The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Herb Remington
Dan Johnson

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2018 8:51 am    

I’ve just gotten word that Herb Remington has passed away last night or today, I will update as more info comes in.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2018 10:43 am    

This is one of the saddest days ever in the steel guitar world. Words can't express my appreciation for everything Herb has meant to us steel players all over the world, but mostly what a wonderful man he was.

I'm so glad I had the opportunity to speak with him, email with him and most of all embarrass myself playing in front of him, and he was always the kindest gentleman. Most of all, I'm thankful for his music.

Last edited by Mike Neer on 27 Oct 2018 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2018 11:04 am    

Such a historic figure. Time marches on.

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2018 11:06 am    

Yes Mike, so very sad, such a great long life lived, what a nice man.

I hope Cindy Cashdollar chimes in, they were such great friends.

RIP, Herb.

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2018 11:25 am    

Sad to hear of his passing.....he was an amazing steel player, a nice man, and a gentleman with class....I'm glad that we had him in our world as long as we did....

Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2018 11:25 am    

Herb Remington with two of Georgia's GaSGA Legend Members, Mac Atchenson and Rick (Sunny) Allbright. (All now deceased)
Rest in Peace, Mr. Remington.
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com

John Lang

Las Vegas, Nevada
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2018 12:04 pm    

He was an inspiration to all players of all styles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGTpuPgca8U

Jim Newberry

Seattle, Upper Left America
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2018 12:58 pm    

Sad day, indeed. I felt fortunate to just have a phone conversation with the legend once. He spoke of the days traveling in the Wills bus through the Pacific NW, and seemed happy that some of us are carrying on in non-pedal A6. Thank you for everything, Mr. Remington.

-1950 Fender Dual Pro 8
-1950's Fender Dual Pro 6
-Clinesmith D8
-Clinesmith 8-string Frypan
-Clinesmith Joaquin
-~1940 National New Yorker
-~1936 Rickenbacher B6
-Homebuilt Amps

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2018 1:11 pm    

Sorry to hear this news! As others mentioned he was such a Great Guy and Steel Guitarist! I have been listening to his music since I was a mere boy. I was 8 years old the first time that I heard his Steel Guitar playing. My cousin belonged to a Record club and gave me a Herb Remington album titled "Remington Rides Again! " I still listen to his music. He was very helpful and a Great inspiration for me. Prayers for his Family and Friends! RIP Herb Remington!

Nate Hofer

Overland Park, Kansas
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2018 1:43 pm    

Looks like this hasn't hit the news wires yet. Sorry to hear. Loved his music and shook his hand once...

Sandra Scott-Wall

St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2018 2:35 pm    

Herb Remington was the 4th Hall of Fame member inducted in 1979. His song "Remington Ride" has become a classic that every steel player, both professional and amateur, plays. He was such a nice man and his appearances at the ISGC were always anticipated with great eagerness. RIP Herb.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2018 2:36 pm    

Another huge loss to our community. RIP, Herb, and best wishes and condolences to his family.

Gary Watkins

Bristol, VA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2018 2:39 pm    

Sorry to hear this!

Chuck S. Lettes

Denver, Colorado
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2018 3:05 pm    

Herb will always be one of my very favorites. He was so approachable and genuine, one of the good guys. I loved how he combined Western Swing and Hawaiian music.
Chuck

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2018 3:23 pm     RIP Mr. Herb.

You will be missed. I’m glad that I got to know you.

W. C. Edgar

Iowa City Iowa, Madison CT, Nashville, Austin, Phoenix, L or R Coast Soon!
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2018 3:37 pm    

So sorry to hear this.
When I lived in Nashville & was playing pedal steel on tour with BB Watson who was the first country artist signed to BNA Nashville we were playing the Pasadena Rodeo.
I knew Herb through a mutual friend and called him at home in Houston.
He drove his van out to the hotel we were staying at, picked me up and we spent the day in his steel shop at his home on Jean Street watching Bobby Bowman build Herb's new 'Remmington' guitars.
It's another of many memories I'll always cherish.
He was a great human being and incredible player.
RIP Pal
WC
1979 Peavey LTD
1980 Peavey Nashville 400
Goodrich L-120
Toured with Tim McGraw, Alan Jackson & more
wcedgar.com

Joe Rogers

Lake Charles, LA USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2018 4:38 pm    

It really saddens my heart to hear of Herb's passing.

Years ago I was playing local bars as a singer and rhythm guitar player. I loved steel guitar and owned a Sho-Bud Maverick, but I knew that guitar would not take me where I wanted to go. Some friends of mine kept after me to go hear a 6-string swing guitar player in Beaumont by the name of Billy Carter.

The night I decided to go, it was unknown that several Bob Wills alumni were planning to show up and play onstage the entire night. Two fiddle players of whom one was Clyde Brewer, along with one guy playing sax and one guy on clarinet. Off to the side was Herb Remington. I spent the entire night in front of his guitar watching his every move. At the end of the night, he came up to me and asked if I was a steel player. I told him, "No, but I want to be one." He gave me his business card and a few months later I made the trek to Houston to buy my first pro guitar. It was a black Sho-Bud Super Pro.

I owned that guitar for about 7 months and had nothing but trouble with it. Took it to friends who knew mechanisms, they had trouble with it. I called Herb and said, "I think I have a lemon." He laughed and said, "No Joe, that is a great guitar. Bring it back and trade it in." He then sold me onto a 12-string Universal Dekley. I learned a lot of music on that guitar. A year later I met Herb at the St. Louis convention and he said, "Remember that Sho-Bud you traded back to me? I re-sold that guitar and you wouldn't believe the trouble we have had with the mechanism on that guitar." I smiled and said, "I told you so!" LOL!!!

He was the consummate salesman. The very first day I walked into his shop on Jean Street, I heard this glorious music coming out of his stereo speakers. My ears instantly perked and I immediately asked, "Who is that playing...??" He said, "That is the Hal Rugg Altered Ego album." I said, "I want to buy that album before I leave this store." I was forever changed. Having never heard of Buddy Emmons at that point in my life, Hal's playing was my first introduction to the full potential of jazz on pedal steel.

I have another amusing story concerning Herb. When I traded in the Sho-Bud for the Dekley he watched me play and said, "Joe, you're playing all wrong. You need to turn your hand and mute with the fleshy part." I went home and tried to mute like that and it totally went against the grain. So, I discarded the suggestion. Months later I went to Jeff Newman's week-long college and Jeff said, "Joe, you're playing all wrong. You need to turn your hand and mute with the fleshy part." Leaving Jeff's school and having two pros tell me the same thing, I figured if I was gonna learn then I needed to do what they said.

I spent the next 2 years muting. I found I could play pretty, but never had any speed whatsoever. Try as I may, I knew I would never play any fast tempos. Then one day I show up back at Herb's shop and he tells me, "Joe, there's this kid in town who is playing this new technique called pick blocking. It is the fastest thing you've ever seen. Boy if you could learn that, it would triple your speed." I then met with Tom Bath who taught me how to pick block and in doing so, I realized it was the way I originally started out playing before Herb and Jeff discouraged me against the technique! Laughing

I owe a lot to Herb. He was the first pro player I ever saw perform live, he introduced me to my first pro guitar, he introduced me to the Universal tuning, he introduced me to jazz on pedal steel through Hal Rugg's playing, and he introduced me to pick blocking. In short, I likely would never have become a steel player at all had I not met him, and I certainly would not have progressed to any sort of advanced level whatsoever had I not met him.

Herb truly loved steel guitar and that was exactly the type of player I needed to be around to nurture my own personal desire for the instrument.

Rest in Peace my friend, and thank you for everything you have done for me...

Joe Rogers

Lee Barber

Sweeny, TX, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2018 5:07 pm    

I use to call Herb and talk to him, he got to where I had to tell him who I was. I tried to go see him in Sept. He didn't answer his door or his phone. Missy Brown who has been helping out with Herb said, he should be there, but his hearing was getting worse.
I never got to get back over there.
Herb was a great guy and truly will be missed. I sure wish I could have set and visited with him once more.

RIP HERB

Blake Hawkins

Florida
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2018 6:51 pm    

Herb's playing introduced me to Western Swing.
I bought all the records I could find that had him playing.
Got to meet him once at the ISGC. He was very cordial and I bought some material from him.
May he rest in peace.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2018 8:19 pm    

I just got the news tonight from Ray Benson at the Asleep At The Wheel concert at Renfro Valley.

Ray announced it from the stage and Eddie Rivers played Remington Ride in tribute to Herb Remington.

An icon in the world of early western swing music. RIP.

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2018 1:04 am    

I am out of words, this is so sad.

Farewell, my friend and thanks for the inspiration you gave to so many of us.

Walter Stettner
Vienna, Austria

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2018 1:30 am    

My late father was a really good keyboard player. I had recorded one of Herb's vinyl albums on to CD and was playing it in my car when I was driving my father. He asked "Who is that playing"? I told him that it was Herb Remington. He said that it was the best playing that he had heard from my extensive collection., and made me play Sweet Georgia Brown 4 times. Dad was a big fan after that day.

RIP Herb - you were an all time great.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Graham Griffith

Tempe, N.S.W., Australia
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2018 1:39 am    

Herb has always been a major inspiration for me and influenced my the way I play. I've always loved best his "Steel Guitar Holiday" album from 1959 with Paul Buskirk on guitar. "Sam 'n Oscar" from that album I've played on and off for 20 years as the twin part lead is delightful. We only recently got the drummer to play the fantastic bongo part on "Remington Ride" from that album. Herb was an amazing player. His rendition of "Getting Sentimental Over You" on Tom Morrell's "No Peddlers Allowed" has also greatly influenced my approach to standards. What a loss. Aloha Herb Remington.

Geoff Cline

Southwest France
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2018 1:39 am    

Herb had one of the greatest "musical vocabularies" and senses of humor that I have ever witnessed. He would quote jazz, pop, country and rock songs in his solos with such musicality. A joy to see and hear. One of the best parts of living in TX was seeing Herb live. #legendary

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2018 2:59 am    

Another great one is gone. I never met Herb but sure admired his playing.