The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Kluson Stringmaster tuners
Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2018 5:55 pm    

Here is yet another experience: I have a short-scale Fender 400. One of the original Tuning Machines had stripped and another feels like it is going bad, so I replaced them with these Kluson reproductions.

The fit in the old Tray is perfect, but the Tray and Tuner Assembly did not fit the guitar cavity. The Reproduction Strips that I received are 1/16¨ thicker and 1/32¨ longer than the originals. That may not sound like much, but it is enough that I had to enlarge the tuner tray cavity in the guitar for them to fit. Care must be taken not to over-enlarge the cavity until it is wider or longer than the tray which would leave a gap and the need for another repair. As b0b pointed out to me, these are marketed by Kluson as replacement parts for Stringmaster, not the 400 PSG, but I can´t imagine that Fender (or Kluson) used two different parts back in the day.

I want to be clear that now that the repair and replacement is done, I am completely satisfied with the product and results. However, anyone planning a similar project should be aware that there may be more work involved than a simple Direct Replacement Repair. All in all, the replacements are great. Without them I would have been looking at some kind of Super-Kludge. Instead I have shiny new chrome and a higher gear ratio.

BTW, for those interested, b0b has the Reproduction Trays and Tuning Machines for sale in the Forum Store. Click the Accessories Link at the top of the page. Cool

Jim VanBuskirk

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2018 7:02 pm     kluson tuners

i have a Stringmaster long scale double neck from mid 70's.
my tuners were both worn so i too did the Kluson replacement.
One fit fine and the other was quite tight but it fit with a little persuasion.
im guessing that fender had some variation in the size of the pocket - or maybe the klusons are a bit irregular.
the klusons look the same as the originals and work great.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2018 12:17 am    

Michael Maddex wrote:
As b0b pointed out to me, these are marketed by Kluson as replacement parts for Stringmaster, not the 400 PSG, but I can´t imagine that Fender (or Kluson) used two different parts back in the day.

You are right - Fender didn't use different specs for the pedal steels and, as discussed earlier in this thread, people have had the exact problem you describe with Stringmasters too.

It seems there was a slight variation in the size of the cavities but within tolerance of the original tuners - so all vintage tuners fit into any medium or short scale Stringmaster. The new Klusons only fit in to some of them without modification.

Kluson are fully aware that their new tuners are slightly deeper and yet they still continue to describe them as direct replacements for the originals

Last edited by Jeff Mead on 30 Oct 2018 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2018 12:20 am     Re: kluson tuners

Jim VanBuskirk wrote:
i have a Stringmaster long scale double neck from mid 70's.

I think you probably have a medium scale (24.5").

The long scale ones were only made in 1954-55 and the tuners and pans are a different design altogether.

Jim VanBuskirk

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2018 5:58 am     kluson

yep - medium scale - 24.5

Joe Burke

Toronto, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2019 3:02 pm    

Any new stories on the kluson replacement tuners? I have a 57 D8 Stringmaster, and on both necks, the 4th tuner (top left) is stripped.

Thanks!

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2019 8:10 am    

They're the closest thing to a direct replacement that you're going to find. I've used them and did have to take out a little wood using a dremel style drum sander. Part of the problem appears to be that the gear covers are made of a thicker metal than the originals so the folded over tabs push the tuners back from the pan a little bit. You might try using a dremel tool to make those tabs a little thinner first.

Joe Burke

Toronto, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2019 9:49 am    

Thanks Bill!

Think I’ll order them today. I see they’re available in chrome or nickel. Anyone know what the originals are made of? I’d like them to be as close to correct as possible.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2019 8:03 am    

I would say nickel.
Erv

Keith Wait

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2020 3:44 pm     Kluson 8 string tuners

I'm wondering if anyone has tried these on a mid 50s Rick tray, and if they fit?