The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Win 10
Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2018 8:49 am    

My Win 7 crashed and its now history. I bought a Win 10 and it is taking some time to get used to. I used Mozilla Firefox on the 7 and have it downloaded on the 10. When I clic on the firefox icon I get the message about making it my default browser. I always clic on yes but it pops up everytime I hit the icon. On my 7 it was always my browser and when I went to my email it was the browser. When I go to my to my email there is no indication that I can see that Firefox is the browser. Do I need to do anything to be assured that it is or is clicking on default setting enough. When I open the contents it asked if I want to make it the administrator. If I did will that make it the default browser or is it already the default?

Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2018 9:02 am    

Well I guess if I mess with it long enough I can figure it out. I was just able to hit the right buttons and make FireFox my default browser.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2018 9:49 am    

Windows 10 changed the way default applications are assigned. In previous versions of Windows you would simply click yes when a browser, or other program that opens file types (e.g., Winzip, 7zip, Photoshop, etc).

The new way to assign defaults applications is to open Settings (gear icon that opens when you left click on the start orb). From the Settings main view, click on Apps. Under Apps, on the left, click on Default apps. Scroll down to Web browser and click to change it to the browser you want to make default for .htm, .html and other website file types. Windows may protest and try to change your mind about not using Edge. Tell it to obey your decision and not ask again.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2018 10:24 am    

Thanks Wiz. I was following those steps but when I scrolled down the page I would see Edge listed as the browser I had done this numerous times. After I made the post I tried it again but this time I clicked on Edge and a window popped up that gave me options and Firefox was one of them. I clicked that and then hit the button to make it permanent.