The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Copedent, compensator, setup suggestions from ya'll!
Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2018 10:12 am    

Hey ya'll

So i've never bought a new pedal steel before but I've got one on order.

It is just a single 10 neck.. it will end up being 4X5 I'm pretty sure. I just sold a guitar that was that setup but I very rarely play it. My main at home guitar that is always set up is an old LDG Bud that I LOVE and my main gigging guitar is a Show Pro 3X4 with very little and that's my world. Lloyd Green is my favorite all time player and I love what he does with so little but figure I might as well go with 4 and 5.

What i'm looking for is SUGGESTIONS ON COPEDENT for the 0 pedal and vertical lever that you like and WHY.

Also any compensators that you feel really help. ( I can't live without one on my lower F# string so that it is in tune with the AB down and the open as well for instance. )

Also SPLITS.. any suggestions. This guitar is arguably the most customizable in the world so I can do anything... but would love to hear other peoples AH HA!!! Setup things where they can't do with out it.. (or really wouldn't want to) I had splits on my sold guitar but both I play literally have NONE but I did like em when they were in my repetoir.

When you leave your suggestions I'd really love to know WHY you do it that way.

Thanks! I really look forward to hearing what you all have to say... help a brother out!!

Very Happy

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2018 10:27 am    

Can you post a chart of what you have set-in-stone so far?
Also, what brand/model?

Three things that often end up on the 4th E9th pedal are:

G#'s to G. Makes open chords a Minor, and makes A+0 down a 7th of the AB down chord.

String-6 G# to F#, plus, strings 1 and 2 raise to be in unision with strings 3 and 4. You can split the G# to F# with the B-pedal to get a G note, too.

The Franklin Pedal.

A common change for the LKV is B to Bb, which can be split with the A-pedal to make AB down into a Minor chord. Open chords slide two frets back for a 7th.

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2018 8:24 pm    

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2018 8:26 pm    

hopefully i did that right... i just got back from the east coast.. not much sleep for about 5 days!

I have a SUPER standard setup... on the 4 X 5 I had my 0 pedal dropping the G#'s to G... i had no idea anyone else did this but i just never used the Franklin changes.. but I should do some research on the Franklin pedal again.

The only unstandard thing is that I have the top string just doing the half step.. pretty common...

Very common.

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2018 8:39 pm    

Oh and it is going to be one of the new Sierra guitars built by my great friend Ross Shafer!

Can't wait!

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2018 8:44 pm    

On your RKR you could add the 9th string half tone lower. That gives you some nice subtle things on the lower end of the tuning.

On the same lever you could slightly lower the first string as a tuning compensator. That makes the high F# more in tune when you are in an A&B pedals down position, which is when you would usually use the second string half tone lower.

I have all of the above on both my steels and it works well.

PS: Thanks for sub'ing for me with Locked N Loaded. They said you did a great job.

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2018 9:07 pm    

Yea I actually REMOVED that change from my steel.. i never really used the full drop on the 2nd and drop on the 9th but i might reconsider as Ross's steels play so easy and light...

hmmm.. but the compensator on the 1st string.. interesting... I've never really tweaked on that F# being out of tune with the HIGH F# but the Low one I always have a compensator for the AB position.. that one makes me CRAZY in between those two positions like I was talking about above.

Cool.. yea.. it was funny on that gig.. i had about 1.5 hours to learn those tunes as it was super last minute.. when I had the conversation I think he might have said "we do the classics" and I turned that into my head as "Classic country"

Ha!!

Nope... damn.. I was sweating a bit as I hadn't even HEARD about 60% of those tunes much less played them.. I really am not familiar with that modern stuff... but it was a fun jam and those guys are a great hang! They helped me out a bunch during the set and it went off fine... hopefully I held up your chair good enough for 2 sets!

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2018 9:11 pm    

Oh.. 9th string HALF step... i just read that again...

the normal one is a full step right? The 2nd string with a feel stop for the half step.. then past that it does full step and the 9th goes down a full..

I've had multiple steels with that and never used it so i just took it off... like I said I'm more into "do more with less and think more about the bar and playing than a bunch of pedals and levers" (not that that is RIGHT.. just how I approach it)

but a half step lower to the C# on the 9th string.. I'd have to think how to use that... too tired right now.. hmm...theres obviously lots of C#s on the A pedal but having another... but hmmmm...

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2018 9:12 pm    

One thing I'd say is that I've always had trouble getting both the AF and the F to both be in tune...

They are always squirrley and I've thought about whether a compensator might help...

I often feel that I can either get the AF or the BC or the F in tune.. but not all three..

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2018 9:14 pm    

The other consideration is that like a lot of you I often end up playing the blues scale or playing some rock and roll throughout the night...

Also faking the C6 neck..

I haven't really sat down and thought about a copedent, maybe on the 0 pedal, that would put me into a good place for either of those... hmmm....

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2018 10:29 pm    

Here's what I recommend for you, Josh:
Tab:
      LKL  LKV  LKR   P1   P2   P3   P4   RKL  RKR
F#                                         G
D#                                   C#    E    D
G#                         A
E      F        D#              F#
B          A#         C#        C#
G#                         A               F#
F#
E      F        D#
D                                    C#           
B                     C#                        A

This is an extension of what you have. I assume that you don't like the standard half-stop lever, so I put those C# notes on P4. I have that as P0 on my Carter. Either position works well.

The A# on LKV splits with P1 to turn A+B into a minor chord (C note). P2 and RKL is the other common split (G note).

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2018 10:34 pm    

Yes, you have a C# on the tenth string with the A pedal, but the A pedal also raises the 5th string to C#. If you lower the 9th to C# with a lever you still have a B on the 5th string. That's where the interesting things start happening.

The other compensator I would really like to have is to slightly raise the sixth string when the A pedal is engaged. Raise it just enough to compensate for the cabinet drop caused by the A pedal, so the sixth string isn't so noticeably flat. I've tried this on three different steels and I always encounter the same problem. When you engage the A&B pedals, and then come off the B pedal while still holding the A pedal, the sixth string is out of tune, it stays sharp as I recall. I've taken that compensator off all my steels due to this issue. Someone else recently described the exact same problem. Maybe Ross Shafer can solve it.

I like Bob's suggested copedent. I hate feel stops on the second string lower. I have one lever that lowers the second string to D (as described above), and on the other knee I have another lever that lowers the second string to C# (plus raises the seventh a half tone). I'm really enjoying what can be done with that set-up.

I noticed a Buddy Emmons tuning from 2000 something where he did the same thing regarding the second string lowers. Maybe the second string treatment with the feel stop that is so common should be re-evaluated.