The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Advice on Using Naptha to Clean Changers
Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2018 3:19 pm    

Hey Guys,

Just got a new steel and want to clean the changer and re-lube it. I got the naptha (yellow bottle of lighter fluid) and Tri-Flow needle nose applicator for the lube.

Question: How much naptha do you use to flush the changer? Do I use a LOT and just pour it on or do I just pull out the needle attached to the yellow bottle and use a reasonable amount without getting too carried away?

My plan is to flush from the top of the changer and let it soak in toward the bottom of the mechanism, working the pedals and levers to make sure it gets to where it needs to go.

I've heard it's better to take the legs and pedal bar off first, but don't know if I will follow that advise or not. I will cover up the fretboard and also drape off the wood lacquer to prevent any fluid from getting on the guitar (although I've heard it's safe for lacquer guitars). I just don't want to chance it.

Any other advice is helpful and appreciated.

Thanks,

Don

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2018 6:58 pm    

For a quick flush, I've used a spray bottle... mist it good, let it sit, use compressed air to flush out the gunk, repeat as necessary. Lots of rags on the floor! Smile Then a judicious amount of tri flow.

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2018 4:52 am     Flushing Changer

Dave,

Will a can of compressed air work out OK? I don't have a compressor with air hose. Maybe I can borrow or rent one, but if not, will canned air work?

Thanks,

Don

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2018 7:46 am    

I do that to remove the gunk that the solvent loosens. You COULD just flush it out with more solvent and a brush . I just use the air to help move things along. I'm sure that canned air would do it. Other sources of air would be an air bed inflator, motorcycle dryer, leaf blower, watermelon tank... I'm sure it'll be better when you're done! Hope this helps.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2018 8:25 am    

Compressed air: You could take it to a gas station with an air pump. FWIW, there may be a little bit of water in the lines. Shouldn't be too bad, though.

Remove the legs, pedal bar, etc.
Set the body on some blankets on the tailgate of your pickup and have at it.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2018 2:49 pm     Re: Advice on Using Naptha to Clean Changers

Don Mogle wrote:

Question: How much naptha do you use to flush the changer? Do I use a LOT and just pour it on or do I just pull out the needle attached to the yellow bottle and use a reasonable amount without getting too carried away?

My plan is to flush from the top of the changer and let it soak in toward the bottom of the mechanism, working the pedals and levers to make sure it gets to where it needs to go.

...advice is helpful and appreciated.

As long as the guitar is operating properly, just oil it and play it. "Flushing" will likely drive some dirt deeper into the changer (between the fingers and the axle). Oh sure, it'll look nice and shiny...on the outside> But that stuff you've washed into the changer will cause you real grief down the road.

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2018 6:40 pm     Naptha

Donny,

In a previous post, one of our Forum members stated it's not good to mix oil with the Tri-Flow--really gums up the mechanism. For this reason, I was thinking of dowsing it with Naptha first to clean it all out and then apply the Tri-Flow.

The guitar is new to me and I don't know what the previous owners used. The last owner used compressed air to blow it out. He said it was pretty clean...not a lot of junk came out. However, I don't know what the guy before him used.

I think the naptha is a good solution for a fresh clean start for the changer. Afterwards, Tri-Flow only for the changer from now on.

On the other hand, I may continue stick to the light oil for the rest of the guitar--nut, pedal bar, cross shafts, etc. I have the Mullen oil in the needle-nose bottle for these areas. I may as well use it up. I'll save the Tri-Flow for the changer. I really don't see any issues with this hybrid method of lubrication.

I know there are differing opinions on using light oils versus Tri-Flow. I also know you aren't a real big fan of Tri-Flow. I respect that. However, I'm gonna give it a shot and see. Besides that, I read that the Tri-Flow is based off a petroleum product, so it seems somewhat related to light oil with the benefit & luxury of Teflon. Finally, I got the stuff that's GOOD for steel guitar, not the dry Teflon product others have said stay clear of.

Donny: wouldn't oiling the guitar do the same thing as far as driving and/or carrying impurities into the changer? Oil or Naptha...is there that much difference? Likewise, wouldn't using compressed air do the same thing? Can you get around that situation short of a complete teardown of the changer? (Which is something I will leave to Ricky Davis when the time comes).

The guitar plays well as it is. But I want it to be all it can be. Routine maintenance should keep it playing smoothly for another four decades to come. I don't want to do any harm to the vintage aluminum fingers that might cause them to wear out prematurely. They don't make them anymore. OK...I'm rambling now.

Thanks to all of your who have replied. Greatly appreciated.

Don

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2018 6:11 am    

Just a note on naphtha.
It has been used for years in the regular guitar "family" for cleaning nitro-cellulous lacquer finishes. It dries very, very, very quickly...so you don't have much time for flushing/scrubbing hard to get tight surfaces. You might consider a solution that remains fluid for a longer period of time...thus having more time to loosen the "gunk".

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2018 4:45 pm     Changer Flush

Tom,

What solution are you thinking about and referring to that will stay longer than the naptha?

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2018 6:21 pm     Advice on using Naptha tp Clean Changers.

The longer a cleaner fluid stays the more unwanted oils itself it contains. Naptha is a good cleaner and evaporates quickly. Apply Naptha till it runs out of the changer clean onto a clean white cloth. Then blow the changer out with air. Make sure the changer is dry, Then apply the lube of your choice.
For the roller nut assembly, Take it apart, Keep the rollers in order, And polish the roller shaft with 0000 steel wool. My choice to lube the rollers with is Zebco Silicone Grease (Used in Fishing Reels). It handles the down pressure of the strings very well.
Good Luck on this project and back to Happy Steelin.