The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1935 Rickenbacher B6. Three videos. Two Tone Bars
Kevin Glandon

New York, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2018 12:35 pm    

This is the first I've played any of my steels in many months. Just getting back into it. I'm using my favorite steel and my two favorite tone bars. One by Bill Groner. The Melotonen Bar. And one by Basil Henriquez of Ezzee-Slide Tone Bars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34qAPQSUr3E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL0Ne1J7TzM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IogGqrzMqo

Mikhail Bobrov

Russia
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2018 4:10 am    

+1 for Ezzee~Slides.

Mikhail Bobrov

Russia
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2018 4:13 am    

. . . Haven't tried Melotonen yet though Sad

Mike A Holland

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2018 3:23 am    

Kevin, the instrument sounds really lovely but it has to be said your playing, tone, phrasing, vibrato and touch sound great. Every time I hear you play something I want to reach out for the volume pedal. Great playing!
Mike

Steve Marinak

Man O War Cay, Abaco, Bahamas
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2018 5:43 am    

Kevin,
Great stuff! Love the volume pedal work on Aloha Oe'.
Do you have a preference in pedals? The one I have drops signal when I plug it in, and therefore have never used it much. After hearing you, I'd like to try it out again.

#2 question: any difference in feel or tone between the two tone bars?

Kevin Glandon

New York, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2018 2:28 pm     Mike Holland

Thank you Mike. Those were some very kind words. I really appreciate what you've said here. The reason I post my playing here and on Facebook, is that I've always been afraid to play for a live audience. Posting here is safe. When you and other fellow steelers say anything nice, it means a lot to me and helps my self esteem. I thank all of you.

Last edited by Kevin Glandon on 21 Oct 2018 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kevin Glandon

New York, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2018 2:51 pm     Steve Marinak

Thank you for the appreciation.
I use an old DeArmond Rowe model 602 volume pedal most of the time. It's simple and rugged. It uses gears not string to operate the volume pot. I also use a Goodrich model 120. The Goodrich is glass smooth under the foot unlike the DeArmond which offers more resistance, which I actually like. The Goodrich uses a string to control opening and closing the pot. It is built like a tank. Very high quality.
When you say your pedal drops signal....do you mean that wide open the volume is lower on your guitar than if you go directly into the amp from the guitar? If that is the case you may just need to adjust the threshold of the volume pot in the pedal. I'm sure there's info on doing that somewhere here in the Forum or on the web.
Ezzee-slide vs Groner Melotonen bars. They are both excellent. I've not noted any tonal difference between them. They do each feel a bit different though. They are both the same weight. The Ezzee-slide feels lighter somehow....don't know why. The Groner Melotonen feels more solid in the hand. It balances different. I like the solid feel. Plus the end cap is slightly recessed. I also like that to slip the pad of my thumb into when doing reverse slants. Back to the Ezzee-slide. It seems lighter and easier to flick about. This is all very very subjective of course. One day I prefer the feel of one over the other. I use the one that feels best that day!

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2018 4:04 pm     Re: Steve Marinak

Ezzee-slide vs Groner Melotonen bars. They are both excellent. I've not noted any tonal difference between them. They do each feel a bit different though. They are both the same weight. The Ezzee-slide feels lighter somehow....don't know why. The Groner Melotonen feels more solid in the hand. It balances different. I like the solid feel. Plus the end cap is slightly recessed. I also like that to slip the pad of my thumb into when doing reverse slants. Back to the Ezzee-slide. It seems lighter and easier to flick about. This is all very very subjective of course. One day I prefer the feel of one over the other. I use the one that feels best that day![/quote]

Will you be running for office in 2020? LOL That was a tough question to answer without offending anyone. You did as well on your answer as you did on your playing. Very Happy