The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Choice of Mullen pickup
Dale McPherson

Morristown, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2018 3:53 am    

Which seems to be the best choice of pickup for a Mullen G2 E9 neck. A stock Mullen or a 705?

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2018 5:18 am    

The 705 would be very good. I tried several different pups in my new MSA and kept coming back to the 705. I played a Williams with a 710 for the last 12 years which I thought sounded really good. I had a Carter for quite a few years and tried the Truetone, E66 and ultimately went with the XR-16 which sounded great.

So with all that said,I still wouldn't hesitate to recommend the 705.

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2018 7:16 am    

Mullen single coil for me.

b.

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2018 6:47 pm    

Dale, I've got a single coil in my SD10 and 705s in my D10. I like them both equally as well. I haven't run into any issues where the single coil had excessive hum, but if you have played venues where it's a problem, don't hesitate to go with the 705. The G2 seems to like them both.

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2018 7:41 pm    

Hi Dale,
The replies to your question are right on. I use reissue 705s in my tv and session guitars.
I have Mullen stock pickups in the G2 for the Opry house and the same for my new Mullen Royal Precision for Opry Country Classics at the Ryman. I prefer the stock Mullen single coils. The 705 is very quiet and has a very similar sound as the Mullen single coil.
Del Mullen knows tone and does not compromise. Again, if you are playing in a low hum environment, the Mullen single coil is what I prefer.

Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, USA 1
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2018 5:19 am    

The stock single coil pickup brings out the best in a Mullen guitar in my opinion. I have tried several other pickups including the 705 chrome surround and newer version and always end up going back to the original Mullen single coil. I just prefer the tone of the single coil, especially the sweeter and not so thin high's. I have them in both my G2 and in my RP. The 705 would be my next choice and isn't too bad if you change out the pickup spacers so you can lower it down to the sweet spot. But what do I know? Listen to what Tommy says.

Last edited by Morton Kellas on 27 Oct 2018 8:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Dale McPherson

Morristown, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2018 5:37 am    

I appreciate all feedback. I currently do not own a Mullen but am seriously thinking of ordering a new one. I want a Formica guitar for a particular reason. I have been told the G2 is a very smooth playing guitar.

Mike Mantey

Eastern Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2018 12:22 pm    

Another vote for single coil. We spent quite some time in development for each of our pickup and guitar models. I always said the 705 was the closest thing to a single coil though. We have also noticed with the G2 the pickup does not effect it all that much. It is really built into the guitar and yes they play extremely smooth. You may call me direct if you have any questions that I can answer for you. 970-664-2518. Also delivery times are great right now. Perfect time to order.
(970) 664-2518
sales@mullenguitars.com
www.mullenguitars.com

Steve Leal

Orange CA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2018 5:31 pm    

I just ordered a Mullen G2 SD-10 today. It will be my first ever brand new guitar. I am too excited. I'm definitely sticking with the stock single coil. And this thread helps reassure me of this decision. Thanks all.