The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sweetheart of the Rodeo Concert
John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2018 11:05 pm    

We went to the 50th Anniversary of the Sweetheart of the Rodeo concert on Tuesday night in Albany,NY It was a fantastic concert. It brought back so many nostalgic memories for me. Roger McGuinn and Chris Hillman were outstanding in their performances as was Marty Stuart doing all of Clarence Whites B-bender licks. Kenny and Harry from Marty's band helped fill out the sound perfectly. But, the other great additive was Chris Scruggs. He played bass and acoustic guitar, but, he shined on playing his ShoBud LDG. He played a lot of Lloyds and JDs licks from the album. The overall sound was wonderful as were the harmonies. Chris started out a little apprehensive, but, when he got warmed up he was really on. It was a wonderful show. I'm so glad, that, I got to see it and hear it. If you get a chance to go, go and don't miss it if you're into that genre of music.
It was THE album that started me on my quest to figure out what that sound was!

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2018 1:44 pm    

good review John, going to see them on Sunday in NYC.

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

John De Maille

Post  Posted 21 Sep 2018 3:38 pm    

You'll love it, I'm sure.

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2018 11:43 am    

Hard to add to what John D summarized. Chris Hillman's vocals were absolutely amazing. And he is pushing 74 y.o. As John says, Chris Scruggs was on his game. A minor correction, Chris was playing a double neck Super Pro with a faded green finish with only the pedal rods for the E9 neck set up, which might have thrown John D off viewing from a distance. Don't know if it started out blue and faded to green as some of those old Buds tend to do or if it was originally pea soup green. Chris played thru a silver face master volume (post 1972) Fender Twin. The rest of the band pretty much played through Fender Deluxe Reverb amps. Vintage music played thru vintage style tube amps. Roger McGuinn played through his Rickenbacker 370 12 string electric.

There were a number of steel players and fans of the pedal steel in the audience. Kevin Maul, a great steel player from the Albany, NY area was there wearing this Sneeky Pete inspired pterodactyl t-shirt. Kevin told me he bought his Sho Bud (either a permanent or a fingertip model) from Chris Scruggs. As was the case with the original Sweethearts album, the steel guitar was right out front and played throughout the songs. Marty on Clarence White's b-bender played off Chris's steel licks and at one point stood beside Chris and after he finished his steel solo, Marty replicated the solo nearly note for note on Clarence's telecaster. It was amazing. The concert was performed in "The Egg" concert hall, which if it is not acoustically perfect, it is about as close as it gets to being so. What a venue. Great sound and right sized.

Something I also noticed. During the first set, which encompassed about 5 pre-Sweetheart Byrd songs, Chris Scruggs was wearing his white Superlative cowboy boots. During the break, he changed to a black pair of penny loafers for reasons many of us understand.

Great show and I got to visit with John and Darlene DeMaille during the break to boot! Craig and anyone else going tonight will not be disappointed. Clear your iPhone memory banks folks as you will no doubt want to be recording some of those songs! And bring your binoculars so you can see the licks up close. Below is a pic I took of the band after the break when they kicked into their Sweethearts of the Rodeo mode:

John De Maille

Post  Posted 23 Sep 2018 8:05 pm    

Good catch on the steel John. Couldn't exactly see from where I was. All I saw was the three pedals and a small logo on the front, which, I thought was LDG.
Great show though!

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2018 4:31 am    

Yep. With my old eyes, I always bring binoculars to shows these days, no matter how good my seats are John.

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2018 4:44 am    

I posted this picture in the event announcement section but will post it again here

John De Maille

Post  Posted 24 Sep 2018 6:35 am    

Thanks, Craig! These old eagle eyes ain't what they used to be.

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2018 7:36 am    

I'm sure you are seeing lots of eagles in upstate these days too.

Town Hall in New York is very small and intimate, has become my favorite venue these days.

I went up to take a few pics of Chris while he was tuning.

As I mentioned before, as an annoying Jersey guy, I asked him if he would sign my poster, and obliged and actually went offstage to get a pen, I was very impressed.

There was a lot of love in the room last night and having seen Marty and the Fabulous Superlatives many times, I hope the uniniated now will support them as the ones keeping the tradition going. Big props to Cousin Kenny, and Hansome Harry as well. They are the best live act and group out there today. Good call from Roger and Chris to partner with them.

If anyone is near new York tonight, go.

I wish they would do a live DVD of the shows and I asked Rogers wife if there were plans, but she said no. I suggested the Ryman shows, but she said it was too difficult. Maybe someone with more pull can pull it off, too good to not document a historic event.

Last edited by Craig Stock on 24 Sep 2018 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2018 8:19 am    

Here's a picture of McGuinn that I took in 1970.

I was so nervous that I didn't adjust the camera correctly.

Kenneth Kotsay

Davie/Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2018 11:18 am    

I recall your wife Darlene once performed "WE A'INT GOING NOWHERE" at Jabby"s with Mike Urisitte on steel, or was it you, too many beers ago!

I loved Jabby's pizza bar pies, tons of cheese.

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2018 7:40 am    

The Byrds added another show recently in New Brunswick, NJ (Oct 2Cool and I got tickets for $48, good seats too.

The show was so good I couldn't pass up seeing them again so close to where I live.

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2018 5:32 pm    

Good review, John.

Will Houston

Tempe, Az
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2018 6:03 pm    

I happened to come across a July show in LA on utube... wow wow wow !!!

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2018 8:54 pm    

Craig Stock wrote:
The Byrds added another show recently in New Brunswick, NJ (Oct 2Cool and I got tickets for $48, good seats too.

The show was so good I couldn't pass up seeing them again so close to where I live.

I was born in New Brunswick!

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2018 7:37 am    

caught the Ryman show in Nashville, what a night!

Clarence White's daughter Michelle and Roland White were both in attendance and received a shout out from the stage. same with Lloyd Green!

I bumped into Lloyd in the lobby on his way out... I told him he should have been up there picking on a song or 2, he said he would have if they'd asked. seemed a bit disappointed. they also played a 4-song Tom Petty tribute but failed to make any mention of Gene Clark.

minor quibbles. the show was magical, especially at the Ryman and Chris Scruggs did a great job on that old Sho-Bud! loved the conversational tone of the show with Hillman and McGuinn trading anecdotes about the album, Gram Parsons, and the influences that led up to the recording of a bona fide classic.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2018 11:11 am    

Not to take anything away from your report of a fine show Scott, but it's interesting that Lloyd was never asked. I wonder if Jay Dee was ever in a discussion of some kind?

One would think that with all the years of Chris, Jay Dee and Desert Rose, there would have been some conversation.

Nothing at all against Chris Scruggs, I'm a big Chris Scruggs fan.

But especially since Lloyd and Jay Dee recorded their 50 year anniversary tribute album, you'd think that having at least one of them onboard would have been on the table.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2018 5:26 pm    

Hey John, I heard you were there but we couldn’t find you! I’ll say “hi” now anyway. Yes it was a great show. They took those songs and ran with them. Stayed close to the original arrangements mostly,but expanded some things and made it very interesting, not simply nostalgic. Hillman is a better singer NOW than ever before, played bass on some Byrds classics to open and close the show, and some very tasty guitar as well.
And yes, I was like a 17-year-old kid again which is when I first heard that album in 1968. Here’s the shirt.

Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2018 10:09 am    

Cool shirt Kevin, were did you buy that shirt, or did you make it? Very nice!

K Maul

Post  Posted 16 Oct 2018 1:15 pm    

I found out through Facebook, I think, about a woman who was marketing shirts that we're Byrds/Parsons/Burrito related and bought it on line. Can't recall specifics. Some day l am going to add the actual rinestones.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2018 1:42 pm    

Thanks, Wonder how many people know the history behind it when you wear it?

K Maul

Post  Posted 17 Oct 2018 8:55 am    

I've always been big on esoteric in-jokes. Enough people got it. I was hoping that Hillman would see it and get a chuckle but he didn't.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2018 3:20 pm    

those shirts are sold by Peggy Hanson at cypresscowboy.com, here's a link: http://www.cypresscowboy.com/SneakyPete2.html

Mark-
it's possible that Lloyd and JayDee were asked to participate on the tour and just weren't up for all the travel, but I thought Lloyd would have been asked to play in Nashville, at least for a song or 2.

I realize they've been doing the show for awhile now and have a steady rhythm going. I'm sure it was a thrill for Chris to play those songs on that stage on that guitar.

it's a wonderful show, I was just a little surprised he wasn't asked to join in and apparently so was he.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2018 6:44 pm    

This sounds like a juxtaposition of the more common reality, where the guy who is actually the regular Steel Player in the band is mad because he never gets to play on any of the Studio Recordings.

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2018 1:58 pm    

Probably the travel was a turn off for Lloyd and Jay Dee, but not having Lloyd guest on a couple of numbers in Nashville is a shame.