The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bars, seats and accessories
Charley Paul

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2018 7:36 pm    

Is there an online location that sells good quality psg accessories? I already have a great amp (66 Pro Reverb) and Volume Pedal (Lehle). I am buying my first steel and would like to buy a few bars, picks, and a seat that can double as a case for accessories....

Recommendation for a few bars to try?

How about a seat?

Where should I buy these online?

Thanks!

Cameron Fulp

Lindale Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2018 8:03 pm    

I would highly recommend getting a BJS steel guitar bar, they are the best in my opinion. I have gotten great tone out of it, and been extremely satisfied, they are super quality.

I would also look into a “steelers choice or steel guitar seat” Steelers choice built me a beautiful seat and it only took about 3 weeks for them to custom make it for me. As far as other accessories you may check out Jeffran , Jeff Newman’s website. I know the BJS site sells picks and I think maybe pouches . All of these I mentioned have websites , just google it .

Hope this helps

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2018 8:06 pm     The Bar.

Get a BJS bar from Butch Gardener in Tennessee. I have a two of his bars ( a 15/16’s and a 7/8’s) they are fine bars, slicker than snot and hard to beat. Someone here on The Forum always has a good used seat for sale, unless you prefer new, then contact Joe Naylor or Dan Rollans. As for picks, it’s what ever works for you, I like Golden Gate thumbpicks, and I use custom silver fingerpicks made by Doyle Mitchell down in Texas.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2018 8:18 pm    

Jim Burden builds nice tone bars. He can also custom build about anything you want and his prices are very reasonable. www.bulletbars.com

FYI, the LINKS button at the top of the page has listings of product builders and vendors etc. Might browse through those.

Show Pro steel guitars has a nice selection of products and accessories. So does the SteelGuitarShopper here, Billy Cooper, Steelers Choice Seats, SteelSeats etc.

Happy hunting and picking.

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2018 12:36 am    

I have a BJS and a Bullet bar - like them both. Bullets are less expensive. I like the Golden Gate small thumb pic (It sits where I want a pic to sit on my thumb). You may alkso like to try Hoffmeyer finger pics - they're expensive but again, I like them. Also, you may want to click the link above for the Steel Guitar Forum store, and browse through there - click "accessories" above.

Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2018 7:38 am    

Once you use a BJS bar you never go back.

A Steelers Choice seat is great.

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2018 8:34 am    

You can get a lot of your Steel Guitar Accessory Needs and support the Forum at the same time. To get started, just click the Accessories Link at the top of any Forum Page.

Have a Good Trip! Cool

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2018 4:59 pm    

BJS Bar, National thumb pick, JF finger picks and a Walker seat with a back rest.

Charley Paul

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2018 1:35 pm    

Thanks for the suggestions!

I ordered a 7/8 BJS Bar, and some strings. My biggest question left has to do with volume pedals and tuners....

I have a Lehle Mono Volune, and I LOVE it. However, it has the feet removed, and dual lock applied for pedalboard mounting. I’m realizing that I will probably not be able to fit a pedalboard under my incoming first psg. Therefore, I am considering a 2nd volume pedal specifically for pedal steel. Do you suggest another Lehle, a Hilton or something else? I really love the buffer in the Lehle.....I’m not much for passive volume pedals with my 6 strings. What say you?

Also....electronic tuner. I have plenty, but they are pedalboard mounted. I like the idea of a Peterson with an e9 Tuning programmed in. I like the portable hd
Model, but would prefer something I can mount on a pedalboard. Any suggestions?

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2018 2:53 pm    

I have a Boss digital chromatic tuner and it does just fine. But, I'm not a stickler for exact tuning to the cents, and all that. My ear helps me adjust. Maybe I'll get more anal about it as I develop.

I use a Hilton and like it very much. I'm told that an old timey pot pedal will give you a more classic sound.

Ed Boyd

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2018 3:30 pm    

I've always a 7/8" Dunlop bar. It was my first bar and I never thought to change. What would the difference be in a pricer bar like a BJS?

Thanks.

I really like Peterson tuners. I still use the older Strobostomp 2 pedals. I have them on my steel and my guitar pedalboards.

ProPik fingerpicks are the most comfortable picks I have used on steel.
Fender Telecaster Guitars

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2018 3:57 pm    

Ed Boyd wrote:
I've always a 7/8" Dunlop bar. It was my first bar and I never thought to change. What would the difference be in a pricer bar like a BJ?

The best way I can describe the difference is that a Dunlop bar works just fine...a BJS does that same job with better tone and feel. The surface of the BJS is WAY more polished. That equates with less friction. Easier to use, less bar noise and better tone, which means: you like what you sound like and therefore play a little better. That has been my experience with BJS. Others are good, too, so I hear. I use BJS.
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Ed Boyd

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2018 4:08 pm    

Thanks. I've been a good boy lately. I may get one. Is there an advantage to moving up to a bigger diameter?
Fender Telecaster Guitars

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2018 5:22 pm    

Maybe.

As a new player, I would use an "industry standard" until you think a bigger, or smaller, bar makes sense. I've used a BJS 12-string bar for years...and just now came to the conclusion I need a bar that weighs 1-2oz less. So, I'm buying a new bar. A BJS of course. Just my opinion. Good questions, keep asking!
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2018 6:06 pm    

Volume pedal, Goodrich H10K or a 120 (pot pedal) or a Hilton. I use a Peterson Stroboplus HD. Tuner. I like the H10K because the pot lasts way longer than a 120. My H10K lasted 10 years before it started getting scratchy. Just replaced it a couple months ago.

Norbert Dengler

germany
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2018 10:08 am    

as for volume pedals, the lehle is as good as it gets, many say its the best pedal at all. try to find a solution to use it with you guitar.

Mikhail Bobrov

Russia
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2018 3:31 am    

Take a look at Ezzee~slide bars by Basil Henriques. You'll not be disappointed (the only thing to avoid with Ezzee~slides is TOO heavy/brutal bar-bouncing, since they are made of polymer). . . BJS is a great choice too, though. I have them both (so direct comparison is possible).

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2018 2:57 am    

Ed Boyd wrote:
Thanks. I've been a good boy lately. I may get one. Is there an advantage to moving up to a bigger diameter?

A bigger diameter will be heavier...you don’t have to press the bar down so hard, however, heavier equals harder to pick up off the strings.
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Charley Paul

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2018 10:34 am    

Thanks so much for all the responses.

Just ordered a Steelers Choice Easy Rider yesterday! Can’t wait to get it!

I bought a BJS 7/8 bar. I really like it and will probably get another to keep in the seat too.

Been using my Dunlop banjo finger picks, as well as a Golden Gate thumb pick. I have plenty since I am also a banjo player....

Tried the Lehle, and loved it with psg. However, I removed the feet and applied dual lock to mount on my guitar pedalboard. Unfortunately, it moves around a lot under the steel. So, I tried my Mission Passive Volume pedal, and quite like it as well.

I also bought a Stroboplus HD and leg mount. It has helped quite a bit with tuning. The sweetened presets are great. I also went and used a paint pen to color the ends of the nylon nuts for the pedals. This was extremely helpful in making tuning a fairly quick process. Not sure if anybody else does this? I only colored the nylon nuts for the pedals so that I could differentiate between them and the ones that tune the levers in the dark...

I also sent an inquiry to Brad Sarno about getting a Freeloader. I like that it runs off 9v battery, and clips to the leg. I’m feeling that having the Freeloader and StroboPlus clipped to the leg, and a passive volume pedal on the floor make for a clean setup, with no rats nest of cables, and no pedalboard to carry as well. Everything, including spare chargers, batteries, strings, tools, etc should fit in the seat.

Playing it all through my 66 Pro Reverb, and it sounds glorious!