The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Japan's Charlie Nagatani
Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2018 5:15 am    

In Kumamoto. southern Japan. Charlie Nagatani has been putting on a festival called "Country Gold" since 2000 (excuse me 1990s) and other country music events since 1989. He's had artists like Bill Monroe, Clinton Gregory, Buddy Jewell, Aaron Tippin, Daryl Singleterry, Stonewall Jackson, Brad Paisley, Dierks Bentley, Alison Krauss, Charlie Daniels and many others.
He has also played on the G.O.O. Here's what they say about him on the G.O.O. website: https://www.opry.com/artist/charlie-nagatani
My pal, Yoshio, visited with Charlie yesterday and said Charlie, who is now 81, will be putting on his last festival this Summer.
This is a picture of Yoshio Taura on the left and Charlie on the right.

Last edited by Chris Templeton on 3 Nov 2018 7:47 am; edited 4 times in total

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2018 7:13 am    

Charlie's been doing Country Gold longer than that... I played there with Yoakam in '92, and I think he had been already doing it for a few years back then.
Great gig... totally pro production and a fun time spending about 4 days over there. He had his own country music club in Kumamoto, and there were nightly jams with the house band.
Hat's off to Charlie!

Here we are over there in '92...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqMovILAqdo

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2018 7:22 am    

Yes, he's been putting on country music events since 1989, and Country Gold since the '90's., not 2000.
His club is called "Good Time Charlie's", in Kumamoto and his band is "The Cannonballs".
When I was in Kumamoto, Mt. Aso had been spewing ash and some areas were covered with it.

Last edited by Chris Templeton on 3 Nov 2018 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2018 11:52 am    

Great Video Skip, I love the different vantage points that they used to film it. Great performance to, one of my favorite Dwight songs.

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2018 11:53 am    

In the Philippines country is big up in Baguio the vacation mountain resort area. There's a country radio station on everyday up there but it does not reach the rest of the country. And when the U.S. bases were in operation, in Olongapo (Subic Bay-Navy) and Angeles (Clark AFB), there must've been country bars catering to the thousands of enlisted that hit the towns in droves.

The bars on the main drag, Session Road, in Baguio host Filipino country bands.

There are at least two Filipino psg players I've seen in two bands.

One player, Cris Bordon holds his own on dragging bar.
He told me a story of playing in a bar catering to American expats/servicemen and one patron seeing Cris was in need of a guitar, gave him a good psg, had it shipped in.

Turns out it was forumites Chris Brooks and Steve Takacs:

Quote:

Topic: ''How many play Williams Steel Guitars ''?
posted 12 December 2003 08:03 AM
A couple of years ago Forumite Steve Takacs graciously assisted me in buying a steel for one of the few Filipino steelers, Cris Bordon. I had met Cris in 85 while on a DOD tour there. He and his family have a band. He had tremendous desire to play but was working with a broken down patched up Japanese steel (not an Excel).

Years later I found a good, reasonably priced Willliams S 10 in the Forum. We purchased it and sent it to Cris around 2000.

If you are ever in Angeles City, Luzon, Philippines, drop into Midnight Rodeo; you'll see a happy Cris Bordon seated behind a red Williams--possibly the only one in Asia?

Chris

I've had Cris and his red Williams in my studio for some sweet psg tracks some years ago way before getting a psg.

But as far as getting major country acts to perform in the Philippines, that is not too likely to happen as the draw would be limited.

The fact Japan makes their own psg's is telling as to market size for country.

Charlie is a regular Bill Graham in that respect.

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2019 5:52 am    

Just reading this and seeing Skip' video of him on B3 with Dwight. Great video Skip. Guessing you didn't double on steel, no steel visible in the video, tho quite a few Peavey amps on stage..

Tommy R. Butler

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2019 4:29 pm    

I played that show for Ray Scott & Billy Yates. We had a ball. Charlie is a great man very honorable. Charlie has an awesome top notch band that he also uses as the house band at his club. We got to set in with his band one night. that was great too. My most enjoyable trips abroad to date.

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2019 8:33 am    

I played bass with Heather Myles there awhile back. One of the coolest gigs I've ever had!