The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Chicago Steeler Dan Behringer Sr.
Dan Behringer

Jerseyville, Illinois
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2018 11:39 am    

My dad, Dan Behringer Sr. passed away last night. In the early 1960’s he was considered by many as the best steel guitar player in the Chicago area. He was a part of the house band at Uncle Len’s in Gary, IN. where he often backed big name stars from Nashville. He played on several local radio and television shows and helped cut records with a few local performers.
The rest of the story…….
Those who know the history of the steel guitar understand the massive changes that happened to the instrument in the 1960’s. Dad didn’t keep up with those changes, probably due in part to a lack of funds, and a great deal of stubbornness, so his style of playing quickly became obsolete. Through the later 60’s he took playing jobs with amateurs where he could find them. Usually in local bars. When he lost his day job we moved down state Illinois where he found work in a factory near Alton, IL. He sold his pedal steel and didn’t play again for 30 years.
When he retired I managed to talk him into playing again, to give him something to do. We eventually found a cherry Sho Bud Professional and he used it for several years playing with friends in rural Illinois. I have that steel now and will probably put it up for sale in due time.
The guitar currently has a Chalker type set up, with the C6th on the front neck. The back neck is similar to what Ralph Mooney played. It has basically a straight E tuning with the high G# on the 1st string. It often amazed me how much music was in that tuning.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2018 12:18 pm    

Dan, my condolences to you and your family. You are lucky to have shared a love of steel guitar (and now a Sho~Bud) with him. A beautiful legacy. Peace.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2018 12:48 pm    

My condolences to you and your family, Dan.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2018 7:24 pm    

Godspeed Dan Sr.

Dan thanks for sharing and condolences.

Children of musicians are lucky to have had their inspiration be a parent.

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2018 8:10 pm    

Dan, you and your family have my deepest condolences. It sounds like your Dad had a great career early on. I'm glad to hear that he picked it up again later on in life.

Jerry Meek

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2018 5:43 pm     Danny B

You probably don't know me but I have known your dad since I was i the second grade in Belltown Il. I was in a jam session in White Hall after he retired with Charlie and Kenyon part of a band I played steel in many years ago I hadn't seen Dan for lot of years and he could still play a lot of that Mooney steel before that the last I saw him he was playing a double 9 string Sho Bud at that time I still owned an Emerald green D10 Pro 2 Show Bud that was Tommy Whites before I got it. I am sorry to hear about your dad he was a nice guy Charlie called me awhile back and told me the news may God bless him Jerry PS Charlie told you were going to mess with the Bud and you could play.

Dan Behringer

Jerseyville, Illinois
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2018 1:47 pm    

Hey Jerry, Thanks for the nice comments! I do remember your name mentioned is several conversations over the years, but I can’t say we ever met.
Dad was still hooked on that 9 string tuning and eventually removed the 10th string off his “E” neck.
It was a lot of work getting him to play again. So many things had to be just right. One day when he just started playing again, I stopped to see him and he was disgusted that he couldn’t play as fast as he used too. I talked him into finding ways to take notes out and slow down, and that people will still enjoy his playing even if he can’t play at warp speed any more. Thankfully he took that to heart and it worked out well.