The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Herb Remington
Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2018 4:06 am    

i spoke to herb many times when i started playing steel
in th 70's. always helpfull to me i bought a msa d-10 from him and he made sure it was right. bought a lot of strings to from herb R.I.P MY Friend

p.w Crying or Very sad

Floyd Lowery

Deland, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2018 5:27 am    

This is a very sad day for our steel guitar family. Not only the loss of one of the most talented, but also such a nice person. RIP

Gerry Hogan

Burghclere, Hampshire, England
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2018 5:33 am    

I am really very sad to read this. Herb was a very special person and a wonderful steel player. He and his wife, Mel, were two of the kindest, most generous and genuine people I've ever had the privilege to know.

Dave Hayward and I brought Herb over to star at the first British Steel Guitar Festival in 1984 and he was kind enough to come over again in 1990, as one of the star players - along with Hal Rugg that year.

Barbara, Patrick, Sian and I will miss him. RIP Herb!

Gerry Hogan

Billy Easton

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2018 9:03 am    

So sorry to hear of Herb’s passing. I met him several times at various steel shows, and found him always to be humble and polite. I will think of him every time I play Remington Ride. RIP ....

Blake Hawkins

Florida
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2018 10:29 am    

Jody Carver called today. He is very sorry to learn of Herb's passing. Jody has computer problems and is unable to log on to the forum so he asked me to post the following:
"Herb Remington was my hero. I learned a lot from his playing when I was first starting, around 1951.
Over the years, We met several times and became good friends. He was a fine man as well as a wonderful musician.
I will miss him greatly. May God rest his soul."

David Weisenthal

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2018 10:52 am    

Very sad to read this. I'm grateful I got to speak to him once when I bought one of his courses. He kept calling me sir and I remember not feeling worthy of that. He seemed like a very nice fellow. And such a musician...wish I could have met him.

Alan Cannell

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2018 11:17 am    

I also met Herb at Gerry’s Steel Festival and what a gentleman and so approachable. There’s was nothing about him that suggested he was “ I’m a superstar...” . I can honestly say that Herb and Maurice Anderson shared a similar quality of not only having a great talent but would willingly share their knowledge in the most down to earth way and treated you as an equal human being. There can’t be many true legends of this quality left now.
Here’s Herb and me at that festival...

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2018 12:09 pm    

I was traveling and saw the news late. Herb has been ill but this is still sad to learn. He was a true gentleman and a master steel guitarist. Herb was the last of a generation that put steel guitar on the map and created the blueprint for what so many others later achieved. He was one of my favorite interviews in my lap steel book. I know Cindy Cashdollar must be devastated as Herb was her friend and mentor.

Bernie Watruba

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2018 2:55 pm     Herb Remington

We have truly lost a very special gentleman, steel legend, and friend to all. We were in Houston area in Aug 1994, we gave Herby a phone call. It will always be one of our most rewarding days. He invited my wife and I into his music shop at his home. Spending the afternoon with him, playing some of his steel guitars. He loved sharing his stories, so very humble. And then he invited us to come to his show that night. We were his guests that evening at a ballroom in Pasadena, sitting at a table right next him. We will always remember this man who loved to share so much with others. Truly an inspiration in many ways. What a blessing to have been his friend. Bernie and Janet Watruba

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 28 Oct 2018 4:29 pm    

Herb and I were friends for many years. I visited his home office at least twice and we talked by phone numerous times. He and I also played my Fender during visits. He was very gracious to give me some specific instructions to help me improve my playing technique. I purchased many of his tabs for steel songs. When his wife, Mel, died he gave me permission to post a memorial video on the forum. The video was of Mel singing and Herb playing steel. Here are several photos taken during these visits, and the video which I posted when Mel died. Herb was a great friend and steel player and will be missed by me and many others.

MEMORIAL TO MEL REMINGTON
Herb Playing Steel on Songs

C. E. Jackson Sad
A6 tuning for steels

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 28 Oct 2018 5:33 pm    

So sad to hear of Herb's passing. Back in the 70's I wrote Herb a few letters asking questions and got wonderful letters back. What a kind and helpful man who was a great player as well.

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2018 6:39 pm     So very sad

So very sad... Nothing more I can add to what has already been said. Sad
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Finis Spier

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2018 7:45 pm     herb remington

I bought my first pro guitar #rom herb a d 10 Emmons he was very helpful in me getting started playing he was real Texas western swing player he will be missed

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2018 10:31 pm    

My condolences go out to all of Herb Remington's family and friends. I was visiting a friend of mine in Houston years ago who lived near him and we went over to his house and checked out his shop. I had only been playing pedal steel for a few years at the time and Herb was as nice as could be and answered all of my questions. Later on another friend of mine bought an old Fender Twin off of him. It had JBL's in it so it was really heavy but it sounded great. I remember seeing him play at the steel convention in St. Louis quite a few times. I always loved watching his set, he was such a great musician! I remember once he made his steel sound like a Chimpanzee laughing, he had the audience in stitches. He was truly an icon in the steel guitar world. May he RIP

Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2018 1:50 am     Re: Herb Remington

I got the chance to see Herb many years ago at Gerry Hogan's first ever steel convention here in U.K. I had a "stand" with a few steels I had engraved...and Herb payed me a compliment saying "You're a very talented man" ...He was such a Gent, he could have just looked, and walk past, but to get a compliment on something I just did as a hobby was great. I was so very impressed with Herb's playing with no pedals. So sad to say but another of the "Greats" has gone. R.I.P. Herb Remington.

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 29 Oct 2018 7:44 am    

Why can't I find out anything about this two days later on the internet? Confused

Ethan Shaw

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2018 10:41 am    

Herb taught me everything I hadn't figured out on my own, and then fixed everything I had. It was a dream come true to get lessons from the guy I was trying to play like. I hope he knows how many of us he has helped and inspired.

Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2018 11:31 am     Re: Herb Remington

Micky Byrne wrote:
I got the chance to see Herb many years ago at Gerry Hogan's first ever steel convention here in U.K. I had a "stand" with a few steels I had engraved...and Herb paid me a compliment saying "You're a very talented man" ...He was such a Gent, he could have just looked, and walk past, but to get a compliment on something I just did as a hobby was great. I was so very impressed with Herb's playing with no pedals. So sad to say but another of the "Greats" has gone. R.I.P. Herb Remington.

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2018 4:02 pm    

I'm very sorry to hear of Herb's passing. I always found him to be warm, friendly and a humble man. That, of course, besides the fact that he was a true legend of the steel guitar.

I was usually out on the road all the years I lived outside of Houston. When I got home for a few days, Don Barr and I would sometimes go over to visit and spend some time with Herb at Jean Street. That was back in the late '70s through the '80s. I'll never forget the three of us together, listening to "One for the Road" by Buddy. It had just been released and Herb had just gotten it. It was the first any of us had heard it. We were all infatuated with the playing and the tone. I remember Herb saying, "that's just the most delicious tone." Sure was cool..!!!

Rest in peace and may God keep you in His embrace, Herb. You were a big influence for so many and gave a lot of great music and happiness. My deepest sympathies and prayers go out for his family and friends.

Sincerely,

Chris "Tiny" Olson

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 29 Oct 2018 4:03 pm    

Quote:
I’ve just gotten word that Herb Remington has passed away last night or today, I will update as more info comes in.

Does anyone have a link to a story verifying this news? I can't find one....

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2018 3:39 am    

Barry, I couldn't either till this morning.

The Houston Cronicle just posted an obit.

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2018 5:12 am    

I am so sorry to hear about Herb. Condolences to the family.
I haven't thought about Jean Street in years. I used to go to Herb's place on Jean Street back in the early 70's. Herb was always very nice and a warm person. Willing to show a young guy anything. I even bought a very nice Sho-Bud from him. It was always a pleasure to go there and just hang out. You never knew who was going to show up and help you with something.
Herb was a wonderful man. In those days, I did not realize what a legend he was. Later, I realized how lucky I was at the time. I sure miss those early days. Herb is there with the rest of the legends. RIP

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 30 Oct 2018 7:50 am    

Thanks, Craig. If Dan hadn't mentioned it here, I would have never known. Legend or no, I guess we all just fade away.... Oh Well Sad

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2018 8:41 am     Herb Remington

Many years ago, I was in Pasadena, Texas on business. I called Herb and he told me to come on over to his shop, that was located next to his home. He was so kind and graceful. I bought a few small things but wish I could have bought more. My memory of him is that he was a real sweetheart of a guy. I feel lucky to have spent time with him if only an hour. RIP Herb and thanks for the memories and Remington Ride.

Bob Gondesen

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2018 9:39 am     Herb Remington

HERB WAS A NICE AND TALENT GUY . I HAVE KNOWN HIM FOR
MANY YEARS AND BOUGHT STEEL GUITARS FROM HIM .
HE RECORDED AT LIMELIGHT RECORDING STUDIO IN
DICKINSON TEXAS ,THE OWNER , DON WESTMORELAND , WHO I
HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO PLAY FOR 45 YRS WOULD CALL ME
TO LET ME KNOW THAT HERB WAS DOING A SESSION . I WOULD
RUSH OVER AND SIT IN THE CONTROL ROOM AND LISTEN WITH
HOPE OF LEARNING SOMETHING .
AFTER HERB WOULD LAY DOWN A TRACT HE WOULD COME IN THE CONTROL ROOM TO LISTEN ,
HE WOULD ASK DID THAT SOUND
OKAY , I REPLIED , DON'T ASK ME , YOUR IN THE HALL OF
FAME . HE JUST WOULD SMILE .
I SURELY WILL MISS HIM AND I KNOW OTHERS WILL TO , RIP

BOB GONDESEN