The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  PF350 with a Quilter Steelaire..How do they match up???
Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2018 4:21 pm    

and go!

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2018 4:17 am     PF 350 speaker with Quilter Steelaire...how do they match up

I had a 350 I used with a rack mount Steelaire and I was very happy with it. The weight of the 350 finally got to me so I switched to a TT-12. I can't tell much difference in the two, certainly not enough to justify the extra weight.

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2018 4:20 am    

Weight doesnt bother me and willing to sacrifice weight for the best tone. Ive heard the tt speakers and they dont do anything for me personally. I think they would flub out at lower volumes where the pf350 would handle the power as well

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2018 7:17 pm    

Quentin Hickey wrote:
Weight doesnt bother me and willing to sacrifice weight for the best tone. Ive heard the tt speakers and they dont do anything for me personally. I think they would flub out at lower volumes where the pf350 would handle the power as well

Hey Quentin. Not sure in what scenario you heard my speakers “flub out”, but that’s not normal. They are rated at 300 watts, and can easily handle every bit of that. If you just don’t like the sound of them, that’s fine. Just wanted to make sure you didn’t hear a busted one or something. Lots of people loving them, including many of my heroes on the instrument.

To answer your actual question, I have played one of Paul’s speakers through a Quilter head and it sounded just fine. As George has correctly observed, they are VERY similar sounding speakers to mine...honestly to the point where I suspect many players wouldn’t be able to tell the difference in a blind test. You can look at the response graphs for the two speakers and see how similarly they’re voiced. We both were essentially going for the same thing, just with different technologies. We were both using Peavey 1201-8 speakers before these two models existed.

They fall into two different speaker categories due to the construction type, with the most considerable difference being in weight. 7.1lbs vs 21.5lbs.

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2018 2:51 am    

Does anyone else have any opinions on the PF 350 used in conjunction with the steelaire rack mount amp? I want to purchase one but would like some opinions thanks!