The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  U12 chord Chart
Justin Emmert

Greensboro, NC
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2018 10:26 am    

I am just beginning to work with Cowboys tuning with no previous C6 experience. I'm following Steve Palouseks C6 DVD's and transposing for B6 the best I can.

So far, what I think I have possibly learned is here, and I will edit it as I go and learn more. Listing pedals as 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 as in the copedant.

One thing you have to remember is that on the Cowboy copedant or any Universal tuning for that matter, strings 3-12 are your main B6 strings, while on a C6 neck, they would be numbered 1-10. A lot of common C6 tunings first string is a D, while the Universal 3rd string is a G#. Howver in Cowboys copedant, you can get that D by using string 2 with the LKR engaged. Basically, not all of the triad chord grips in C6 will necessarily work the same as Universal, so you will need to play around with it to find the right string combinations. I'm working through that on Cowboys tuning now.

Here is what I have so far on Cowboys pedals vs. standard C6.

Cowboy------->Standard C6

P1+2...................P7
P5.......................P8 (boowah)
P6.......................P5

The vertical on Cowboys Coped gives you what they call the C-lever.

Will update as I get feedback and continue to learn.

Cameron Fulp

Lindale Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2018 7:55 pm    

Justin Emmert wrote:
I am just beginning to work with Cowboys tuning with no previous C6 experience. I'm following Steve Palouseks C6 DVD's and transposing for B6 the best I can.

So far, what I think I have possibly learned is here, and I will edit it as I go and learn more. Listing pedals as 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 as in the copedant.

One thing you have to remember is that on the Cowboy copedant or any Universal tuning for that matter, strings 3-12 are your main B6 strings, while on a C6 neck, they would be numbered 1-10. A lot of common C6 tunings first string is a D, while the Universal 3rd string is a G#. Howver in Cowboys copedant, you can get that D by using string 2 with the LKR engaged. Basically, not all of the triad chord grips in C6 will necessarily work the same as Universal, so you will need to play around with it to find the right string combinations. I'm working through that on Cowboys tuning now.

Here is what I have so far on Cowboys pedals vs. standard C6.

Cowboy------->Standard C6

P1+2...................P7
P5.......................P8 (boowah)
P6.......................P5

The vertical on Cowboys Coped gives you what they call the C-lever.

Will update as I get feedback and continue to learn.

Justin I was hoping you would chime in here considering we have talked about this before, thanks a lot for your input and this list you just mentioned was a GEM ! I can hear the sounds, but I sometimes have a hard time putting the theory together. This helps me. Thank you brother

Austin Tripp

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2018 10:45 pm    

I use to use Cowboys tuning exactly the way it was on the BMI site. But I changed it a bit just to suite my needs! I've used this tuning now for 3 years and it's awesome. I can get all of the C6th and E9th that I could on my D10, but with fewer strings lol.

Justin Emmert

Greensboro, NC
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2018 11:45 am    

Thanks for the input Austin. Hope to see you play with Cody Jinks soon!

So it's all in one place, I forgot this discussion had been done before. Obviously, I've been busy playing bass and not practicing steel. Here's the link:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=300921&highlight=universal