The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Close It Up .....
Larry Shemwell Jr

Central City, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2018 5:59 am    

Close it up , not enough interest......
Thanks just the same ....

Last edited by Larry Shemwell Jr on 7 Nov 2018 10:44 am; edited 5 times in total

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2018 8:02 am    

Intersting piece.

Last edited by Bobby Boggs on 9 Nov 2018 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2018 9:10 am    

I'm thinking the same thing,Bobby! Maybe Bobbe Seymour Magic? Still a nice guitar, probably # 582L with p/p keyheads.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2018 9:21 am    

Has Bobbe been up to tricks again? Whoa!

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2018 10:09 am    

Was thinking what John Swain wrote. Looks like a 5xx serial number to me. Not saying there's anything wrong with the guitar. Only that it's been modified. And in my opinion should be represented as such.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2018 10:18 am    

I don't think I've ever seen butterfly tuners on a LeGrande II. Whoa!
Erv

Larry Shemwell Jr

Post  Posted 2 Nov 2018 10:22 am    

Listen guys , if I knew the answer to all your confusion I’d tell ya . I can tell ya this , I haven’t done a thing to it myself except do some cleaning and restring both necks ! I wouldn’t misrepresent anything because I’m a firm believer in honesty and to what goes around comes around . If there’s been something done it was before it becoming my ownership . So there ya go with all I know and again , sorry it’s something that may cause such confusion ... it’s a great guitar !!!

Larry Shemwell Jr

Post  Posted 5 Nov 2018 4:09 am     Price Reduced

TTT

Larry Shemwell Jr

Post  Posted 5 Nov 2018 4:29 pm    

PRICE DROP TO $3200
May consider a Trade

Duane Reese

Post  Posted 9 Nov 2018 9:20 am    

I don't know what Larry was trying to sell, but this thread is a perfect example of why sales threads shouldn't be open dialogs. Uninterested parties come by and sideswipe your advertisement with their comments, followed by others who want to pile on, and next thing you know, you're pulling your ad because they just killed the value of what you were trying to sell. Mad

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2018 10:12 am    

Has the truth now become a bad thing? It was only pointed out that the instrument had been modified and was not the series the decal indicated. The seller claimed to know none of the above. Not saying he did. But this is a forum. Not Craigslist. It shouldn't be just about helping folks dispose on instruments. But a safe haven for potential buyers. Your mileage may vary.

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2018 10:14 am    

Has the truth now become a bad thing? It was only pointed out that the instrument had been modified and was not the series the decal indicated. The seller claimed to know none of the above. Not saying he did. But this is a forum. Not Craigslist. It shouldn't be just about helping folks dispose on instruments. But a safe haven for potential buyers. Your mileage may vary.

Larry Shemwell Jr

Post  Posted 9 Nov 2018 10:52 am     ?

To whom it may concern ....
I’m not upset and I still have the very fine instrument that I’d like sell or trade . I’m not real sure what all involved was and are implying about it exactly but I do know that what few comments that was made did have an effect on the instrument being sold . Sure I know in time it will find a home to where the owner will have no regrets . I’m just not one of those guys that has to have something to say about what someone else is trying to sell both good or bad ...... I for sure don’t like being falsely accused of something I definitely didn’t do or unknowingly has been done to something I’m trying to sell “if” someone was insinuating ..... so just to clear what maybe a misconception here , no one has knowingly misrepresented anything and yes you’ll most likely see the instrument up for sale again ... heck I didn’t know the decal or keys weren’t era correct , I was just saying what the old man that says he bought it new told me ! And yes , I know of a few of the tricks Mr Seymour has pulled , he actually got me once but I still did business with him like it never happened for several years afterwards ..... so regardless what the mystery might be here , I still have an Emmons D10 with a set of keys and a decal that’s not period correct for sale !!!! Happy Steeliing guys !

Larry Shemwell Jr

Post  Posted 9 Nov 2018 11:21 am    

And yes Duane you are right on point sir ......

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2018 2:32 pm    

thread was closed in one week. I think folks expect their guitars to sell right away, when it's actually a very small market and selling a pedal steel can take time.

have a little patience and the right buyer will likely come along. it also doesn't hurt to list it elsewhere simultaneously, like Reverb or Craigslist. good luck Larry

Larry Shemwell Jr

Post  Posted 9 Nov 2018 2:55 pm    

Thanks Scott

Duane Reese

Post  Posted 9 Nov 2018 9:47 pm    

Bobby Boggs wrote:
But this is a forum. Not Craigslist. It shouldn't be just about helping folks dispose on instruments. But a safe haven for potential buyers. Your mileage may vary.

I realize that it's a forum, but I think that in this section of it – for classified ads – people ought to have the courtesy not to turn an ad into a discussion about the flaws or quirks of what's being sold. I think the responsibility is on the seller to advertise truthfully, and it's on the buyer to assess the offer and decide – chatter from passers by seems inappropriate.

I've voiced my opinion about this in Forum Feedback, and I can't remember what b0b said – whether it was possible or not to turn off non-originator replies. I wish it were.

Quote:
Has Bobbe been up to tricks again? Whoa!

^See what is THAT??! Geeze...that is just poor. Alien

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2018 8:15 am    

Price, flaws and quirks are one thing. But selling something to be something that's it's not is another. The seller believed he was selling a LeGrande II. It was clearly not a Legrande II. I could go on. But what I have to say is better suited for Feedback. The old guys that know guitars can take care of themselves. So I guess you less experienced guys will have to lookout for yourselves. I don't agree with it. But that seems to be the mentality here. I have no vested interest either way. So good luck to both buyers and sellers.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2018 8:37 am    

Duane,
Before you start throwing stones, I have a question.
Did you ever deal with Bobbe?
Erv

Duane Reese

Post  Posted 10 Nov 2018 9:34 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
Duane,
Before you start throwing stones, I have a question.
Did you ever deal with Bobbe?
Erv

I never bought a guitar from Bobbe, but I'm familiar with his "engineering", if that's what you're getting at. A friend of mine use to own the legendary "Mr. Sho-Bud" frankenstein fingertip/push-pull – I got to play it and see all of the rigging Bobbe had to do to make it work.

This isn't about Bobbe Seymour's honesty, creativity or whatever. This is a thread where a different guy is trying to sell a guitar. What if a guitar has a part here or there that isn't original? Is it everyone's job to point that out and imply that it amounts to trickery, even when it wasn't the seller who did the mods? I didn't see the original post...did Larry say anything in his ad that wasn't true? I know he put up a picture, because that's what started all of this hubbub, and a picture shows exactly what you're getting. Isn't it on prospective buyers to decide if the picture and information given indicates a good deal or not, without other people weighing in? How would you like it if someone came in to one of your ads and started nitpicking and speculating about what someone else did to the guitar you were selling?

Erv, Bobbe Seymour is deceased. You aren't going to settle any score with him for anything he did now. All you're doing when you make comments like that is you're kneecapping someone who is selling something that, for better or for worse, is what it is. You ought to let people make up their own minds about the originality of the parts, and whether or not that matters.

Bobby Boggs wrote:
Price, flaws and quirks are one thing. But selling something to be something that's it's not is another. The seller believed he was selling a LeGrande II. It was clearly not a Legrande II. I could go on. But what I have to say is better suited for Feedback. The old guys that know guitars can take care of themselves. So I guess you less experienced guys will have to lookout for yourselves. I don't agree with it. But that seems to be the mentality here. I have no vested interest either way. So good luck to both buyers and sellers.

I can't see the original post, as I said. Did the guitar in the picture say "LeGrande II" on the front, or did it say something else?

Look, if someone is clearly lying in an ad, then contact a moderator, so they can have a look, or PM the seller if it looks like he's mistaken. Isn't that better than make public speculation in the ad? If he showed a picture, that's pretty much representing exactly what he's got. If it has parts that are not original, and that bothers you, don't buy it. It just seems really inappropriate to go advising everyone else who looks at the ad. I've owned plenty of guitars and other stuff that had weird issues and rig-jobs that I didn't recognize as such when I bought them, but the sellers didn't hide them. Some of them I wouldn't have bought had I known at the time, but I had nobody to blame but myself for that, except for when details were deliberately hidden from me. My ignorance was is not anyone else's responsibility.

Like I asked Erv, did Larry put any deliberately misleading statements in his original ad? Was any part of the guitar a Legrande II and could have made him think it was indeed a Legrande II?

Maybe this is better for Forum Feedback, yes. So, I'll bump up my thread there about this...

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=306319

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2018 1:39 pm    

The decal read Emmons Legrande II. But it was not a factory decal like I've ever seen. Plus other factors that point to it not being an L II.
Not asking anyone to take my word for anything. Place pictures of the guitar in the pedal steel section. Ask Billy Knowels, Lynn Stafford, and Mike Cass's opinion. All authorized Emmons techs as well authorized Builders during the last years the Lashley's operated. Maybe you fellows will believe them? Or not.