The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Beginners Notes #394-7th String Fill Idea
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2018 5:38 am    

Beginners Notes #394-7th String Fill Idea

G=7th string ½ tone raise
1___________________________________________________________________________________
2___________________________________________________________________________________
3___________________________________________________________________________________
4___________________________________________________________________________________
5__12__________________________________________________________________12___________
6_____12B____11B____________________________________________11B____12B______________
7________________11G____10________________________10____11G_________________________
8__________________________10____9________9____10___________________________________
9__________________________________9____9___________________________________________
10__________________________________________________________________________________

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2018 10:36 pm    

All of your Beginner’s Notes tabs are like little doorways into rooms full of ideas for making music on the pedal steel. Some, like this one and #393, challenge the beginner to go beyond the safe and familiar sounds, changer combinations, and bar movements we all gravitate toward. I have been playing some Latin music, and this run is exactly the kind of thing I am looking for when resolving V7 to I minor. I really appreciate it, Dick.

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2018 11:53 am     Thank you so much...

Fred, I appreciate so much the feed back. You've hit the nail one the head with the "Idea Generator" comment. It would be easy to tie this or any idea I put up, to some song or music, but that in my mind, would be limiting. I'm sure others think differently and their opinions fully I respect. Glad you enjoyed it. My best...

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2018 8:03 am    

Dick, what would suggest to do should the guitar does not have that have tone raise on the 7th string?

Tommy Shown

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2018 5:49 pm     Great question...

Thanks Tommy for asking. I don't lower the 6th string on a pedal or lever, but I guess you could do a quickly blocked 6th string lower to that note if you have that change. I know a lot of player lower their 6th, but for me, I like the 7th coming up and the ability to use it with the 6th string pedal. Wish I had a better answer, maybe someone else will chime in. Wait a second, I don't do it, but some might even grab the 7th string behind the bar and bend it up. May have been common before the mechanics of the instrument got better. Let me know if you try it...