The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  JUst Finished 6 String Keyless
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2018 9:25 am    

This 6 string keyless, 22 1/2" scale was just completed for a customer. This is the first colored guitar I've done with a tru-oil finish. Very difficult. Tru-oil works best on natural wood. I would like to try another one but these arthritic hands just don't want to cooperate. Paul asked me to build a keyed version of the keyless he has now,,,I'm working on that and that may be my last one. I need to start playing more anyway,,,LOL

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2018 9:45 am    

What did you use for dye? I did a red one and a turquoise one but I used Minwax wipe on poly. Both seemed to work out OK. Yours came out very nice. Always like to view your builds. Very Happy How do you like the Alumitone Pup? Is it a Rifian?

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2018 9:50 am    

Another work of art! Any trouble you had with the Tru-oil sure doesn’t show anywhere. I’m sorry about your hands and can totally sympathize.

George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2018 11:41 am     Congrats

Whoo- Hooo Shades of Blue. Cheers !!
YouTube Channel

Joe Elk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2018 1:16 pm    

Fantastic build!!!!
Joe Elk Central Ohio

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2018 1:50 pm    

Sonny, I love to see your builds. I'm mechanically minded as you know but I don't have the skill or patience for wood. My grandfather would be ashamed of me - I'm sitting in a chair he made! Your keyless tuner looks commendably simple.

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 12 Oct 2018 1:58 pm    

Whoaaa,,,thanks for the kind words,,,makes an old man feel good!!!! I use a stain called TransTint,,,,mixed with water,,,whether sprayed or brushed on, it raises the grain,,,then sanding back down,,,,whether steel wool, scotch pad, wet/dry,,,removes color. I actually sanded down and re colored twice. The last time I just didn't take it down all the way to "slick smooth",,,and of course, that shows up in the lack of sheen that I try hard to achieve with tru-oil. Tom Pettingill was a master and my inspiration for tru-oil finish,,,but I don;t think he ever did a colored guitar,,,always natural wood.

I'm wondering if an alcohol mixture would raise the grain as much,,,,or maybe more?

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 13 Oct 2018 8:21 am    

I'm probably going to do some experimenting with color,,,using alcohol mixture,,,maybe even tinting the tru-oil,,,,or maybe tint in a sealer?

I was just thinking,,,I've probably built and sold over 50 guitars,,,6,8,10,12 string,,,all keyless,,,and other than the special order,,commission if you will, they were all built for my own use,,,,then someone wanted it,,,so I sold it, then built me another one. If I have to stop making them, I've had a good run,,,been fun and I've learned a few things along the way. Thanks to everyone who has supported my endeavors.

Marvin Raff

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2018 11:11 am    

Beautiful!!

Marv

Robert Engel

Walnut Bottom, Pa.
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2018 7:00 am    

Sonny,
I built a lap steel out of pine ( first attempt ). I wanted the wood grain to show thru, so I used leather dye to stain it. It did not raise the grain, but if you overlapped strokes with the applicator (read rag ), it showed. if I were to do it again, I think I would spray the dye.

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2018 7:52 am    

I use a rag with a cotton ball wrapped inside of it. I never encountered your overlap problem, but one way to fix it is take another rag with denatured alcohol on it and you can blend it even. I use maple, but maybe pine is more apt to show brush marks? I'm sure spraying will work great as well.