The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel like SP-1 but shorter?
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2018 8:38 pm    

Always something isn't there? I have recently acquired a Shubb SP-1 steel. I really like the rounded nose and the feel of this bar but it's just too long for my hand for playing 6 string resonator guitar.

I know there's the shorter SP-2, but IIRC from one I once owned, the shape is somewhat different.

I've looked at the various online stores, Elderly, Beard etc. and I'm not seeing one exactly like the SP-1 but in a shorter length. 3" is just too long. Maybe 2 3/4 or perhaps even 5/8 or ll/16...or about the length of the old Stevens.

Any suggestions?

David Knutson

Cowichan Valley, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2018 8:53 pm    

I have never seen another bar with a round nose quite like the SP1. It's what I use for all my steels and resos - six or eight stringers. I guess my hand just got used to it when I first switched from Stevens, but I do recall it felt too long at first. Maybe time will tell for you.

JB Bobbitt

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2018 8:59 pm    

My Shubb SP2 is 3" long, tip-to-tip on the string side. 2-5/8" on the grip.

Did you know about the tiny bead on the bottom of the sharp edge tip?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2018 8:12 am    

I owned an SP-2 for a short time, but can't recall much about it. What is the bead you are referencing John?

I haven't found anything like the SP-1 except shorter. I guess I could whack ½ in. or so off the square end of it....stainless steel is tough though, so maybe not.

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2018 8:44 am    

Jerry, like lots of us I have lots of bars and in this case I have both of these. I like the SP-1 on my 400 8-string and the SP-2 for 6-string. The SP-2 has a shorter nose with less of a bullet feel. Mine does not have any beads on it.

Don´t just whack off your bar there. If it´s one of the new stainless ones, post-2012, take it to a Machine Shop and have them cut it to length, round the new sharp edges and give it an overall polish. If you know a musician with a Machinist Day Job, s/he would probably do it for free in ten minutes. Or maybe you´ve got the tools and skills for it. I´m not sure that it would be a good idea on a Plated Brass Bar.

I´m also sending you a PM on related subject. Good Luck with this one! Cool

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2018 9:02 am    

Thanks Michael. I don't know what era it is from. It just has the shubb pearse name stamped into the butt end, and no markings on the grooves. It could be plated brass.

I'll reply to your PM shortly.

David Venzke

SE Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2018 2:26 pm    

Or, take an old Stevens bar and do this:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=179531

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2018 3:39 pm    

Yeah, I'm not shy about modding stuff. I did that to my Stevens 20 yrs. ago. Still use it sometimes but it's a little wider than the SP-1 and it doesn't have the shape and extension on the nose. There might be some other ideas in the link though. Thanks.

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2018 1:41 pm    

I've always liked the BJS Jerry Byrd Bars, but recently, thanks to David Phillips, I'm using a Dunlop 918 Tone bar (designed by Jerry), which measures 3/4" X 2 15/16" . A great bar for slants.

David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2018 5:25 am    

Years ago, I took a SP-1 to a machinist and had him cut a a bit off. It was chromed brass. I quickly moved over to a Brozman bar which is close to JB specs. If I needed a new bar today, I'd get a Dunlop or BJS.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2018 6:47 am    

The JB and BJS are round bullet style bars. I have plenty of bars like those. I also have a Chase tapered bullet I use sometimes.

I'm interested in the grooved bars made like the SP-1, but shorter, for reso playing.