The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Best sound today in over 50 years of playing.
Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2018 11:00 am    

This is so nice to hear George. I’m glad I could contribute something to a setup you’re so happy with.

A note about cabinets...I actually designed/tweaked the TT-12 with an open back cabinet. That being said, I am VERY particular about the cabinet size, and also the size of the opening on the back as well. Both of those variables make an enormous difference in sound/tone, and they are often very overlooked by players. Just a small difference in cabinet depth, width, or height can affect things greatly.

-t

Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2018 7:13 pm    

Travis: so what cabinet and configuration do you find optimal for your speaker?

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2018 7:53 pm     Best sound today in over 50 years of playing.ugh

I just guessed at the size of the cabinet I built. I want to make a matched set for my Stereo Steel and Evans stereo pre-amp. I would really would like to have your input concerning cabinet dimensions and back opening size.

Lyle Dent

Little Rock ,Arkansas
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2018 11:42 am     Speaker Cab

George, don’t change anything about your cabinet. I put a BW 1501-4 in the one I got from you and it sounds great.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2018 12:25 pm     Best sound today in over 50 years of playing.

Thanks, Lyle. I am glad you like the cabinet. I also like my cabinet just fine. I am curious as to the difference in size compared to Travis's one. He has more experience than me and has done more experimenting. If it's not broken,don't fix it I guess.

Glenn Demichele

Post  Posted 17 Oct 2018 5:48 pm    

What a great forum. I did a search, and Travis already told us:
"I have done tons of research with cabinet dimensions, and did extensive testing with different cabinets when we were developing the TT-12. My dimension preference for that speaker is around 16’’ W, 12’’ D, 16’’ H, and you'll want a centered cutout on the back of the cabinet...running the whole width by about 4.5" high. "

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2018 7:15 pm     Best sound today in over 50 years of playing.ugh

Glenn, bless your little pea picking heart. The cabinets I built were 19 x 19 x 11. Travis's cabinets are smaller. Maybe they would be better for a 12" speaker, which is what I use. I think mine sounds great, but I don't have anything to compare to. I build my own cabinets, so I will give Travis's dimensions a try. That way, I will have one of each size I can sit side by side and do a comparison . In general, I think larger cabinets sound better, but I have the utmost respect for Travis's work in this area, especially with his speaker.

Glenn Demichele

Post  Posted 17 Oct 2018 7:32 pm    

Please let us all know what you think! In my opinion, cabinets are the most dominant factor in live sound.

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2018 9:58 pm     Re: Best sound today in over 50 years of playing.ugh

George Kimery wrote:
Glenn, bless your little pea picking heart. The cabinets I built were 19 x 19 x 11. Travis's cabinets are smaller. Maybe they would be better for a 12" speaker, which is what I use. I think mine sounds great, but I don't have anything to compare to. I build my own cabinets, so I will give Travis's dimensions a try. That way, I will have one of each size I can sit side by side and do a comparison . In general, I think larger cabinets sound better, but I have the utmost respect for Travis's work in this area, especially with his speaker.

Hey George. Sorry I missed seeing the continuation of this conversation. Been busy the last couple of days. Looks like Glenn already posted the dimensions I like. Your dimensions aren’t all that different. When it gets down to smaller differences like that, and also the size of the opening on the back, you’re really just in tweak mode for what you wanna hear. I would imagine your existing cab is gonna sound pretty similar to what I like. I’ve got about 63 sq in of opening on the back of my cabs. That ratio is at times, even more important than a couple inches of difference on the cab size. It REALLY has an impact on the bass response, and bass/volume loss that you experience out the back of the cabinet. I like the cab to breathe, but there’s that sweet spot where it’s just right, and you’re not losing too much. Glad you’re loving the speaker, and I’ll try to stay up on this thread as much as I can. 👍🏻

-t

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2018 6:32 am     Best sound today in over 50 years of playing.

Travis, this is quite a coincidence. I made my cabinets 3" larger than yours by pure accident. A 15" speaker is 3" larger than a 12". I made mine so it could accommodate a 12" or 15"
speaker. With this in mind, I am just going to stay with the 19" cabinet. I can't convince myself that there would be enough difference in the sound to warrant the change. I think my cabinet sounds great as is, as do others.

I want to thank you for all the time you spent with Eminence and all the experimenting you did to bring a great, lightweight speaker to steel guitar. Job well done.

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2018 8:21 am     Re: Best sound today in over 50 years of playing.

George Kimery wrote:
Travis, this is quite a coincidence. I made my cabinets 3" larger than yours by pure accident. A 15" speaker is 3" larger than a 12". I made mine so it could accommodate a 12" or 15"
speaker. With this in mind, I am just going to stay with the 19" cabinet. I can't convince myself that there would be enough difference in the sound to warrant the change. I think my cabinet sounds great as is, as do others.

I want to thank you for all the time you spent with Eminence and all the experimenting you did to bring a great, lightweight speaker to steel guitar. Job well done.

Yeah I think you’re probably good to go on that cabinet you’ve already got, especially if you’re digging it. That’s all that matters! Thanks for your kind words, and I’m so glad you love the speaker. Spread the good word!

-t