The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pre EQ vs Post EQ
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2018 4:55 pm    

I am wondering what is the difference in the two above loops on a Nashville 112. What is the best way to run a delay and reverb pedal together?

Last edited by Paul King on 15 Oct 2018 2:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2018 6:41 pm    

Pre-EQ was intended for a passive pot volume pedal. It eliminates the "tone-suck" that so many complain about.

Post-EQ is intended for effect pedals.

Personally, I like the Post-EQ for pedals. I think they sound better than feeding them in the input of the amp.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2018 8:19 am    

I don't think those differences are cast in tone. I run my reverb pedal through my Pre-EQ loop. I tried it in my post eq, but every time I turned my NV400 amp, I would get a huge reverb "crash".

Peavey may have put pre eq loops for possible volume pedal use, but I think that the first thought was for use as a loop to run things prior to eq in the preamp stage. Other Peavey amps, as well as other brands, have pre-eq loops, and I don't really think they were put in for volume pedals.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2018 9:15 am    

For Peavey amps such as the NV112 in general, the pre-EQ is for "instrument level" (Low level) effects such as the typical stomp box. As noted a passive (pot) volume pedal could be run in the Pre EQ loop.

The Post EQ is for higher level/line level effects. Units such as the Lexicon reverbs (rack types) are line level devices and should be run in the Post EQ loop.

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2018 3:15 pm    

I use delay and a reverb pedal. Is it best through the Pre EQ loop?

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2018 5:12 pm    

Paul King wrote:
I use delay and a reverb pedal. Is it best through the Pre EQ loop?

That's what I do. Mine is just one pedal, Zoom MS 50G. Works great.

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2018 8:51 am    

Just to clear up a detail....Line level devices, like many rack devices, should be used with the "Pre-Amp Out" and "Power-Amp-In" connections on the back of the amp. They're specs are the best match for such units.

The front panel "Pre-EQ" and "Post-EQ" insert points are intended for low level devices like effect pedals. Use whichever you like...they're differences are very small.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2018 11:48 am    

NV112 Specs from the manual:

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2018 12:01 pm     Pre EQ/Post EQ/Power amp in/pre amp out

Mike Wheeler is correct. However, if these insert points are found to work best in certain applications, by all means use them in that manner.

However, the pre EQ send and return jacks were intended to be used as a passive volume pedal patch point. The post EQ send and return jacks are intended to be used for effects devices. The power amp in and preamp out jacks is a line level patch point and it can be used for other purposes.

James Flaherty

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2019 11:58 am    

What's a passive volume pedal? Are there other types? I have an old Goodrich.

David Gertschen

Phoenix, Arizona
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2019 3:51 pm    

@ James, any old pot style volume pedal, like your Goodrich, is considered a "passive" pedal.

Pedals that require a battery, or other power source (adapter) for an on-board preamp are called "active" pedals.

James Flaherty

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2019 5:37 pm    

Great, thanks. What's the difference from the newer ones?

David Gertschen

Phoenix, Arizona
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2019 10:11 am    

@James, not really sure what your question is? By "newer ones" if you mean active volume pedals, the powered preamp serves the purpose of eliminating the loss of high end tone that some attribute to the passive pot loading down the signal from the guitar's pickup.

The Hilton and Telonics pedals are examples of active circuits. A lot of players like their old pot pedals, but also use an external preamp, like the Brad Sarno box, to achieve the same goal. Other players don't use anything at all! It all comes down to personal sound preference of the player; there is no right or wrong answer.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2019 11:48 am    

I have always run my delay through the pre eq with no problems. Good Clean Tone never distortion or noise.