The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How Do You Adjust Steel Seat Height?
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2018 7:40 am    

It looks like Jon has the answer!
A simple fix for, what seems to be, a complicated problem. Rolling Eyes
Erv

gary pierce

Rossville TN
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2018 10:28 am    

You can buy these, and just tap the bottom metal cap on your seat. Place a nut on each one to tighten against the metal cap and keep height from changing.

https://www.amazon.com/Do4U-Furniture-Leveling-Adjuster-Thread/dp/B06XY68CY2?ref_=w_bl_hsx_s_hi_web_15093077011

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2018 11:15 am     Re: adjustable seat height

Richard Stoops wrote:
.... about new legs and they offered to make a new set of legs for $50.00 which is very reasonable, but I would have to send the seat to them for the conversion.

Seems expensive to me... for just two pieces of bent tubing sprayed-painted black. Oh, I guess a big part of that $50 would be for them to ship it back to you. But then, you'd have to pay the same to get it to them.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2018 11:40 am    

This works very well for me.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=317561&highlight=seat

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2018 11:52 am    

For folding legs, Ron Funk's suggestion of adding blocking seems the most practical and cheapest. A white pine 2x3 stud is 1 ½ in. thick. You can buy an 8 footer for about 3 bucks and cut to length. You can also buy furring strips in different thickness.

A similar block placed where the center leg locking clamp goes and perhaps a longer screw there.

If you don't have access to or aren't comfortable with a saw, the home center can cross cut the length for you.

A few screws and you're done and, like said, you don't have the problem with lengthened folding legs not fitting underneath.

As to seat and leg design:

I seem to remember someone built a seat with straight legs that slipped into sockets and secured with a thumb screw. With this system, you could have the length you want and would still stow underneath on clips either by sizing the tubing length or adding the insert/leveling feet as described above.

I guess the bent tubing method was so popular because it made setup quicker, but it only takes a short time to fit straight legs into sockets and tighten a thumb screw. About the same time or less than putting on the steel guitar legs.

Dan Rollans

Little Rock, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2018 5:13 pm     Steelers Choice response to thread.

Hello fellow steel players. As a steel guitar seat builder and owner of Steelers Choice, I would like to respectfully respond to this thread. Speaking for Steelers Choice, I welcome and value the opinions,ideas and suggestions from all steel players. I'm not only a builder, but I have been playing steel for 42 years also. Fresh ideas are great.
My father Kenn Rollans started Steelers Choice in 1978. During the early stages, he researched and experimented with several ideas for a usable and durable portable seat. The end result, size and functionality of the seat has not changed much over the years. We have sold over 5000 since 1978. It has served us well for 40 years. Dad past away Nov. 13,2013, seven years after I took over the business.
I came up with the idea and design for the Steelers Choice Sidekick in 1989. The idea came partly from a seat built by my friend Jack Hern of the former seat company JackPac. Fine seats I might add. Jack built himself an extended seat for some small effects units. I used this concept for additional room and access to strings and other items while seated. Thank you Jack.
Steelers Choice offers the option for custom builds. I will build or consider a build of a seat to anyone's specifications. I have built some very interesting seats.
Yes, Steelers Choice uses a lot of aluminium trim and hardware on our seats. This is the way my father designed our products for protection and yes, it also looks nice.
Aluminium trim may not be for everyone. I totally respect the opinions of those that may dislike the concept.
I also agree with the players that are using drum thrones, piano benches and other seats. If they are working for you, why change? "If it ain't broke,don't fix it"
Okay now for the adjustable height.
Over the years,Dad and I have looked into and experimented with the concept of adjustable legs. We were unable to come up with a concept that was cost effective, durable and safe that could be adapted to the seat design that has served us so well.
A concept mentioned in this thread was used by a
seat builder years back. The use of straight legs with predrilled settings and set screws was a great idea. The legs used on that seat were solid aluminium. Hollow tubing would not work well. Solid aluminium would only add to the weight of the seat,which is another very hot topic when it comes to "us" players that have chosen to play one of the already heaviest portable instruments out there. But that's another topic.
The cost off solid metal legs and the brackets would not be very cost effective. Meaning a higher retail price, which is another very hot topic. Speaking for Steelers Choice, I'm nowhere close to getting rich building steel guitar seats. I enjoy being able to carry on my fathers business and be a small part of the steel guitar world. I would not recommend building seats as an only income. HaHa!!
Back to topic:
On the Steelers Choice seats, each set of legs are hand cut,bent,polished and fitted to each individual seat. I do not have any computer CNC operated equipment. Only the tubing benders and jigs that we have used for so many years. All hand operated. Again, "If it ain't broke don't fix it". Therefore to achieve a proper fit and finish, I would have to replace the legs and braces in house. I would not be able to build and ship a set of legs that would be a direct fit for a Steelers Choice seat. The cost of the replacement may seem expensive, but it can ward off a lot of unwanted frustration. The cost of material and labor has to be considered. I feel it is fair.
Note: Believe it or not, I'm trying to keep the build cost down to reflect a reasonable retail price. Our prices have not changed since 2013. That may need to change in the future as material cost go up. But for now, I'm satisfied at 2013 prices.
I always ask a new customer for their specific height needed for the seat. I suggest sitting at the guitar at the most comfortable height. Then measure from the floor to the "uncompressed" height of the seat. I will build the seat to this height. This communication has worked very well for us over the years. Lots of happy customers.
The adding of wooden blocks under the legs and center support is another great idea for those that have purchased a too short used seat or just want to add a little more height to their seat for various reasons. Remember new longer bolts will have to be installed also. Great idea and alternative to leg replacement.
Adjustable leg inserts:
This concept was brought up in a thread a few years back.
Very good idea also. I have not installed any type adjustable inserts in my Steelers Choice seats. Therefore, I can't vouch for or endorse them. However, I have given out information on where the can be purchased and have had good feedback on how they work.
As shown earlier in this thread they can be purchased at:
www.essentracomponents.com
Parts needed:
LRT1140A 4 required
AFB1015A 4 Required
There are others on the market as well. A search on the internet will show several I'm sure.
When installing these inserts on a Steelers Choice Easy Rider model, the legs may not fold up due to clearance.
The Sidekick model has plenty of clearance.
I do not stock these inserts. You can buy these direct from the supplier. Again, trying to keep the cost down.
Crutch Tips:
Another great alternative. Crutch tips can be purchased at most drug stores and probably even Wal-Mart.
Disadvantages: They are bulky and can prevent legs from folding. You must place a washer or Yes, quarters in the inside bottom of the crutch tip. If not, the metal will cut through the rubber.
Sorry for the long post. But I felt that I needed to respond, Not Defend, but respond to this good thread.
I want to say thank you to all the great people that use Steelers Choice seats and welcome to those that may be interested in a new seat in the present or future. Give me a call at 501-912-6526 or email at dano5907@aol.com. We can talk about seats, seat ideas, steels, dirt track racing, you name it.
There are other great seat builders out there also,
Joe Naylor at Steelseat.com. I can honestly say my buddy Joe may agree with some of my comments.
Again let me say to the many players that are comfortable with their seat of choice, be it a drum throne and travel case, folding piano bench or homebuilt, you have my total respect and admiration. After all, we don't play the same brand of guitar. How much fun would that be? What would we talk about?
Thank you for your time.
Dan Rollans
Owner
Steelers Choice
www.steelerschoice.com

Jeremy Threlfall

now in Western Australia
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2018 11:51 pm    

well, I don't understand why you just cant order seats with bespoke leg heights. (I use a throne too btw). Same way I don't understand why steels have adjustable legs on them. Why not just have a plain leg ordered from the factory at the height you need
http://ralwaybell.bandcamp.com/

Gary Cosden

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2018 2:48 am    

I have a steelseat.com seat with the adjustable height option and it looks like the same or similar components mentioned by Dan Rollans were used. It works quite well and I would recommend this option to anyone buying a new seat. Ergonomics are important!

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2018 8:08 am    

Jeremy Threlfall wrote:
well, I don't understand why you just cant order seats with bespoke leg heights. (I use a throne too btw). Same way I don't understand why steels have adjustable legs on them. Why not just have a plain leg ordered from the factory at the height you need

You've obviously never played at the Broken Spoke where the stage tilts back drastically where the steel sits. The steel legs have to be adjusted. The seat could be adjusted, only they don't exist.
This happens all over where I play. Stages range from great to terrible where your steel is straddle a differ section of the stage or straddle throw rugs (which is popular). I have to adjust steel legs on every stage I setup on. It might just be one leg

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2018 8:48 am    

I agree with Chris.
How many times have you seen steelers wanting to buy a set of adjustable legs for their GFI.
Pass the Lone Star. Very Happy
Erv

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2018 7:36 pm     Since we're talking about crutches...

Can we apply this idea to seat legs? A set of staggered holes 90° around would allow more precise adjustment. Would it work?

Dan Rollans

Post  Posted 16 Oct 2018 7:47 pm    

Dad and I looked into this concept, like an old tent pole.
It may work for a while, but for me, I don’t think it would be very durable or long lasting.
It would need to be very heavy duty for me to condsider incorporating it into production.
I would hate for a spring loaded push pin to break under weight right in the middle of
“Farewell Party”. Haha!

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2018 8:44 pm    

Chris Schlotzhauer wrote:
... This happens all over where I play. Stages range from great to terrible where your steel is straddle a differ section of the stage or straddle throw rugs (which is popular). I have to adjust steel legs on every stage I setup on. It might just be one leg

The drum throne has an advantage when the floor is uneven. Three points are always in the same plane, so the throne does not wobble. But its feet can be a trip hazard. I knew they were there, and still had some close calls when moving around on a crowded bandstand.

OTOH, if the height adjustment ring doesn't stay tight, the seat moves, and that annoys the heck out of me. I can't imagine using a seat that rotates. I would lose my mind.

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2018 2:30 am    

Why not base a packseat on a structure like this (sorry for the rough sketch)? Okay, it restricts usable loading space to some degree, but it would be relatively easy to incorporate sliding tubular legs that could be adjusted for height – in fixed increments or maybe even continuosly.

Dan Rollans

Post  Posted 17 Oct 2018 5:34 am    

This is the concept used by a builder a few years back that I referred to in my response.
I believe he was from the New York area if I’m not mistaken. Come on someone help me out with a name. But anyway, that seat was very well built but also very heavy and expensive, even years back. Herby Wallace had a blue seat of his. Again, I’m not saying it will not work. I’m saying that weight and cost to build would be a factor due to the need for a heavy type material for the legs. Stil a good idea.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2018 7:01 am    

Dan,
Just keep doin' what you're doin'. Very Happy
Erv

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2018 2:34 pm    

Hi folks,
All of the prior options are worthy and I’d like to offer what I did this week. Please remember:

-I’ve gained several pounds and need something sturdy.
-My seat gets “handled” by allot of different people and airlines particularly concern me.
-I have a machine shop available in our company

So here is a pic of my idea. My seat has hollow aluminum tubing type legs so I made the inserts so they would slip into the legs, left a shoulder for my weight to sit on, glued the inserts, and placed a screw on the inside of the legs to help insure that the inserts won’t get detached, and hopefully, the screw head won’t get sheared off. Also, the inserts are made of 6061 grade Aluminum for strength. Sorry the pic doesn’t show the screw. I pre-drilled a 1/8” hole with a titanium bit and used a #6 x 3/4” self-drilling screw.

Btw, if you want to do this ask a local machine shop if they have some “drops”(leftovers) of the material you need. Otherwise, all I could find were 20’ lengths.

Hope the info is useful.

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2018 2:01 pm     How Do You Adjust Steel Seat Height

Marty I like your solution. I have made similar fitting to lengthen legs and to give a solid area so the tubing does not cut through the rubber foot.
I have a seat built by Rick Troyer's father (Humming Bird Music, Ohio). When he made the legs, The top of the seat was 21 1/4" tall. I had my old seat blocked up to my height. Cut the legs to match. That was about 2005 still fits great. Has Boat seat hinges and padded back rest I custom fit to me. It is a little heavy but, I can sit for hours, Practice or a gig and no pains.

Patrick Richards

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2018 6:10 am    

I've been going about this all wrong. IKEA chair cushion, $7.95 Found a great little gel cushion at Walmart in the automotive section about an inch thick. Fits perfect.

Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2018 2:48 pm     Inserts

Dan, I ordered those leg inserts from the link you
gave me about Year or so ago. They work really
well for about an inch or little more of extra height.
Any higher that that and they get a little wobbly.

Steven Meister

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2019 7:09 pm    

I just got four cane tips from Walmart.com for $3.98 shipped. They only raise the seat slightly, but I think it's just what I need. Thanks for the crutch tip idea in the original post!