The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Left-Handed Promat D-10 8x7 Finally Completed!
Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2018 4:37 pm    

I've been working on this project off and on for about a year now. Whew, probably one of the most challenging ones that I've ever done. This guitar was ordered by Ron Grant, a left-handed "Day style" player in Texas about two years ago but the guitar could not be completed there in Serbia. Unfortunately, Dusan Papic, the machinist and builder of the Promat guitars passed away during the production of the parts.

Both Ron Grant and Dusan's son, Slobodan reached out to me to ask if I would consider assembling this guitar. I actually once owned a Promat D-10 and had also developed a friendly relationship with Dusan and Slobodan. I guess I felt somewhat obligated to take on this project, even thought I knew it would be difficult and very time consuming. It turned out to be a huge undertaking!

In the beginning I had several Skype sessions with Slobodan but even that was very challenging, given the language barrier between us. I did manage to facilitate getting the parts he had and the case shipped from Serbia via DHL, but of course there were parts sent that were unfinished and many items were just missing. One main obstacle for example, was that a few of the pedal cross shafts that were sent were for a right-handed guitar!

A few of you may remember me reaching out a while back for assistance in communicating with Slobodan. Well, Tomi Graso a fellow Forumite in Australia was able to help. He actually knows Slobodan and is fluent in both English and Serbian. He's also a great (left-handed) steel player and is a steel mechanic as well! He was a huge help, to say the least!

I want to thank my friend, Bob Littleton, who installed the mica panels on the cabinet and assembled it for me while I was on vacation early this year. That was a big help and saved me some time as well.

I also want to thank Forumite, Andy Depaule for loaning me his Promat D-10 for a few months while he's been out of the country. I was able to use a few of the parts of his guitar as examples to facilitate finishing and/or fabricating several of the parts for Ron's guitar. For example; the necks still needed to be drilled and tapped, knee lever parts fabricated, etc. Ron wanted extension flags on all the knee levers, so those were custom made as well.

I just took these photos this afternoon.

Does anyone know of any left-handed "Day" players near Portland, Oregon that could drop by and give this beauty a test drive? I'm not holding my breath...

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------

Last edited by Lynn Stafford on 8 Nov 2018 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2018 4:45 pm    

That’s awesome, Lynn! Have yourself a celebratory beer!

Mike Selecky

BrookPark, Ohio
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2018 4:59 pm    

Beautiful job, Lynn - I guess they sure found the right guy for the job!

Pete Bailey

Seattle, WA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2018 8:10 pm    

I was lucky enough to see some of Lynn's precision work on this one-of-a-kind instrument up close during a visit to his shop last month.

The amount of detail in the build is unbelievable. It looks beautiful, Lynn! I bet it plays like a dream, too.

Mark Robinson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2018 10:27 pm    

Beautiful work, Lynn!

Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2018 7:07 am    

Great job as usual Lynn although this one was a bit of a challange.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2018 7:50 am    

Pete Bailey said: "I bet it plays like a dream, too."

So do I, but how are we ever going to know? Smile

Marvelous work, Lynn - not for the faint-of-heart!

Bob Littleton

Camas, WA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2018 8:15 am    

Looks great Lynn! What a project!!!

Bob Bestor

Ashland, OR
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2018 11:35 am    

Unfortunately you had to settle for assistance from a Serbian/English bilingual, lefty steel player who doesn't play Day. Must have really slowed the process. Very Happy

Steve Leal

Orange CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2018 12:54 pm    

Beautiful guitar! Fine Job! I play left-handed pedal steel in Southern California. Wish you were closer so I could give her a whirl!

Stephen

Aaron Johnson

Lemoore, CA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2018 3:44 pm    

Nice work Lynn! What are you going to do with all of that work table space??😊

Steve Leal

Orange CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2018 4:56 pm    

Is this being shipped to the original buyer? Or will you be selling?

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2018 8:01 pm    

Lynn, I think you outdid yourself. What a BEAUTIFUL job on a MONSTER looking guitar. So many goodies underneath. Awesome Job, J.R.

Bob Muller

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2018 11:31 pm    

I saw this guitar at Lynn's shop last night, what a wonderful Job on a beautiful guitar! Very Happy

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2018 6:42 am    

Huge Huge Kudos Lynn....great results on a formidable undertaking!!

Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2018 8:48 am     Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for your very kind remarks and comments. This project was challenging to say the least, but it's been very rewarding bringing it to a close.

Steve Leal: No, this guitar won't be for sale. It is going to Ron Grant as soon as we can finalize things and I can get it packed up for the ride to Texas.

Yesterday I tried to put the guitar in its case to weigh it, so I could calculate a shipping cost. Well, guess what; the support blocks in the case that Promat supplied weren't installed in the correct orientation! Now the blocks in the bottom of the case will need to be modified or possibly replaced before I can even close the lid with the guitar inside. I was so focused on building the guitar that I never really looked very closely at the inside of the case. I just had assumed that it would be correct... oh well, just another little bump in the road.

Admittedly, working on a LH guitar is pretty challenging but just for fun, I thought I'd try to play it yesterday and had a good laugh at myself for even trying. I know that all the pedals and levers function as they should but that's about it!

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------

Last edited by Lynn Stafford on 10 Nov 2018 10:41 am; edited 2 times in total

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2018 2:37 pm    

I didn't know anything about this guitar being ordered or in works, until Ron contacted me asking for help, because he paid for the guitar, but Mr. Papic passes away before guitar was finished ... Mr. Papic's son Slobodan was very upset because he felt obligated to deliver guitar that was already paid for... this is one and only left hand Promat in existence ... when Ron ordered guitar Mr. Papic wes reluctant to accept the order since he never built a left hand guitar before... I am not steel guitar mechanic, and even less a push pull expert, so my help was minimal ... when Slobodan asked me what to do, I said do nothing , don't touch anything, and we'll see if Lynn would agree to finish the guitar... thankfully he did, and after a long process guitar is finally done ... Slobodan did all he could, since he used to help his father on building guitars, but doesnt have enough knowledge to build one himself, especially left handed push pull ... I figured Lynn was his best option, and now after seeing finished instrument, I am glad to see that I was right... this is not a rare guitar, this is one of a kind, the only one left hand Promat in the entire world... I hope at the end of this mess, everybody is happy with the result... congratulations on awesome pedal steel... and as always Lynn, hats down to you for the job done, awesome as always...

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2018 3:43 pm    

Lynn, what an awesome job on the guitar and I know or can only imagine how much work went into bringing it to life. I’m sure Ron is going to be a happy camper.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2018 3:45 pm    

Awesome job Lynn ...that is an incredibly good looking guitar - and glad you got hold of Tomi to help out ..His Emmons LGIII Lefty is a bewty too ... perhaps you should have flown him over from Aussie to give it a test drive - but I think he has the Emmons pedal setup :-}
Great effort mate.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Tomi Graso

Sydney / Australia
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2018 3:42 am    

Hi Lynn, Congratulations, what a great job you did. Woooow.
I am really impressed. Wasn't expecting it to be so detailed and shiny.
Guitar looks stunning ! One word that comes to mind is Perfection ! Glad I was able to assist in some way.
I am sure Ron Grant is going to LOVE it. It's an absolute jewel ! What Paddy Long suggested would be fantastic, who knows, maybe one day I get to test drive it...
Also Ron Grant sent me some recording of him playing his lefty D10 Mullen and I must say he is a good player !
This only one of a kind PROMAT in the Universe is going to a good home. Once again , Congratulations Lynn !
Best Regards from Tomi-steel / down under

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2018 6:39 pm     Left handed Day player near Portland?

Finding a Left handed Day player near Portland?
That's kind of like finding the place where the Ark of the Covenant is located!

I do a lot of stuff @** backwards if that's a help? I'll even be back in Oregon soon if I get my visa issue resolved.
Right now it turns out I'm an illegal alien here in Saigon until then. (Undocumented Steeler)
Lynn, You sure did a great job. Glad I could be a small help.
Very Happy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Tomi Graso

Sydney / Australia
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2018 6:45 pm    

That is really cool Andy, "like finding the place where the Ark of the Covenant is located" LOL ...still laughing heh heh...

Gaylen James

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2018 9:03 pm     Nice job

I see you added folding flag extensions to a couple of the knee levers.
Beautiful job !!!
Ive been thinking of doing this to a couple pedals on my double neck but really never saw a nice example.
Now I know it can be done.
On to the bench she goes! Wink Wink

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2018 9:58 pm     Just a thought

Tomi Graso wrote:
That is really cool Andy, "like finding the place where the Ark of the Covenant is located" LOL ...still laughing heh heh...

Just a thought; If you have a left handed steel with Day pedals (CBA) and everything is reversed to mirror image, then don't you actually have Emmons pedals (ABC)?
Shocked Whoa! Question Laughing
Starting to think life could be even more confusing if I was left handed too! Embarassed Laughing
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2018 8:19 pm    

Lynn’s work is always precise and heartfelt.
John