The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Standard deviations-Dan Jones pedal steel-great stuff !
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2015 12:28 pm    

I ran across this youtube from 2010, so it has probably been discussed on the forum before, but its so good and tasty its worth another look and listen and possibly some of y'all missed it!

I dont know Dan or any of the band, just happened to stumble into it, but it is a great group ! Nice sound !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz65_5QZqKw
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Chris Sattler

Hunter Valley, Australia
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2015 6:41 pm    

Larry I also stumbled across these guys about 12 months ago and I just love to watch and listen to them. Dan sounds great on that Mullen.

I can listen to this stuff all night. Just so well played with great intonation, touch, feel and tone. I think that just about sums up what makes a steel sound great.

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2015 6:47 pm    

Great stuff - Steel playing is so smooth, the band is very tight. This is the kind of group/sound that I would expect to be featured on an NPR segment!

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 21 Dec 2015 7:30 pm    

Steel on the Web -- where posts go to die...

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2015 10:43 pm    

Saw this the first time around. Really nice, steel and guitar. Great tone, understated Chalkeresque.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2015 11:06 pm    

Loved this track!

Neil McCollum

Asheville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2015 6:06 am    

Nice!

Urban Breen

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2015 3:06 pm    

So nice - sweet & smooth!

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2015 6:09 pm    

Here is another great one by this group doing "Thats All"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0nrQ4FRmrA

i wont take up more space by posting any more here, as you could do a search on standard deviations and find more, but I love this kind of thing...makes me want to throw my steel and guitar out the window ! haha
Not really, very inspirational.

Is Dan on the forum, does anyone know him...great player and a fine group he plays with !
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2015 6:33 pm    

Love these guys... contact Dan and get the whole CD
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

John Bresler

Thornton, Colorado
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2015 7:39 am    

I don't know if Dan is a forum member. Dan is a professor of music at the University of colorado.

I have seen him play at many Denver steel shows and he is absolutely flawless in his presentations. Great person to meet in person, also. I once heard that when Dan went to college in San Francisco he chose the pedal steel guitar as his primary instrument. I know for sure he knows the C6th neck like the back of his hand and can really play.

Chuck Lettes is now in charge of the Denver steel show and may know how to contact Dan in order to get his CD's.

Cool Cool

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2015 2:27 pm    

Thanks for posting that information....very interesting background....top notch player for sure...i was wondering too how to get his cd so maybe chuck will let us know[/list]

Chris Sattler

Hunter Valley, Australia
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2015 3:25 am    

Tom Quinn wrote:
Steel on the Web -- where posts go to die...

Merry Christmas Tom but what does this mean?

Neil McCollum

Post  Posted 25 Dec 2015 6:27 am    

Amazon has the CD...
I just ordered it.

Neil McCollum

Post  Posted 25 Dec 2015 7:43 am    

Oops, this is some sax player. My bad! Sad

Neil McCollum

Post  Posted 25 Dec 2015 7:48 am    

Here is the CD source:
http://www.standarddeviationsjazz.com/SDMusicFrame.html

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2015 1:32 pm    

Thanks for posting that information....very interesting background....top notch player for sure...i was wondering too how to get his cd so maybe chuck will let us know[/list]

dlaurice

Yorkville, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2018 12:04 am    

I happened to stumble across this old thread. I took some lessons from Dan back in the 1970s. At the time he was living in Agua Caliente or one of those small towns outside Sonoma CA. He was playing for Norton Buffalo at the time. Dan was a great player then, and simply fabulous now. I really do not remember why Dan attached himself to the steel, but his is an interesting case study. As someone mentioned above, he started his music education at a music conservatory in San Francisco (he is now A Phd in musicology). Needless to say, he was the only steel player at the school and he had no mentor. He was largely self-taught. Even then, Dan's touch and tone were amazing. His approach to the steel was that it was an instrument theoretically capable of playing anything. He was not limited by genre and we spent a lot of time working on standards and some jazz, exclusively on E9 (my capabilities were very limited). Many of us get interested in steel because of country music, and most teachers play primarily that(of course the money, such as it was, was in country music which is why Dan was playing with Norton Buffalo). Anyway, Dan seemed to enjoy playing just about anything and he could play just about anything well. His open approach in the early years really shows today.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2018 2:35 am    

He was just playing at the Irish Steel Guitar Festival this last weekend. I enjoyed it. I have a Norton Buffalo record and if I knew that he was on it I would have mentioned it to him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVMrZU-Eqvs

dlaurice

Yorkville, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2018 7:59 am    

I saw Dan live once with Norton, but I don't know whether Dan ever did any recording with him.