The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  String 7 raise applications on E9?
John Orr

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2018 6:11 am    

What are the applications of the F# raise at String 7 on the E9 neck?

Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2018 6:24 am    

Raising the 7th string F# to G gives you a 7th chord with the A&B pedals down. This is one good use.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2018 6:25 am    

I've got a few here:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Tab/E9%201st%202nd%20%207th%20String%20Raise%20Tab.html

The last one marked tab 957 starts out with a changed that Bobbe Seymour used a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2018 6:36 am    

Oops... Wrong change.. Eyes must be getting bad

Last edited by Tom Gorr on 20 Oct 2018 5:24 pm; edited 2 times in total

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2018 6:44 am    

If strings 865 are an open G at fret 3, strings 875 with the F# to G engaged is a G minor.
Very handy for changing any open chord to a minor cord.

As mentioned, With AB down, you change the AB down chord to a 7th chord when you add the F# to G.

You can work it into some nice ascending/descending half-step passing notes between the E, F#, and G#, strings.

I mainly use the F# to G on string 7 when I am doing Travis/Atkins style picking on the lower end of the tuning, to go in/out of 7th chords and passing tones.
The song Lookin Out My Backdoor by CCR comes to mind.

If you have it on the high F# string it also makes some nice ascending/descending E9th half-step passing notes between the high E, F#, and G#, strings when using E to F# on the C pedal, F# to G, and G# to A.

The song Lonesome LA Cowboy is a good example of using the high F# to G.
You can do the same licks on strings 678.
You can hear the high F# to G in the intro, the solo, and sprinkled throughout the song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuQIuUVZr-8

John Orr

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2018 5:17 am    

Thank you Greg. Can’t seem to play it on my I pad, but wil give it a try on my windows laptop.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2018 6:02 am    

I was told Buddy Charleton called that his Ernest Tubb lever.

His strings 8, 7 raising 1/2 tone, 6, 4 and you have the Ernest Tubb lick.

There are others, as mentioned.

I've had that change ever since I got my Franklin new 36 years ago. I have it on the RKR that also lowers 2nd string and 9th string.

Dylan Schorer

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2018 10:32 am    

Curious how many people prefer to raise the 7th string F# a 1/2 step to G vs a whole-step to G#.

I've tried both and haven't settled on a strong preference. I currently have it raising F#-G# for unison licks, and don't find it too difficult to hit a G, even without a half-stop. Though, I just use the G for a bluesy b7th in the pedals-down position, and slurring into the b7 or pushing a little sharp just seems to add to the bluesy feel, so I can get away without the half-stop. Though, it may be useful with a half-stop or set it to hard G natural if I wanted to use it in more chord voicings.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2018 9:09 am    

I've used the F# to G since I first started. I tried the 7th to G# a couple different times, but always go back to raising only to G. I did that change on a vertical, so only hitting the lever only far enough to hit that G to be very unreliable in the heat of the battle. On a right or left moving lever it's a little easier. I do it on my Mullen SD12, 3x4. I hit the G on string 1 by hitting RKL that raises 1 to G# only half way.

Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2018 9:53 am    

I think raising 7 by half steps to G and G# gives you more combinations than lowering 6. I also like it better on a P/P as you don't need to leave so much slack on the B pedal.