The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  tracy byrd love lessons
Jeremy Drawbaugh

scottsboro, al usa
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2018 3:00 pm    

I'm having trouble getting the run over the 5 chord. this should be easy and sounds easy but I'm having trouble getting it exactly like the record. anybody get any ideas
BOSS DD-3 BOSS CHORUS EFFECT
NEUBAR REVERB
NASHVILLE 112/400
TELONICS VOLUME PEDAL
STEELER'S CHOICE PAK-A-SEAT

Butch Pytko

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2018 6:37 pm    

If you mean the intro that's repeated through-out the Tracy
Byrd "Love Lessons" song, here is what I'm hearing and getting on my guitar. I've always called it "The Circle" lick, because it sounds like it's going in a circle.

Tracy Byrd "Love Lessons" lick--E9--Key of E
Pedal A..B-C#
Pedal B..G#-A
Pedal C..E-F#
.........B-C#
VK..B-Bb
KL..E-Eb

By the way, the last part of this lick, which I call "The Circle", is almost identical to the lick that Tom Brumley does on Dwight Yoakam's "I Sang Dixie".

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2018 12:34 am    

Jeremy, in addition to Butch’s post may I suggest that you have a backup plan?

We’re all human and playing it the way Butch posted sounds incredible but when I’m having an off night I use only the 5th string once it flows to the 5 chord. In fact, I did it that way tonight on a show in Fort Worth because I’m using a guitar I just purchased and it doesn’t feel the way I want yet. After the song ended Reece’s widow commented on how pretty it was.

In the end the audience doesn’t know or care(unless there’s a steeler in the crowd) so you may consider practicing it both ways. If I had my laptop I’d illustrate exactly what I mean but I’m on a cell phone. We’ll be in Niceville FL in the near future. If you want to come and talk shop I’ll gladly show you what I mean about the 5th string alternative.

Good luck and best regards,

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Jeremy Drawbaugh

scottsboro, al usa
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2018 4:44 pm    

Thanks guys
I think when I was trying to work this up I was offing an off night I finally found what was tabbed here but I’ll give your suggestion a whirl Marty.

Kyle Everson

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2018 7:12 pm    

Apologies to Butch if I’ve misread his tab, but the 8th fret chord on strings 8&5 should be A pedal and F lever (E-F). If you don’t have the B-Bb lower (like me), you can play the diminished chord (on beat 3) at the fourth fret, strings 8&5 with the E-F lever engaged. I agree it’s a quick move, but that’s why it’s fun!

Any idea who the player is? Sounds like TW to my ears.