sure everything was working and I had it wired right before soldering - then the project got put on hold for 5 years. I finally got around to finishing it, and will solder the wires when I get the new switch in from Michael Yahl.

Steven - The Baldwin Crossovers were the first round-fronts, I think. Then the Professionals. Then the Pro II's (and about this time, the first LDG's). They have the alloy fingers with the pins vs. the pot metal fingers with slots and the two-up, one-down configuration, starting about 1975. That is also when they switched to plastic tuning nuts instead of barrels. Those where called the "Pro II Custom", and had a square front.

Steven Black

Gahanna, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2018 8:41 pm     Steel guitar reply

Douglas, yes you are correct, the round fronts came out first, I liked the round fronts better, those guitars had character.

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2018 9:29 pm     Nice

Nice restoration. Very Happy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2018 7:23 am    

Really nice!

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2018 1:41 pm    

Bump for the price drop!

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2018 5:27 am    

Second price drop! $2400 is a bargain for this beautiful vintage instrument. I read an old thread the other day where Chas Smith posted a picture if the changer from this model stating that in his opinion, it was the best changer ever made by Sho-Bud.

As well, I just stumbled across this old thread on what people consider the best Sho-Bud ever - and there are more votes for the Pro II/LDG with this style mechanics ("bird cage" changer, barrels behind 2-hole pullers) than ALL OTHER Sho-Buds combined.

If you love the vintage tone and look, but want a guitar that stays in tune and is easy to work on, then THIS is YOUR guitar!

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2018 3:07 am    

I just lowered the price again - I can't take it with me, so now at the amazing price of just $sold off forum!