The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  PSG top eight on a Lap-Steel?
Tony Boadle

Skibbereen, County Cork, Ireland
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2018 1:14 pm    

Before I finally said goodbye to my eight string PSG (to focus on my Lap-Steel), I found myself enjoying the PSG top eight tuning without going near the pedals.
I have an eight string Morrell, and a spare E9th set of strings...so I'm planning to string and tune that way.
Now I'm looking on the Forum and it looks like I'll be in a very small minority .
How come?
If it's a good tuning WITH pedals, why not WITHOUT?
Please keep any replies simple, and type slowly, as I'm mainly a b***o picker.

James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2018 1:29 pm    

Hello Tony,

I use E7th which is not too far from your plan. I too have a Pedal Steel, I got tired of the same old 2 Pedal roll, put it in its case 8 years ago and never looked back. The tunings you use are a personal thing, I use several according to my needs and if the usual crew chime in here with all the technical stuff you will get lots of variations but no demo to go with them, so here is a demo of my E7th Tuning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f8txnTMp8g

James.

Tom Cooper

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2018 1:59 pm     E9

Actually Mike Neer and Doug Beaumier have done outstanding stuff on here on E9 lap steel. I want to get into it too. I am currently an E13/9 10 string player but I see great potential on E9. I particularly like the spacing of the 3rds and 6ths on it. E13 is so much wider. I am going to use E9 as a secondary tuning for one of my other steels. Doing gigs with E13 now. Don't know if will ever replace it but E9 is on my radar for progressive type tunings. I say go for it.

Tony Boadle

Post  Posted 20 Oct 2018 2:24 pm    

From Scotland to Florida! Thanks for the replies and the reminder of the global span of the SGF!
I actually already play E7th on my reso (using a Multibender on 2 and 3 for THAT roll). The main reason for the E9th option on the Morrell is those weird PSG strings 1+2. I recall my first foray into PSG, I actually thought I was mis-reading the page, the first and second strings made no sense. Then gradually I came to appreciate the reasoning behind the tuning, and eventually found it so useful that I really miss it with E7th.

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 20 Oct 2018 2:30 pm    

https://vimeo.com/150540696

James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2018 2:45 pm    

Cartwright Thompson wrote:
https://vimeo.com/150540696

Hello Cartwright, that example of Jerry Byrd comes from a time when he was trying to keep up with the Pedal Steel players stealing (pun intended) all his Nashville work.

I can never see the sense in trying to emulate the Pedal steel when you can just use that Instrument if that is the sound you are looking for, nor can I see the sense in spending all your playing life trying to play note for note, a piece played by someone else and probably thousands of others.

But that is just me.
JK.

Tom Cooper

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2018 7:20 pm     E9

I actually forgot about the chromatic strings. I was referring to some E9 lap tunings that have been used before. Don’t know if anyone has done what you are thinking. Could be really cool!

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 22 Oct 2018 12:37 pm    

James, I was just posting that link to show the OP what can be done with the E9 tuning and no pedals. We all know that that record was Jerry taking a shot at the Nashville pedal steel establishment, but there are some great tunes on that recording.
I’m not sure what you’re talking about regarding “spending all your playing life trying to play note for note, a piece played by someone else and probably thousands of others” .

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2018 5:11 pm    

I use D-E-G#-B-C#-E-G#-F#, low to high, on my 8 string E neck. I find it to be very similar to my E9 Nashville in that I have the same feel on the high end scales, and if I consider which string is the "root" I have the same pockets for pedals up and pedals down playing. Third and tenth frets are still G. My E13 opinion only.
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Last edited by Rick Abbott on 23 Oct 2018 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Greg Gefell

Upstate NY
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2018 3:29 pm    

If you get good at the skip grips there is definitely music to be had in the top 8 of E9 no pedals, especially 2 note harmony runs. The entire harmonized major scale can be found within a 2 fret span.

The problem with E9 no pedals is the minor chords. Because there is no C# (or 6th tone) you have to rely on the 2,3,5 and 2,5,6 grips for full minors. I tried playing with this for a while but ultimately found that in a real world playing situation the inversions for those minor chords are just not as user friendly and easy to get to as they are on any 6th type tuning.

Having the 6 minor at the root position and the 2 minor at the 4 chord position is very logical and follows the common song structures you're likely to encounter. (if we're talking country, pop, etc.)

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2018 3:52 pm    

Greg explained the exact reason I use the tuning I described. That C# is the entire deal...but must be avoided when not needed.
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Thiel Hatt

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2018 6:54 am    

I have a triple neck console but it is a nine stringer. I have an E13th tuning on the center neck which has worked well for my style and taste. From low to high it is D-E-G#-B-C#-E-G#-D#-F#....The bottom neck is C6th and outsie neck is A6th, Then on a 9 string lap steel I have C Diotonic

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2018 5:49 pm    

Tony, have you tried this yet? I would be interested in hearing what you think of it. I am about to try something similar but I will omit the 7th and 10th strings from the usual 10-string E9 tuning. That gives a strummable E7 chord on the bottom 6 strings:

L2H: D E G# B E G# D# F#

I am putting this on my Fender 400 so I will have some pedals similar to the standard pulls but still different and in my case no knee levers.

Good Topic! Some good stuff above. Please keep us posted. Cool

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2018 7:33 pm    

Reece Anderson was a full-tilt MONSTER on his 12-string C6th tuning, and his top two were chromies... top five strings:

1)D
2)B
3)G
4)E
5)C

Fun with Strings!:
https://b0b.com/tunings/MauriceAnderson.html#C6thLap

So it's kinda there, floating in the firmament. You won't be hunted down and penalized by the Correct Police. Another monster Seasicker X 10, Billy Robinson, foregoes the bottom C to get just the D up there. Seems to work O.K.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl7DNHPMH0g

Tony Boadle

Post  Posted 27 Oct 2018 1:20 am    

I found this Roy Thomson tuning in a similar thread from 2014....lo-hi E G# B C# E G# D# F#
For me, it seems to be the perfect combination of E9TH from my ex-psg, E6 from my Multibender reso, and even C6 from my six-string lap-Steel.
I'm loving it, and looking forward to a weekend of home picking while I get used to my Eureka moment!
Thanks to all for the input and advice, once again the SGF saves the day.

Roy Thomson

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2018 4:34 am    

Thanks Tony. That's the tuning and I spent a lot of time with it. I have a collection of Country arrangements using it which also contains basic approach and instruction. CD and Tab. Here is one of the songs:

https://picosong.com/wVEew