The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic

How do you want me to let you know about new video's?
Each one separately
70%
 70%  [ 19 ]
As a group
29%
 29%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 27

Author Topic:  Question about my YouTube Video's
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2018 6:40 am    

Recently, I had someone comment to me that I was posting too many video's on the SGF and it would make other postings disappear off the front scroll page.

So my question to you is:

1. Am I posting too many video's?
2. Would you be just as happy if I put several links in one post instead of listing each one separately.
3. What if I just said, "Visit my YouTube page for new video's" whenever I upload something new?

I still have several thousand hours of video of the greats, many who are no longer with us.

I am 71 and the only way to preserve this and let it be seen is for me to stay busy digitizing these video's for you to see.

Oh, and one a video is digitized, I am destroying the original video tape. WHY? Because I promised all these players and Scotty that I would never let these tapes out of my possession.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2018 7:38 am    

Does this person not understand that every new post causes earlier posts to move down the page little by little?

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2018 8:39 am    

Hey Dick,
That was the complaint.

When I put up several video's in a short amount of time, the page flips.
I guess some people don't see the "next page" buttons at the bottom of the screen.

Thanks for your reply.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2018 8:49 am    

Notify us any way you like! Thanks for putting them up.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2018 9:19 am    

Ken Pippus wrote:
Notify us any way you like! Thanks for putting them up.

+1. I'm just happy to get them. Handle it most convenient way for you. These are precious golden moments that capture our heroes and would be lost forever if not for you.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2018 9:54 am    

I'm getting old and cranky Bill but I really appreciate being able to see the various shows I never got to see in person so thanks for making them available to us.

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2018 10:22 am    

No good deed goes unpunished. You have one of, if not the largest, collections of videos of the greatest players to ever play steel guitar. However is the most convenient way for you to share is the way you should go. Thanks for sharing and we all look forward to seeing more from you.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2018 10:35 am    

Bill - First, let me say that I think these videos are an important part of steel guitar history. So I'm very grateful that you're taking this kind of time to digitize and post these videos.

So although I think it's reasonable to take the comment seriously, I think, on balance, that there are a number of advantages to doing this the way you have been doing it. Admittedly, there are some advantages for each approach - posting each individually versus posting groups of videos - here's how I see the advantages of each and my reasoning:

A. Advantage: individual threads for each video or group of related videos
A1) Each thread/video gets a searchable title for that specific video, which makes it easier to search for in the future when they get buried in the forum threads. In addition, if you group a bunch of unrelated videos in a single thread, you can't tell what's in the thread from the title just looking at it.

A2) In addition to not being able to tell what's in the thread from the title, sometimes grouping lots of unrelated stuff in one thread makes it confusing even while reading the thread. Not everybody around here is computer-savvy, and I think it's easier if there's just one or a small group of related videos in a specific thread;

A3) Since you're gradually digitizing these, it will likely be a pain (for you) to constantly be editing a thread to add videos to it, and it will be difficult to make clear in the thread's title when you've added new material from the thread's title;

B. Advantage: grouping multiple, unrelated videos into a single thread
B1) It creates fewer threads - there is a certain amount of efficiency in having fewer threads, including not pushing other threads down/off the first page as often;

Honestly, that's about the only big advantage I can see to grouping multiple unrelated videos into a single thread.

Analysis of these points:
1. I think these videos are important enough that the ability to find, search, and then easily view them are important; I think all of A1, A2, and A3 go to these issues.

2. I think posting individually, as you have been doing, also makes it easier on you; I view you as the one performing the service here. A2 goes to this issue.

3. I think most people here post videos either individually or in small groups of related videos, and there are plenty of people here that post lots of videos. I don't think what you've done is different than many of them. I think this is beyond everything I stated earlier - but unless we want to start arguing that everyone should group their videos into a small group of threads, I don't think it's reasonable to ask you to also do this.

4. Eventually, every or almost every thread goes off the first page and into "the deep" of the forum. Anybody can easily bump their thread back up if they want to. Right now, on "Steel on the Web", it takes about 2 weeks for a thread to exit the first page, and if you look, there are typically around 2-3 weeks of posts on a page going back a while now. I don't think there's any big issue with you overcrowding this section.

My Conclusion:
I think you should do whatever you want - but I think there is a good counter-argument to the comment you got. In fact, I think the advantages to doing what you've been doing outweigh the (IMO) small disadvantage of creating more threads - threads hang on the first page plenty long now, and it's easy to bump back to the top.

Why Did I Bother To Make Such A Detailed Analysis?
Because I'm concerned that if someone doesn't, it could derail the good work you're doing here for the whole forum.

Andy Vance

Graham, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2018 11:28 am    

Bill,

I am in the separately camp and Dave said everything I could have said and more!

Andy

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2018 1:24 pm    

I want you to know that from my point of view the videos are greatly appreciated.

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2018 2:02 pm    

Keep them coming individually, Bill. I know how much time you put in to produce each one and they each deserve individual recognition. They're a great archive of steel guitar history especially for the younger folks and people who never had a chance to travel to St. Louis for the experience of the convention. Thank you again for all that you do.

Rob Segal

New York NY
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2018 11:40 am    

I think the individual threads are preferable. As individual threads they automatically become searchable. And as you post them, Bill, I am watching for them, and usually view quite quickly.

As others have said, these are crucial historical documents that we must save and circulate, if we are to continue to benefit from them.

And as I've said before, they are beyond precious, they are the greatest! I much prefer the long, live performances with the occasional error, and even with the audio quality sometimes not as good as could be; they are real.

Thank you Bill Ferguson, you are doing something great for steel guitar. You may not get sufficient acknowledgment, but you deserve it.

Rob

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2018 1:25 pm    

Thanks for the comments so far. So I'm curious as to how many of you actually subscribed to my YouTube channel and get a notification when I post a new video. I always tell YouTube to send notification but I have no way of knowing if it is actually done. So far as searching for videos, it is actually easier to do the search on my YouTube site then it is on the forum. You just go to my site and click on videos and there is my whole list of over 250 videos so far and they are searchable.

I sincerely agree that individual postings is the best way to go. And unless I get a lot of complaints I will continue on as I have. I have quite a few already digitized and already uploaded to YouTube but have held them as private. I will start releasing those promptly. Keep on watching Smile

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2018 2:22 pm    

Bill -

I like each performer's set by itself.

But what ever makes things easier on your end, I am all for.

You are doing The World a huge favor - forever.

Best regards
Ron

Nigel Mullen

Cassilis, New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2018 2:29 pm    

Bill: Whatever way is easier for you. These videos are fabulous and I get a ton of enjoyment watching and listening to them. Keep em coming. All the best. NM

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2018 3:38 pm    

The easiest is the way i have been doing it is the easiest. I guess i just don't want someone upset with me for flooding the page. Are y'all getting notification from YouTube when I post new videos?

Fyi i will be releasing about 5 tomorrow😀😀

Joe Cook

Lake Osoyoos, WA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2018 9:17 pm    

I really enjoy the videos Bill. I like to see them individually listed as you have been. The forum is much more interesting when people post things😏

Bill Lowe

Connecticut
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2018 5:17 am    

It sounds like you have tons of footage from many great steel guitar shows. I really enjoy these videos and its great that they will be saved forever. Due to the amount, is it possible to create a new category on the forum.? Not sure if Bob is up for that but it might be worth thinking about. Something like classic steel guitar shows? I think these are a little different from current videos in the web section now(which I also enjoy) and there is a great interest for these videos and the history. There could be a few moderators to decide which videos fit the criteria.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2018 5:24 am    

I don't know about a whole new category, but there is a link at the top of the "Steel On The Web" page.

It has a direct link to my YouTube page.

For now I will continue as I have in the past. Posting individually.

Heck, my video's get lost down the line also, so that is why you should visit and SUBSCRIBE to my YouTube Channel.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2018 5:38 am    

My vote is for individual postings. That way discussion of the video can be contained within the thread. Multiple links on the same thread can only confuse.

In any case, these videos are close to priceless and are among the most significant items that appear on the Forum.

Goodness knows that there's more than enough dross on here - mostly mine!