The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Extension Speaker
Jim Saunders

Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2018 7:44 am    

How do you run an passive extension speaker off a NV112? Connect to the speaker line?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2018 5:42 am    

Short answer, you don't! This amp has no provision for running an extension speaker, and doing so may damage the amp. You can run the "preamp out" to another amp or the PA system, though.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2018 6:07 am    

A Tommy Huff cabinet with a Jay Ganz amp inside it would make an awesome extension.

As Donny said it is not designed for an extension speaker. Same goes for the Nashville 400 and lots of other amps. The amp is rated for a 4 ohm load, nothing less. An extension speaker at 4 ohms would reduce total load to 2 ohms thereby causing the output transistors to overheat and fail.

Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2018 9:11 am    

It can be done with a little creativity. Two 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel is a 4 ohm load. You would need 2 8 ohm speakers and would need to use them all the time. Tim Webber sells an impedance matching device that goes between the amp and speaker that allows you to mach impedance from 2 to 16 ohms. There are probably other solutions as well. Good luck.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2018 9:29 am    

Jim Kennedy wrote:
It can be done with a little creativity. Two 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel is a 4 ohm load. You would need 2 8 ohm speakers and would need to use them all the time. Tim Webber sells an impedance matching device that goes between the amp and speaker that allows you to mach impedance from 2 to 16 ohms. There are probably other solutions as well. Good luck.

+1
You also have to split the speaker cable and wire up a jack, of course. Similar to what Donny said, preamp out to a powered speaker would be an easier solution, and wouldn’t involve swapping out your awesome 4ohm speaker.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2018 10:46 am    

If you really need another sound source (like for the opposite side of the stage) it's probably easier to just buy and use another (cheapie) amp. That way, you'll have some control over the volume, tone, and EFX. Another small (used) amp can often be had for the same price as one new speaker. It'll also serve as a standby if your main amp (or someone else's) craps out unexpectedly. Wink

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2018 11:27 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:
If you really need another sound source (like for the opposite side of the stage) it's probably easier to just buy and use another (cheapie) amp. That way, you'll have some control over the volume, tone, and EFX. Another small (used) amp can often be had for the same price as one new speaker. It'll also serve as a standby if your main amp (or someone else's) craps out unexpectedly. Wink

As long as the cheap amp has a power amp input or an FX return jack, this would work for sending the NV 112 preamp signal to it. Same as with a powered speaker, which is a very handy little item to have around anyway. You probably would not like the sound of a preamp out signal to the front end of another amp. If you wanted to send a stereo signal out to both amps, that is a different herd of monkeys.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2018 12:44 pm    

It's actually simple to add an extension jack to these, but only a qualified amp tech should do it.

If it needs a fairly precise load then the tech might need to change the stock speakers as well.

But if the NV112 is like 90% of solid-state amps speaker impedance matching is not critical. *Most* solid state amps have no problem with running an extension speaker cab of the same impedance in parallel.

But since It's simple to call Peavy and verify one way or the other I would not do it without checking with them.

Tube amps, OTOH, often require fairly precise impedance matching. Most blackface and silverface Fender can handle half or double the "normal" impedance. Marshall and some other tube brands require impedance matching and often have switches that use different output transformer "taps" to allow for extension cabinets.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2018 1:20 pm    

The minimum load impedance for a Nashville 112 is 4 Ohms, as Donny and Ken have stated. You can run the amp at a higher impedance load, at the cost of less power, but not at a lower impedance load.

If you look at this thread announcing the Nashville 112 ins 2003 - https://www.steelguitarforum.com/Forum11/HTML/003276.html - you will see from Mike Brown's last post that the Nashville 112 started out with an 8 Ohm speaker and an extension jack to add an 8 Ohm extension speaker for a total of 4 Ohms, which as he stated there, is the minimum load. If anybody on planet Earth knows what the minimum load is for any Peavey amp, it's Mike - he works for Peavey and he is their point guy on this kind of stuff. Ignore his advice at your own peril.

I can tell you with certainty that by the time I got mine in 2005 or so, they had eliminated the extension speaker jack and gone with a 4 Ohm Blue Marvel speaker.

So - you should NOT add an extension cab in parallel with the stock 4 Ohm speaker present on almost all Nashville 112 amps. I've seen a bunch and I've never seen one with the stock 8 Ohm speaker and the extension jack, but there are no doubt some out there. Of course, you could replace the stock 4 Ohm speaker with an 8 Ohm speaker and then wire an extension jack in parallel to hook up another 8 Ohm extension speaker. I would really not recommend putting two 4 Ohm speakers in series - the power output will go down with the resulting 8 Ohms. Far better IMO to just run a preamped signal out of the included preamp-out jack (on the back, next to the XLR line-out) to the input of a powered extension cab if you want more juice, want to distribute the sound, or do whatever you have in mind.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2018 2:02 pm    

Summary

Two 4-ohm speakers wired parallel = 2 ohms = fried resistors.

Two 4-ohm speakers wired series = 8 ohms = lowered output

Two 8-ohm speakers wired parallel = 4 ohms = safe for Nashville 112

No extension speaker jack = tech support for splitting output signal and installing jack

Pre-amp out to powered speaker or power amp in of 2nd amp = 3 votes here so far.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2018 2:34 pm    

Quote:
Two 4-ohm speakers wired parallel = 2 ohms = fried resistors.

More likely fried output transistors, as Ken stated. Maybe resistors would go with them, but the big deal is that the transistors tend to overheat if they're pushed with too small an impedance load. Too much current flows, they overheat, that simple.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2018 3:46 pm    

Tough crowd...

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2018 5:10 pm    

If your 2nd (slave) amp doesn't have a power amp input or EFX return jack, you can always daisy-chain the amps together with a cord running from the (other) input jack of the main amp into the input jack of the slave amp. (The other input jack in a Peavey is 10 db down, but it'll probably still work.)

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2018 5:34 pm    

What are you wanting to accomplish by running a second speaker?

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Bobby Bonds Sr.

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2018 5:28 am     spread your sound

sometimes I would have to play too loud for my ear so my bassman could hear me. He kept saying turn it up! so I carried a second speaker which is as big as an amp. Now I carry two amps and set one on each side of the stage. Steelaire behind me, and my NV112 or Evans 300 behind the bassman. Now everyone's happy.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2018 6:55 am    

I used to have a Peavey PX300 powered speaker that I ran on the other side of the stage. I ran it from the preamp out of my NV400. Not only could band members hear better but any customers on that side could hear me better. It had a volume control, so they could adjust the volume.

That would be my solution. Pretty much any powered speaker, or regular speaker cab and power amp would work.