The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Using a Condenser Mic on a Dobro into a Fishman Loudbox
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2018 11:08 am    

This could just as easily go under Steels Without Pedals, but....

I have been amplifying my dobro for the past several years with an Audio Technica AT2021 clip-on condenser mic going straight into the PA. This has always worked very well for me in a no-drums roots band that does not play especially loud rooms. Recently, I began picking up some gigs with a singer songwriter who just has his guitar and mic go straight into a Fishman Loudbox amp (no PA). No problem for me on pedal steel, but I decided I needed an amp for my dobro.

I just picked up an older Loudbox 100. It's a little hard to tell in my study, but my impression is that a) it very faithfully reproduces the sound of the dobro (with a little bit of fiddling with knobs and the placement of the AT2021) but b) the feedback vs. volume is a little touchy. It might be that in a larger room, in a real gig environment, with the amp in front of me and facing away (as it is in my study), there will be plenty of volume; we'll see.

Wondering whether any fellow Forumites have experience with a condenser mic straight into a Fishman Loudbox.

Thanks for any feedback (no, no: the other kind!)

Jim Bates

Alvin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2018 4:38 pm    

I played many shows at at live opry with AKG C1000S condenser mike. Mike was on a boom stand with the mike pointed down at the 2 O'clock position of resonator, when you are playing. Fed it direct to house PA. I kept my monitor very low, kept away from drums and bass. I could hear it fine through the house PA. We had big stage with plenty of room to spread out. Minimal feedback, great natural reosnator sound.

This setup will probably NOT work very well in big noisy dancehall venue.

Thanx,
Jim

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2018 5:50 pm    

I play my dobro with a 70 dollar Apex 565 clip on condenser mic with a mini gooseneck. Dont let the lowprice turn you off. Its a great mic for the $,and the others are not worth 2 to 4x.

Has been an excellent and inexpensive solution.

My further suggestion is to couple this to a acoustic preamp that has a parametric notch or mid to knock out feedback or boom..

I used a Headway EDB2 acoustic pre (unique in that it has phantom power) with my Fishman loudbox Mini (no phantom power) which is overall a pretty expensive solution..

But found complete satisfaction in the discontinued Shenendoah line of acoustic amps which have on board parametric mid eq and phantom power making this a perfect low fuss low cost performance solution.

Carl Mesrobian

Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2018 1:37 am    

DPA mic. I go through whatever I want, but usually direct through the house and back through a monitor.

They are expensive, but I've gotten over the pain of the money and not worried about it.

The Apex looks like a good deal, but I have not tried one.

You're free to come visit and try the DPA.

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 10 Oct 2018 2:01 am    

Thanks for all the ideas on mics. Still hoping to hear from someone about using one in the Loudbox.

Carl, yes I'd like to come check it out. Can't believe we've never gotten together since we live so close.

Carl Mesrobian

Post  Posted 10 Oct 2018 2:23 am    

I just drove through Durham on Monday on my way back from N Berwick. anything to avoid I-95 at rush hour Smile

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 10 Oct 2018 2:31 am    

Oh man! Let me know next time you're coming through, and I'll do the same when I head down your way.

Carl Mesrobian

Post  Posted 10 Oct 2018 6:10 am    

Will do!