The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Black Box with Evans amp
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2018 5:05 am    

Will the variable Z on a black box tame the highs on an Evans amp? I have an Evans amp that I have just had a few weeks. The first gig I used it on was outdoors and it sounded wonderful. It sounds great at home. Saturday night, at an indoor gig, the highs were off the map. I moved my speaker cabinet to the floor,which helped,but still too high. I ditched it and used my Katana backup. If I would have had some other cords besides the George L's, that might have helped. I really don't want to buy an equalizer.

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2018 5:29 am    

Yes it can control the highs.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2018 5:37 am     Black Box with Evans amp

Thanks Ken. I had a Black Box once, but never had any need to control highs.

John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2018 10:51 am    

George I don’t know which model of Evans you have, but Evans Co. suggests running the treble under 2. If that’s still too much, try running the body jump higher, it should tame th3 highs. And yes, the BB should also tame the highs a bit.

Mike Kowalik

San Antonio,Texas
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2018 10:58 am     Evans amp....

I've had small and large cab FET 500's that had a lot of high end.....switching out the stock speakers for a 1502 Black Widow made those amps sound great.

Kevin Quick

Sacramento, Calif
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2018 11:01 am    

When I played through an Evans GET 500 my treble setting was never above 1 1/2. The black box w/ vari z control acts like a tone control so you can cut the highs with it

Bill Moran

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2018 6:02 pm    

When you learn the Evans EQ there will be no need.

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2018 11:34 am    

The Evans EQ really does need modding to be practical. It was shared years ago that the mentality behind the extreme amounts of treble available above 1 on the dial were that way because many guitars used to have tone controls that could address the highs. John Hughey once told me that he couldn't use the treble knob set above 1 (out of 10), somewhere around .6 to .8 (below 1) was the sweet spot. He had me do a mod that changed out the treble pot and added a resistor. This mod expanded the usable treble range (from zero to 2) so that you could turn the knob thru its entire rotation to cover this usable treble range.

The Black Box will surely sweeten and smooth the quality of the treble and it will also help tame the mid-treble pickup peak, but it won't completely address this Evans treble issue. The Evans has the good tone, but it's just really hard to dial it in because that little zone below 1 and above .5 is very fiddly and tricky to nail.

B

Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2018 12:52 pm    

My Evans is a 97 model. In addition to using a Black Box, which is great, I swapped out the speaker for one recommended by Scot Buffington. He was very helpful by phone when I called after buying a used amp.

I've had the same experience with Brad Sarno, by the way. Their products are top notch and so are they.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2018 3:03 pm     Black Box with Evans amp

I am not a newbie to an Evans amp. I had an FET 500 for 20 years. Saturday night was a treble night and I don't really know why. There was a folded curtain covering the side of the stage and the back wall was paneling. My amp was at a 45 degree angle very close to the curtain. The floor was an indoor/outdoor carpet. When I took the amp off the stand and placed it on the floor, it helped a lot, but not enough. I culled it and replaced it with my Katana head. Even it was over the top. I had to cut all the treble and mid's completely off.

I am not giving up on the Evans because I know what it is capable of. It is hard to get the clarity with any other amp. It smoked the week before on an outdoor gig. Below is a photo of the settings I was using.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2018 3:09 pm    

Two things really helped with my 1985 Evans FET-500LV:

SICA Speaker
Sarno FreeLoader

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2018 5:43 am     Re: Black Box with Evans amp

George Kimery wrote:
... Saturday night was a treble night and I don't really know why...

George, it almost sounds like something happened upstream in your rig setup, possibly a faulty/iffy plug, connection, cable, solder joint, something that made things go very high-z and resulted in excessive treble.

Brad

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2018 6:06 am     Black Box with Evans amp

Brad, I don't think it was anything on my end because my Katana had the same problem and a month before, so did my Stereo Steel. Please check your PM and thanks for your help.