The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Just Started Up Again After a Layoff.....Here's Some Advice:
Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2018 7:29 pm    

DO NOT STOP PLAYING!!! Even a few minutes a week, to keep your muscle memory alive.

Cripes.

I had a very busy summer, playing guitar (and some bass) for a bunch of new acts, learning tons of new material, so my PSG playing got put to the side for a few months. When last I was playing it, I had made pretty good progress, and actually felt I was getting somewhere. Didn't even embarrass myself (much) on some gigs.

Now?

I just sat down to show a non-musician friend what the steel does and sounds like, and it was brutal. Feels like it's gonna be months again before I'm back to where I was. The picks feel totally foreign and clunky again, and I'm having to THINK about what pedal and lever does what......which is the kiss of death. Frustrating!

I play guitar for a living, so I rarely go too long without touching it, but I've gone YEARS away from bass or mandolin, and been able to get back up to speed pretty quickly.

This contraption is a whole 'nother, more demanding beast.

::sigh::

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2018 8:22 am    

I have been playing psg a couple of years, but 6-string guitar for around 50. If I go several weeks without touching the guitar, it all comes back after a 5 minute warmup. If I go more than a couple days without practicing the steel, it’s takes an hour of basics to get back in any kind of playing shape.

I think psg probably is just like any other instrument, in that it matters how long you have been playing and how deep that muscle memory is. If you give it due diligence, you might be surprised at your recovery time on steel.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2018 8:24 am    

Back when I was playing a T-8 Stringmaster I didn't have room to keep it set up so I packed it away.
It remained in the case for quite a while and when I finally set it up and tried playing, it scared me all that I had forgotten! I made sure that never happened again! Very Happy
Erv