The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mullen RP pull rods
Dave Hepworth

West Yorkshire, UK
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2018 4:24 am    

Hi folks,
I have just noticed my A pedal on my Mullen RP has room for furthur adjustment.
I like a long easy travel...... the lighter the better.
I still have one upper hole left on my 5 th string pull ,does anyone have their pull this near to the axle,if I alter the pedal stop will the guitar still pull to C# or not ?
Also why is the pull rod angled slightly downwards just before it connects to the bell rank ?
Thanks for looking Dave

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2018 4:07 pm    

You'll just have try the move to a different hole. You may put the pull out of time with the other pulls on that pedal. Sometimes rods are bent to avoid other rods or obstacles or to make all the nylon nuts line and pull straight on the finger.

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2018 4:07 pm    

You'll just have try the move to a different hole. You may put the pull out of time with the other pulls on that pedal. Sometimes rods are bent to avoid other rods or obstacles or to make all the nylon nuts line and pull straight on the finger.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2018 8:49 pm     Mullen RP pull rods

Check the 10th string and see which hole the rod is installed in the bell crank. On most copendents, The B note on both strings should start together, pull together and stop at C# together. If you move the pull rod on the A pedal pull, You may have to move the rod on the 10th string so they will pull together. With the 10 string being larger it will raise faster and may be in the 1st hole on its bell crank. I suggest you get under the guitar and check to see if you would have a hole you can change the 10th string to match the change on the 5th string. Before moving the rod on the 5th string.
Good Luck in this project, Happy Steelin.

Dave Hepworth

West Yorkshire, UK
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2018 3:49 pm    

Hi Danny & Bobby,
Spent a couple of hours this morning altering the pulls on my pedals .Managed to get the action and feel just as I want .I dropped the rods into lower bell crank holes on all pedals to suit.Some were at the bottom hole and some next one up.The feel is simply superb and I seem to be more in control of the pedals.The guitar has a totally different vibe to it now and I am sure it resonates differently in a good way. Could this be due to the reduced angle of pull relative to the body ? Anyway I am glad I took the plunge and highly satisfied with the result.
Regards Dave